• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the out-of-register run

151 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, N e r V said:

How do you price these things?

I’m guessing they lose value for the defect but gain for the novelty factor? 

So how far away are they from regular editions in price?

Hard to say. I only have two of them. Like domuhator, I needed the Junior Miss 27 above for my run. I bought it from Terry at WonderCon for around a hundred bucks. He had it graded at 7.0. Does CGC knock down books like this? Or is it a "production error"?

These comics were printed on large fast running web presses. There were probably 60-100 printed before they discovered the error. Most probably made it in the final count since it was just a 10 cent comic book. I don't see a whole lot of them. To the right person, it might actually get a slight bump in price kind of like multiple covers.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Hard to say. I only have two of them. Like domuhator, I needed the Junior Miss 27 above for my run. I bought it from Terry at WonderCon for around a hundred bucks. He had it graded at 7.0. Does CGC knock down books like this? Or is it a "production error"?

These comics were printed on large fast running web presses. There were probably 60-100 printed before they discovered the error. Most probably made it in the final count since it was just a 10 cent comic book. I don't see a whole lot of them. To the right person, it might actually get a slight bump in price kind of like multiple covers.

Thanks. They’re kind of cool in some cases. I wouldn’t want to pay big money for one that was a key or classic cover though.

Something neat to have in your collection though as an oddity.

On 3/31/2018 at 10:11 PM, Straw-Man said:

"upgrade" to a plain ol' copy of that'un, and i'll take that poor, pitiful thing off your hands.  gladly.

I'm kind of fond of it now haha. I would still buy a "regular" one but ill be keeping this one I think.

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I paid "standard" price for my Hedy. The seller wanted a premium originally. But after we talked about it we agreed it would only be worth more to the right buyer, and that was not me.

On 4/1/2018 at 11:58 AM, Robot Man said:

Interesting question.  I don't think I've seen many of them slabbed.  

On 3/31/2018 at 10:30 PM, N e r V said:

How do you price these things?

I’m guessing they lose value for the defect but gain for the novelty factor? 

So how far away are they from regular editions in price?

I think the books are at least the same value as the regular editions. The novelty factor has to add some value, as I don't know anyone that doesn't like books like this.

I absolutely love my out of register-double cover Planet Comics 40 and greatly prefer owning it over a regular version and I imagine there are others that feel the same as me.

PLanetComics48front_zpsb521dd0a.jpg

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps57bb

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I think the books are at least the same value as the regular editions. The novelty factor has to add some value, as I don't know anyone that doesn't like books like this.

I absolutely love my out of register-double cover Planet Comics 40 and greatly prefer owning it over a regular version and I imagine there are others that feel the same as me.

PLanetComics48front_zpsb521dd0a.jpg

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps57bb

I am so glad you and Billy love 'em, but my experience is that y'all are in the minority. Out of register books, at least when I have had them for sale, will sit unsold forever, or until I discount heavily AND call Billy Parker.

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:

I am so glad you and Billy love 'em, but my experience is that y'all are in the minority. Out of register books, at least when I have had them for sale, will sit unsold forever, or until I discount heavily AND call Billy Parker.

appreciate hearing the information. So from this I gather that most buyers prefer normal books perhaps thinking the odd book wont be re-sellable.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

appreciate hearing the information. So from this I gather that most buyers prefer normal books perhaps thinking the odd book wont be re-sellable.

We are a hobby that places a high value on perfection. Out of register books are very  imperfect.

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

We are a hobby that places a high value on perfection. Out of register books are very  imperfect.

I agree.

Perhaps the very high grade nature of my book and its uniqueness is what grabs me.

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I agree.

Perhaps the very high grade nature of my book and its uniqueness is what grabs me.

Yours has so many cool things going for it.