• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny book of the year 2013 - Everyone can vote!

405 posts in this topic

It's coming up to year's end once again - how do they go so fast? So Straw-man and I would like to resurrect the Funny book of the year idea. Sooo...

Reflecting on the current year, which three books you've acquired would you consider to be your books of the year?

This doesn't necessarily have to be about grade - it could be a $20 book in fair that you've searched for for 10 years.

Doesn't matter if you don't think you've got a snowflake's chance of winning! This is about inclusion! It's Christmas! So we want a lively, active thread in which everyone participates!

There will be three rounds to complete with the winning book announced on New Year's Day.

FIRST ROUND

The first stage is to invite you to submit up to three books you've acquired this year.

Submissions allowed until Midnight Christmas Eve (midnight wherever you are).

At least two of your books should be golden age.

Any restoration should be noted.

They should all be books you still own.

To avoid confusion, you cant change your submissions once made.

SECOND ROUND

Voting to begin on Christmas Day.

Any boardie who submits can propose up to three books for the short list. Each book proposed gets one mark for each time proposed. Cant propose own books!

When you vote state the title, issue, grade and owner! (There could be more than one copy of a given book, so this will really help us keep the story straight.)

I suggest the short list is comprised of - shall we say this time? - the 20 books with the most votes plus ties.

Voting for short list ends Midnight 30th December.

You cant propose unless you submit, so if you want to vote, submit!

Everyone can propose, even if you don't submit.

SHORTLIST

20 book shortlist announced New Year's Eve.

Each boardie who submitted Anyone can then vote for three books - first, second and third choices.

Every first choice gets three marks, second choices get 2 marks, third choices 1 mark.

Voting ends at midnight New Year's Night (midnight wherever you are).

Three books with the most votes announced on New Year's Day at which point a no-prize will be awarded to universal acclaim to the proud owner of the book of the year.

Final pointers

Vote for what you like! Dont vote for a given book just because everyone else is.

Vote for the book, not the owner.

Billy and I will do our best to resolve any conundrums.

Does that seem like a workable format?

The year is young. Who knows what good stuff could pop up in the next month?

[font:Times New Roman]True enough, but some of that good stuff may not be fully paid for until the New Year.[/font] lol

There is always another wrinkle, and quite hard to foresee them all, but if someone has won a book they are paying off I'd say it is eligible even if they haven't yet received it, unless others disagree.

By the same token, I would've liked to include the Venus #19 I had graded this year, but it was in my collection as a raw copy for many years previous.

So if you purchased a book this year and kept it, it's eligible. The rest is geography. Or history!

Oh well, here are my three. If something better comes up I'll be delighted...

silverstreak7.jpg

terrytoons07cgc.jpg

And just like last year I have to include a silver age book...

ff01.jpg

pons will be able to nominate a bat 1 again!!

Indeed I will.

And I hope to nominate it every year, each year either increasing in grade, or decreasing in resto until the label is blue with OW/W pages or better :wishluck:

As most of you know, I was thrilled to pick up this copy at a local comic store in the Philly area. It was an upgrade for me in the resto reduction category AND in the eye appeal/color categories.

There truly is but one book for me, and Batman #1 is it. All others are great, but just funnybooks compared to my beloved Bat 1

Batman17_0_zps08adf7aa.jpg

The other two are tough to pick. I loved getting Amazing Fantasy #15 this year, but this is a GA thread, so I will not select it.

Having never owned this book before and landing a nice high grade copy of the original edition at the same store, on the same day, that I landed the Batman #1 requires inclusion in my submissions

ClassicComics1_zps48939173.jpg

Thrilled to have won this at the Heritage auction. Classic Simon & Kirby and high grade to boot :)

starspangled7vf-nm_zps9ead0f75.jpg