• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 14 Scam??

18 posts in this topic

Below is an e-mail exchange I had with the seller shortly before the auction ended. A polite, but somewhat predictable scammer response ! 27_laughing.gif

Dear comicsparadise

Could I please see a back cover scan for this book. Also, could you please provide your telephone number should I wish to discuss this purchase with you in person ? Thanks.

Regards

Beltan Ali. (r100comics)

My friend who takes pictures is gone for the weekend, so I won't be able to provide a scan of the back cover before the auction ends. Also, I will be happy to give out my number to the winning bidder, if that is you. Thank you for your interest!

Beltan,

Don't know if you remember me but I was the guy who helped you out with a particular Avengers 1 you had purchased from the same guy I had to track down and get my money refunded that turned up as restored from the guy in N.Y.

Regards,

Steve

Beltan,

Don't know if you remember me but I was the guy who helped you out with a particular Avengers 1 you had purchased from the same guy I had to track down and get my money refunded that turned up as restored from the guy in N.Y.

Regards,

Steve

OMG Steve - I did not realize it was you ! flowerred.gif

How are you buddy ? thumbsup2.gif

Steve went to great lengths to help me out, when he didn't know me from Adam, and helped me recover almost $2,000 on a NM Avengers #1 from a pretty sinister scammer in N.Y. State (I don't remember the town, but it was a rural location near the mountains). It turned out Steve had purchased the same book, and sent it to a paper restoration expert who verified it as restored. He had an absolute nightmare trying to track this individual down via phoney name/address details and his P.O. Box, like I did before Steve's intervention.

I purchased the book on the provision of a 90 day return policy, and took it to a high-profile London dealer who was supposedly experienced in spotting restoration. He confirmed this Avengers #1 as unrestored NM so I fast tracked the book off to CGC. This was the result:

623202-Avengers1CGC.jpg

623202-avengers1front.jpg

Of course the irony is that an Avengers #1 in CGC NM+ 9.6 Restored, is probably worth over $2,000 but that was not the point. At the end of the day, I see experiences like this as pretty valuable to one's education as you can be damned sure you never make the same mistakes twice. thumbsup2.gif

p.s. Now I would spot that cover trim with my eyes closed, but I still have to admit the color touch was superbly done with no bleed-through, and nothing showing under black light. That top edge of the cover (as visible in the label scan) has several areas that look suspicious to me though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

623202-avengers1front.jpg.c3031292509f67164c37ce7a413cf43f.jpg

I'm confussed it says it's Professional resto but I thought a book was always given Amatuer if it is trimmed. confused.gif

They don't classify trimming as either Amateur OR Professional. Books with trimming only don't have (A) or (P) next to the restoration text at all.

took it to a high-profile London dealer who was supposedly experienced in spotting restoration

Can you give me a clue as to this London dealer's identity for future reference. Just his initials would be fine. I can guess (although probably not the same dealer who once tried to sell me a clearly trimmed Daredevil 1 as unrestored)

Alan

Hey Beltan, The town was Haverstraw and I chased him for a little more then that. Took me 3 months but I did get the funds returned. Book was beautfiul. I was glad to help you out. It did turn up again but this time was already CGC'd again(?). Anyway nice to see you on the boards. I am still into the high grade silver keys and have a "few" nice ones.

Regards,

Steve