• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

I'm going to say this now, even though I'd love to be proved wrong:

I think the show, if it's ever actually made, will be terrible. I just cannot see how a TV series could come anywhere close to capturing the spirit of the books.

As a side issue, it would be very interesting to see what kind of reaction it would draw from Christian viewers. Has there ever been a successful mainstream show in the US dealing with blasphemy on a level like this?!

There has seldom been ANYTHING dealing with blasphemy on this level, mainstream or not, successful or not.

I think the show, if it's ever actually made, will be terrible. I just cannot see how a TV series could come anywhere close to capturing the spirit of the books.

As a side issue, it would be very interesting to see what kind of reaction it would draw from Christian viewers. Has there ever been a successful mainstream show in the US dealing with blasphemy on a level like this?!

I'm sure similar things were said about Breaking Bad or Dexter. "There's no way we can make a show with a sociopathic method dealer or murderer?!"

This show won't appeal to the Christian moral majority, but a lot of successful shows does just fine without their support. Even their protest can only really help the show publicity wise, they aren't going to get AMC to shut down production, and it'll just get more eyes on the product.

I'm sure similar things were said about Breaking Bad or Dexter. "There's no way we can make a show with a sociopathic method dealer or murderer?!"

This show won't appeal to the Christian moral majority, but a lot of successful shows does just fine without their support. Even their protest can only really help the show publicity wise, they aren't going to get AMC to shut down production, and it'll just get more eyes on the product.

Totally different ball game. I was going to list all the things that are likely to inflame and decided not to bother. Anyone who has read it knows.

I think we're a bit beyond "won't appeal" - I wouldn't be at all surprised at death threats, politicians seeking official censure/cancellation etc. etc.

That's of course if they made a show that was faithful to the book and IF it became popular or mainstream enough to merit that sort of attention.

Oh, and Christians zealots will boycott, picket, lobby and protest :D:devil:

Is it the reaction of the people that will protest that AMC would worry about or simply how on earth you could get advertisers/product placement "buy in" to a series like this?

Looking at Jesse, Tulip, Cassidy, Arseface... they are actually pretty morally justifiable either throughout the book or redeem themselves in various ways as the book progresses or ends. Jesse particularly tries to do what is right by his friends and those he feels need his protection that he encounters.

The conflict with God himself, origin of Saint of Killers and "The Messiah" are altogether another matter though. There surely has to be some concessions made in the translation to small screen if it is going to pass. I can see how the conflict with God could be tweaked to make him seem like a lot less of a self absorbed individual_without_enough_empathy... but where could you go with the Saint of Killers origin or "The Messiah" without rewriting that entirely?

The only other show on right now that I have seen with a lot of OTT religious content is "Supernatural", which involves an absent God, evil angels, killing angels, making deals with demons/the devil. Can't say I have heard of any mass protests about it. Again the main protagonists seem to struggle against both good and evil whilst carving their own morally justifiable path. I'm not saying there is a direct comparison between this show and the Preacher source material but there are parallels.

It's going to have to be watered down in places. :(

The television pitch has been developed for Sony Pictures Television by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and Breaking Bad series writer Sam Caitlin through producer Neal Moritz’ Original Pictures.

I have enjoyed their movies. How do you think their writing style will pair up with Preacher?

Same here - took me forever to get one for my personal collection.

For comparison purposes, here's what the two books look like:

preacher-1-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

preacher-preview-cgc-9.8-ss-copya-f.jpg

The #1 is usually the one that reflects being sought after in price though. Doesn't WD have Preview books with the difference of being contained in another title. You likely have more Previews than I do Michael but I personally have never valued it higher than #1.

I think it makes a large difference that this is a self-contained "issue" and not a couple of pages added to another book - I'd value the Preview at least 2x what a regular #1 goes for and probably even more in 9.8 :shrug:

I have about the same copies of both - I just personally favor the Preview, because #1s have always been very, very common.

And you balked at my 9.8 for $275 :whistle:

The fun is in the hunt :)

The #1 is usually the one that reflects being sought after in price though. Doesn't WD have Preview books with the difference of being contained in another title. You likely have more Previews than I do Michael but I personally have never valued it higher than #1.

I think it makes a large difference that this is a self-contained "issue" and not a couple of pages added to another book - I'd value the Preview at least 2x what a regular #1 goes for and probably even more in 9.8 :shrug:

I have about the same copies of both - I just personally favor the Preview, because #1s have always been very, very common.

Fingh translation: The fun is finding one raw, slabbing it yourself and having a $50 basis instead of a $275 basis.

WATCHMEN was once considered unfilmable, mostly due to the technological limitations of the time. Advances in CGI eliminated that challenge. The challenge for PREACHER has always been content. That's hasn't-- and won't ever-- change.

Will certainly be interesting to see how this develops.

It has to be a TV show, too much stuff to fit into less than 3 movies. But each trade can be a TV season, something like that. However, I was hoping HBO would get it. I don't think you can really show the Gomorrah People, Saint of Killer rampages, the juicier uses of The Word, etc., on basic cable. I could reserve judgment, but as an internet commentator, I won't.

That it is, that it is :grin:

Oh, and Christians zealots will boycott, picket, lobby and protest :D:devil:

Is it the reaction of the people that will protest that AMC would worry about or simply how on earth you could get advertisers/product placement "buy in" to a series like this?

Looking at Jesse, Tulip, Cassidy, Arseface... they are actually pretty morally justifiable either throughout the book or redeem themselves in various ways as the book progresses or ends. Jesse particularly tries to do what is right by his friends and those he feels need his protection that he encounters.

The conflict with God himself, origin of Saint of Killers and "The Messiah" are altogether another matter though. There surely has to be some concessions made in the translation to small screen if it is going to pass. I can see how the conflict with God could be tweaked to make him seem like a lot less of a self absorbed individual_without_enough_empathy... but where could you go with the Saint of Killers origin or "The Messiah" without rewriting that entirely?

The only other show on right now that I have seen with a lot of OTT religious content is "Supernatural", which involves an absent God, evil angels, killing angels, making deals with demons/the devil. Can't say I have heard of any mass protests about it. Again the main protagonists seem to struggle against both good and evil whilst carving their own morally justifiable path. I'm not saying there is a direct comparison between this show and the Preacher source material but there are parallels.

It's going to have to be watered down in places. :(

I agree. I think the items you mention would be the toughest. They would need to tweak some things. My guess is that they would probably write "the Messiah" out totally. I imagine that portraying the direct descendent of JC as a slobbering, poo-slinging, half-wit would probably some people off and put off quite few sponsors.

I just flipped through the Preacher Preview, and after going through it, I definitely feel that it won't be the book the pursue. Its 6 pages and doesn't feel like anything important. It feels comparable to the WD Preview that was in Capes #1.

Preacher #1 will be the one to get.

I kind of feel bad that I sold my extra copy of Preacher #1 for $10 on MCS last month. I still have a complete set though.

Seems like it is a 50/50 thought on what is better...

Preview or #1

I respect the opinions of many in this thread but if you haven't chased down a high grade Preview, you might not realize how tough they are. I attend around 10-15 shows each year and while I have purchased multiple Preacher 1s, I was unable to find any high grade Previews and only 2-3 Previews in total (this past year).

My 9.8 SS isn't for sale, so I feel like the speculation for me is not relevant.

I hope that makes sense lol

I would be more then happy to trade for Previews if anyone wants to get out on the high? Plenty of books for trade ;)

JJ