• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

You have to figure in that a big part of this speculation also has to do with the show being on AMC arguably the best fable network, and in the realm of the premiums like HBO.

I always wonder about the other side of these things, people not coming from the comic angle but from the film/tv collectible angle mi know there's some crossover but there's also very unique sets as well.

Cover Dates:

Absolute Vertigo - Winter 1995

Preacher Preview - January 1, 1995

Preacher #1 - April 1, 1995

On Sale Dates:

Absolute Vertigo - January 24, 1995

Preacher #1 - February 28, 1995

I can't find the "On Sale" Date for Preacher Preview, but either way it was on sale before the other two.

It came with the Monthly Previews though right? My guess would be whenever the Previews for November or December shipped in 1994.

it's the december 1994 issue. there's an interview with ennis too, good luck finding it though.

It came with the Monthly Previews though right? My guess would be whenever the Previews for November or December shipped in 1994.

hmmmm..... a diamond previews had the first preacher appearance. im not surprised.

It didn't. It was a stand-alone insert included with the Diamond catalog. The actual catalog is worthless.

hmmmm..... a diamond previews had the first preacher appearance. im not surprised.

It didn't. It was a stand-alone insert included with the Diamond catalog. The actual catalog is worthless.

oh I see, A preview in a preview magazine is worthless but if it's removable then it's a first appearance.

IMG_1858_zps9b6386c2.jpg

IMG_1857_zps01366d96.jpg

IMG_1855_zps6567df80.jpg

IMG_2667_zpsb62eeb1f.jpg

Damn you market!! Why won't you goose my Previews hoard with 1st appearance monies?? :frustrated:

The "Market has Spoken" is now the working title of a poem in progress by me. It's going to be an alliterative assault on those who propagate preposterous idea that a first appearance is anything but the literal definition of appearance.

( I may also call it " Beating a Dead Horse " )

oh I see, A preview in a preview magazine is worthless but if it's removable then it's a first appearance.

It wasn't "removable" (ala the Maus inserts in RAW magazine). It was a stand-alone publication.

But, to answer your question, yes.

How does a "first appearance" outside of comic book continuity actually constitute as a "first appearance"?

I'm curious to know, because I sincerely have never understood the line of thinking that an advertisement or any other sort of visual promotion designed to increase awareness and sales before a product is actually released is actually the "first appearance".

Yes - I suppose taken to a completely literal sense, it could be a first appearance - however, wouldn't the original sketch by the artist be the first true "appearance"? How about the graphic designer's page layout proofs before the catalog is published? Those would be a "first appearance" as well - since by this literal mode of thinking - the first time someone *sees* the character it's the *first appearance*. Or is there some imaginary line between when the appearance is published in something for mass consumption and when it is published in continuity with the story?

This is a discussion I've had with people for almost 20 years, and outside of personal collecting preference, I've never heard of any concrete reasoning to why a Previews or advertisement is a legitimate "first appearance". The "literal" use of the term is also pretty useless since it can be disproven with so many other examples that come prior to the one being cited.

Yes, it might be beating a dead horse, but I suppose that is going to happen while people are still actually paying hard cash for old Previews catalogs.