• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 45-53. The greatest run ever...

75 posts in this topic

It's almost as if Kirby threw everything he had into that run to try and show Marvel just how good he could be. Once Ditko left, we got those last remaining classic issues from Jack, and then he kind of just, I don't want to say coasted, because the rest of his run is still really exceptional, but it wasn't at as high a level as that 36-60.

(tsk) No way!

Re-read (at least) #65, please. :foryou:

To me, #61-67 are even better than #48-50. ;)

BTW, Chris is right about the Spideys. I’m not a Spidey collector but among others I love #31… :cloud9:

Ditko is probably favored because during the Romita run not many remarkable villains surfaced (Shocker comes to mind, but with the exception of Kingpin…?)

I'm already in disbelief on some of the things I've read in this thread.

Hush? Jimmy Olsen & Lex Luthor?

Above (or anywhere NEAR) FF #45-53, let alone #36-60?

Seriously?

Absolutely horrid. Y'all should be banned for even suggesting.

Peace,

Chip

I love the thoughts and discussion. Can't argue with the early spidey or fantastic four. What amazes me is that stan and jack could come up with such wildly creative story lines 5 years into the series when most teams would get lazy or coast.

Thanks for the reading suggestions. Definitely have to re- read FF 34 through 44 and 54 through 67 and some of the later Ditko Spidey work and into the early Romita years. Lots of reading to catch up on :cloud9:

I'm a newbie but i love reading these posts. Not sure if Fantastic Four 45 through 53 has been covered before, but has there ever been a more influential run of comics this late in a series run?

Just finished reading this block again and it's amazing on so many levels. Great writing and art from Lee and Kirby, incredible introductions of game changing characters like the Inhumans, Black Bolt, the Big G, Surfer, and Black Panther. Even the lower key issue 47 intros Maximus and 51 is such a brilliant story. I won't count Wyatt Wingfoot though :)

Take away the speculation with the phase 3 movie hype and this is simply amazing!

Thoughts? Or can you think of a better run? Would love to hear your opinions.

Yes, but start with 36 and end with 60.

+1

The Golden Age of the FF begins with the start the start of the 4-part Inhumans storyline in #44 (the same issue which introduced Kirby inker extraordinaire Joe Sinnott), and continues through the next 20-25 or so issues.

There are classic stories in earlier issues, no doubt (#1-6 are essential by any reckoning), and the Chic Stone-inked stories starting in the mid-30s are very good indeed. But Lee and Kirby peaked from 44 - 65 or so (84-87 also stand out). Hence...their "greatest". :sumo:

I've just recently re-read volume 1 of Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spiderman and Fantastic Four. I'm planning on taking ASM up through volume 6 and FF through volume 7.

I'm amazed how well this stuff still holds up.

I'm a newbie but i love reading these posts. Not sure if Fantastic Four 45 through 53 has been covered before, but has there ever been a more influential run of comics this late in a series run?

Just finished reading this block again and it's amazing on so many levels. Great writing and art from Lee and Kirby, incredible introductions of game changing characters like the Inhumans, Black Bolt, the Big G, Surfer, and Black Panther. Even the lower key issue 47 intros Maximus and 51 is such a brilliant story. I won't count Wyatt Wingfoot though :)

Take away the speculation with the phase 3 movie hype and this is simply amazing!

It's interesting to note that those beginning and ending issues coincide with:

Ditko asking for plot credit on ASM (which he'd get 4 issues later with ASM #26)

and

Ditko leaving Marvel and trying to get Jack to leave as well.

It's almost as if Kirby threw everything he had into that run to try and show Marvel just how good he could be. Once Ditko left, we got those last remaining classic issues from Jack, and then he kind of just, I don't want to say coasted, because the rest of his run is still really exceptional, but it wasn't at as high a level as that 36-60.

Stan saw Kirby as a talented work horse. Goodman didn't even see Kirby.

It's a shame to think of what more we could've seen...

Love this panel from 57 - I can't imagine what it must have been like to wait each month for the next installment

image_zps00921b84.jpg

+1

+2

+3

It's interesting to note that those beginning and ending issues coincide with:

Ditko asking for plot credit on ASM (which he'd get 4 issues later with ASM #26)

and

Ditko leaving Marvel and trying to get Jack to leave as well.

Stan saw Kirby as a talented work horse. Goodman didn't even see Kirby.

It's a shame to think of what more we could've seen...

Love this panel from 57 - I can't imagine what it must have been like to wait each month for the next installment

image_zps00921b84.jpg

It was Fantastic.

A great time to be a 10 year old boy.

Two bucks a month bought the entire Marvel super hero line, plus Sgt. Fury and the bi-monthlies Marvel Tales, MCIC, and Fantasy Masterpieces.

To piggyback off of what someone else previously said, I think Prime Spidey would be from #31-43. You get the "If this be my destiny" storyline, Ditko leaving with Romita entering, and the introductions of Norman as Gobby, Rhino AND Mary Jane!

Something else to factor in would be ASM #121-136. Death of Gwen, Goblin. Intro to the Punisher, Jackal, Tarantula, and Harry as the Goblin!

Kirby's fourth world beginnings were beyond epic too.

+1

+2

+3

+4, begin with the intro of the Frightful Four and end with Dr. Doom flying around the Surfer's board. That's as good as it gets. (thumbs u

+1

+2

+3

+4, begin with the intro of the Frightful Four and end with Dr. Doom flying around the Surfer's board. That's as good as it gets. (thumbs u

I have to take it from 36 - 66 and add that Marvel has profited for years from what Kirby did in those 30 issues!