• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 45-53. The greatest run ever...

75 posts in this topic

I said 66 because I remember reading an article in the 'Jack Kirby Collector' that talked about 66-67 and how Jack was going one way with the story but then Stan took it in a direction Kirby wasn't happy with. It kind of signals the end of the creative outpouring that was happening with Jack. I think it's here that he starts to hold his ideas back. No matter, whether it's 36-66 or 67 (and 67 is still a great issue) it's a brilliant moment in comics. When people talk about the cosmic scope of Marvel Comics, that was Jack!

That’s interesting, I have all the issues of the JKC, do you remember where’s that article? That’s probably my favorite stories run, so I think that while it would be hard to imagine which conclusion Jack had in mind for Warlock (had known this before I’d have asked him) Stan’s final dialogues/ending are great. :)

There were a series of articles named A Failure to Communicate by Mike Gartland, which are all excellent reads. The one concerning 66/67 is A Failure to Communicate:Part 4 which is in the Jack Kirby Collector #24 or the Collected Jack Kirby Collector Vol 6.

35 is a nice starting place as well!

Yes, some great articles!

There were a series of articles named A Failure to Communicate by Mike Gartland, which are all excellent reads. The one concerning 66/67 is A Failure to Communicate:Part 4 which is in the Jack Kirby Collector #24 or the Collected Jack Kirby Collector Vol 6.

35 is a nice starting place as well!

Thanks, I must find a way to clear up my house and dig out all the JKC as well, so I can read some and see what to keep.

I have all the original issues, except the early FF issue (which I think it’s #9 is that possible?) and still looking for it. It already has the color cover, I have to check which issue is.

I kind of like FF 35 as a start...... Johnny visits ESU with the team in tow to start the college selection process and Reed proposes to Sue...... all kind of ground breaking stuff for comics in those days. Nice Parker cameo also..... and I definitely vote to extend to 67 ..... what a monumental storyline.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

35 - 77 (Annuals 5 and 6) :foryou:

My first FF was #94 and I didn't begin my run until #104. However, my first MGC was #31, which reprinted #s 39 and 40. I just remember being in awe of those stories. And it just got better and better. Most of the time I looked forward more to the MGCs than the then-current FFs.

Recently, I bought the Essential FF volumes 1-4. I had never read most of the issues before #39. It seems strange now how much better Kirby's art got with Colletta and then Sinnott inking him rather than Stone.

So, for me, it would be #38 or so up to #77.

Colletta is a great artist, but not exaggeratedly suited to Kirby’s style.

I can’t see what’s wrong with Stone: he interpreted Kirby’s pencils perfectly, with thin/bold brush strokes, and although Sinnott’s softer approach was really the best, Stone remains undoubtedly an awesome inker.

My first FF was #94 and I didn't begin my run until #104. However, my first MGC was #31, which reprinted #s 39 and 40. I just remember being in awe of those stories. And it just got better and better. Most of the time I looked forward more to the MGCs than the then-current FFs.

Recently, I bought the Essential FF volumes 1-4. I had never read most of the issues before #39. It seems strange now how much better Kirby's art got with Colletta and then Sinnott inking him rather than Stone.

...... for me I bought FF 75 as my first with my own money....though I was already familiar with them from a huge pile that my Aunt gave to my cousins and I...... the first I remember seeing were 32 and 47. That "Worlds within Worlds" storyline from 74-77 was pretty neat. I'm with Claudio..... I always loved Stone's littl tenure as inker.... clean and polished. As with sassemble, I, too, eagerly awaited Marvel's Greatest and Marvel Tales for the vintage reprints..... they were always "must-haves"...... GOD BLESS...

...... for me I bought FF 75 as my first with my own money....though I was already familiar with them from a huge pile that my Aunt gave to my cousins and I...... the first I remember seeing were 32 and 47. That "Worlds within Worlds" storyline from 74-77 was pretty neat. I'm with Claudio..... I always loved Stone's littl tenure as inker.... clean and polished. As with sassemble, I, too, eagerly awaited Marvel's Greatest and Marvel Tales for the vintage reprints..... they were always "must-haves"...... GOD BLESS...

Bronze age Marvel Tales :cloud9:

Inhumans, Black Panther, Gallactus and the Silver Surfer. I missed a few key stories but Pound for pound it is the greatest run under 10 issues i can imagine. Amazing stories and art and each key character will have been in a movie by 2017.

I'm a newbie but i love reading these posts. Not sure if Fantastic Four 45 through 53 has been covered before, but has there ever been a more influential run of comics this late in a series run?

Just finished reading this block again and it's amazing on so many levels. Great writing and art from Lee and Kirby, incredible introductions of game changing characters like the Inhumans, Black Bolt, the Big G, Surfer, and Black Panther. Even the lower key issue 47 intros Maximus and 51 is such a brilliant story. I won't count Wyatt Wingfoot though :)

Take away the speculation with the phase 3 movie hype and this is simply amazing!

Thoughts? Or can you think of a better run? Would love to hear your opinions.

Yes, but start with 36 and end with 60.

Exactly what I would've said. (thumbs u

It was this run of FF that was instrumental in hooking me on Silver Age comics when I was a kid. :cloud9:

One final note, the first comic I bought with my own money was FF 45, for the princely sum of a nickel. Used, at a junk shop while the family was on vacation. I read it and read it and read it, and it was about ten YEARS before I managed to get my hands on a FF 46 to see what that Black Bolt fellow from the last page was all about.

Worth the wait, too!

I'm a newbie but i love reading these posts. Not sure if Fantastic Four 45 through 53 has been covered before, but has there ever been a more influential run of comics this late in a series run?

Just finished reading this block again and it's amazing on so many levels. Great writing and art from Lee and Kirby, incredible introductions of game changing characters like the Inhumans, Black Bolt, the Big G, Surfer, and Black Panther. Even the lower key issue 47 intros Maximus and 51 is such a brilliant story. I won't count Wyatt Wingfoot though :)

Take away the speculation with the phase 3 movie hype and this is simply amazing!

Thoughts? Or can you think of a better run? Would love to hear your opinions.

Yes, but start with 36 and end with 60.

I'm with Round Pastry. 45 is a great issue but I'd go earlier. I'd start with 38 and 39 - great story where the team has lost their powers and have to fight Dr Doom with Daredevil's help - and continue to at least 56.