• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second X-men 1 9.8?

16 posts in this topic

I noticed that there's a 2nd X-men 1 certified as a 9.8 in the census. For quite a while there was only 1 in this tier, the Pacific Coast copy that Doug Schmell sold through Heritage about a year ago for ~500k. Anyhow, anyone know about this new copy? My apologies if info has already been posted.

I noticed that there's a 2nd X-men 1 certified as a 9.8 in the census. For quite a while there was only 1 in this tier, the Pacific Coast copy that Doug Schmell sold through Heritage about a year ago for ~500k. Anyhow, anyone know about this new copy? My apologies if info has already been posted.

Pretty sure there has been 2 copies for some time now (as in for years now)...a Curator and Doug's PC copy.

(thumbs u

Pretty sure there has been 2 copies for some time now (as in for years now)...a Curator and Doug's PC copy.

(thumbs u

Correct. The Curator copy was the 1st 9.8 copy in the Census. It took a while for Doug`s PC 9.6 copy to be transformed into a 9.8.

(thumbs u

Correct. The Curator copy was the 1st 9.8 copy in the Census. It took a while for Doug`s PC 9.6 copy to be transformed into a 9.8.

Mulitple pressings and realignment or resubbing at a softer grading period? :popcorn:

(thumbs u

Mulitple pressings and realignment or resubbing at a softer grading period? :popcorn:

More than meets the eye.

(thumbs u

More than meets the eye.

I hate this kind of thing, I really do. Not that I would describe a 9.6 as thus, but it seems metaphorically that you can polish a turd after all.

(thumbs u

I seem to vaguely recall (this was a long time ago now) Doug saying that he had resubbed the book multiple times. Whether anything else happened in addition to resubbing and lobbying CGC, I have no idea.

What strikes me is the fact that someone would want a book like this handled so many times.

Sure the grade bump is nice, im sure it increased its value by a lot. But I wouldnt want a copy like this being handled so much. People are human, even the best of the best can make mistakes. Im sure any damage would be paid for by insurance or whomever, but still.

What strikes me is the fact that someone would want a book like this handled so many times.

Sure the grade bump is nice, im sure it increased its value by a lot. But I wouldnt want a copy like this being handled so much. People are human, even the best of the best can make mistakes. Im sure any damage would be paid for by insurance or whomever, but still.

You're assuming that these folks still see the book inside the slab. They don't. They only see a slab that happens to contain the book, and the number at the top.

You're assuming that these folks still see the book inside the slab. They don't. They only see a slab that happens to contain the book, and the number at the top.

I disagree. I think what they see are great big twinkley dollar signs, which is pretty much what you see when you look into their eyes. Welcome to the Gordon Gecko school of comic book collecting.

I disagree. I think what they see are great big twinkley dollar signs, which is pretty much what you see when you look into their eyes. Welcome to the Gordon Gecko school of comic book collecting.

We're saying the same thing.

We're saying the same thing.

Absolutely. I was being sarcastic.

I hate book manipulation. I hate pressing. If people want to press their books for profit, that is up to them. If they then sell on the book, it should be disclosed. If other people then want to buy said manipulated book, that is their business. Unfortunately it does not end there. Personally I would prefer a genuine 9.0 from the silver age than a multiple re-subbed manipulated 9.8. But then it's the authenticity of the book that matters to me not the $$$. Just my personal take on this aspect of the hobby.

From what I've read about Schmell through the few years I have been here is he would submit a book until the desired grade is achieved.

Schmell would push his granny under a bus to get the grade he wanted, after he'd relieved her of her life savings of course.