• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF#1 pricing on Heritage auctions

17 posts in this topic

Heritage auctions

There are currently two copies of FF#1 at 5.5 on Heritage right now. One has white pages and is at $12,000 and the other has OW/W pages and is at $5,500. There is also a 7.0 with OW/W pages at $12,000.

Does this book with white pages really demand that high of a premium? Or, is the price higher because it's a really nice looking 5.5?

There's also 12 hours left in Internet bidding and a live auction to get through. things can even out.

That said, $15,000 for a 5.5 looks like a mistake to me. Historically there's the one fluke result (~ $19,000) but that's basically double the average.

There's also 12 hours left in Internet bidding and a live auction to get through. things can even out.

That said, $15,000 for a 5.5 looks like a mistake to me. Historically there's the one fluke result (~ $19,000) but that's basically double the average.

That $19000 dollar sale is for this very same book, the one at $12000. Which I think is the curator copy, with a label error. It is a smoking hot 5.5 that presents like a 7.5/8.0.

Grader notes reveal serious defects, most of which, I can't see for the life of me in the scans.

Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

Right Bottom Front Cover Crease

Back Cover Large Crease

Left Bottom Back Cover Multiple Crease Right Center Back Cover Crease

Top Front Cover Crease Breaks Color

That $19000 dollar sale is for this very same book, the one at $12000. Which I think is the curator copy, with a label error. It is a smoking hot 5.5 that presents like a 7.5/8.0.

I should have said $14,000, btw. With BP that book is $14,340.00.

Smoking hot or not, that's a lot of money for that book.

What's the story on it being the curator copy? I'd be sure to adjust that label if it was me (although that would make the price make more sense.)

Well it is the same serial numbers as the curator copies and when plugged into the cgc verification tool comes up as a curator copy.

Maybe someone on here knows why it is significantly lower grade than issues 3 and 5 which are graded as 9.2 and 9.4 respectively.

Here I think it being a very well presenting copy for grade is the primary price determinant. A $19000 price tag is commensurate with someone expecting a grade bump on re submission in the 7.5/8.0 range. which is not outlandish looking at the book.

Grader notes reveal serious defects, most of which, I can't see for the life of me in the scans.

Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

A few but not too bad

Right Bottom Front Cover Crease

small

Back Cover Large Crease

non color breaking creases are very hard to see on clean white in a scan

Left Bottom Back Cover Multiple Crease Right Center Back Cover Crease

ditto

Top Front Cover Crease Breaks Color

you can see the color break in the U of "Four"

It's a very clean looking copy with no chipping and superior page quality, and apparently a pedigree as well. At least in the scan it has stronger eye-appeal than the 6.5 Heritage is selling. Maybe bidders are just buying the book not the grade. Still, unless I'd seen it in person, I would be a little cautious judging eye-appeal of a white cover book from a scan, as lack of color can really hide defects on a monitor that are far more evident in hand.

Hey all --

You can blame me in part for the current price...I bid a lot for this copy because I think the eye appeal is really sharp. I'm betting whoever bought it for $19k hoped for a grade jump upon resubmission, but the crease meant it wasn't happening, so here it is again for sale.

I'm not going to bid again -- I've hit my limit already -- but I think it's the best looking copy on HA right now.

And while I'm a sucker for Curators as well, to be honest I don't think this is the actual Curator #1 despite what the database says. If I remember correctly, a collector bought the Curator FF 2-100 run because the #1 had already sold privately. It could be the 2-100 owner bought another nice #1 (the 5.5) to complete the run?

Yours in speculation,

Dan

Ouch... That HURT.... Not going through Heritage again... One just sold on CL for 17+. Their buyer premiums are not good for buyer or seller.

Hopefully you'll get over the hump tomorrow in the live auction. It'll be interesting to see how these all do.

Hey all --

You can blame me in part for the current price...I bid a lot for this copy because I think the eye appeal is really sharp. I'm betting whoever bought it for $19k hoped for a grade jump upon resubmission, but the crease meant it wasn't happening, so here it is again for sale.

I'm not going to bid again -- I've hit my limit already -- but I think it's the best looking copy on HA right now.

And while I'm a sucker for Curators as well, to be honest I don't think this is the actual Curator #1 despite what the database says. If I remember correctly, a collector bought the Curator FF 2-100 run because the #1 had already sold privately. It could be the 2-100 owner bought another nice #1 (the 5.5) to complete the run?

Yours in speculation,

Dan

It's sure interesting to speculate. It is weird though. This would be the worst grade Curator by a large margin, right? It just doesn't fit with the story on the rest of the collection. It's not like we're talking about a Bethlehem book or some other collection with a bunch of low grade copies. This is supposed to be a Curator. I mean, obviously, this would have been an earlier book, but it still would be crazy that it could be so damaged and the rest of the books in the collection are killer.

Yeah, that's why I think the "real" Curator #1 is out there somewhere as a 9.x with no designation of the pedigree. Once it was bought from the collection, the provenance was lost. I just can't see our Curator-collector averaging a 9.4-9.6 on all his FF's except for a 5.5 #1...makes no sense.

Dan

Ouch... That HURT.... Not going through Heritage again... One just sold on CL for 17+. Their buyer premiums are not good for buyer or seller.

Hopefully you'll get over the hump tomorrow in the live auction. It'll be interesting to see how these all do.

Thank god for the bump....