• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

Tonight, I bid on the Action #10 (Coverless/Incomplete) in the Comic Connect auction and got blown out of the water.

Action #10 (CC Auction)

Thought I had a shot, but there are obviously some serious Action collectors out there willing to thrown down huge chunks of change for a coverless, incomplete, brittle copy.

Lesson learned... bring the big bucks or go home empty handed when it comes to early Actions.

Anybody here win it?

That was a tough book to like, given its many problems. The brittle pages would seem to be a killer for using it to complete another incomplete copy. But I guess for some people an early Action is an early Action, however beat. (shrug)

amazing that the 3.0 brittle copy went for $30,500. fuelman's copy of Action #10 was also a 3.0 and sold on Clink just 3 years ago for $23k, and it wasn't brittle. just crazy.

30k for a brittle Action #10 is the definition of insanity. It's also why I'll never own one.

So after being a little depressed about that Action #10 last night, I went over to one of my local comic shops this morning to peruse back issues and saw this beauty on the wall for a song:

ALL-AMERICAN COMICS #90 (1st Icicle) FR/GD

82jo.jpg

Needless to say, it's now safe in my collection. :grin:

Frustration Update: :pullhair:

Just needed to vent a little bit.

I'm less than a week away from leaving to spend time with extended family over the holidays. I'll be gone for over a month.

As of this moment, I have 3k in books that I have not received.

After 2 (going to be 3 very shortly) calls and one email, Heritage still hasn't sent me my Superman #2. If it arrives while I'm away via FedEx, I won't be able to receive it. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going do if it doesn't come by Friday or what will happen to the book. Argh.

Likewise, my Action #22 hasn't arrived either after repeated emails, PMs and even an Ebay case opened. The seller (who has perfect feedback) has apparently gone MIA. At least I'm protected with this one, but I really really wanted the book.

While my stress levels rise, I hope yours are declining! Happy holidays to everybody!

I'm less than a week away from leaving to spend time with extended family over the holidays. I'll be gone for over a month.

After 2 (going to be 3 very shortly) calls and one email, Heritage still hasn't sent me my Superman #2. If it arrives while I'm away via FedEx, I won't be able to receive it. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going do if it doesn't come by Friday or what will happen to the book. Argh.

Likewise, my Action #22 hasn't arrived either after repeated emails, PMs and even an Ebay case opened. The seller (who has perfect feedback) has apparently gone MIA. At least I'm protected with this one, but I really really wanted the book.

While my stress levels rise, I hope yours are declining! Happy holidays to everybody!

With respect to the Sups 2, I would call them, explain the situation, and if they haven't yet shipped it, ask them to overnight it. If they have already shipped it, you should receive it by Friday.

With respect to the Sups 2, I would call them, explain the situation, and if they haven't yet shipped it, ask them to overnight it. If they have already shipped it, you should receive it by Friday.

For sure. I'm gonna give them another call in a little bit to see if anything's changed. Problem is, they always say the right thing... and then never do it.

Sorry to hear that CB, I learned to calculate times with a wide margin, as with overseas it is even more unpredictable (and I can’t phone Metropolis, or better I won’t… :D ).

Best luck and have a serene Christmas! (thumbs u

Definitely. I'm not really mad about the shipping delay. It's frustrating, but things happen. What I'm mad about is the fact that I've now called them three times to explain the situation (me being gone and unable to receive the book after Friday) and nobody seems to realize the repercussions of that. I'm sure they don't want a 2k book lost in the FedEx phantom zone any more than I do. You'd think they would realize they need to get it in gear.

UPDATE: Well, by some miracle I've finally managed to get through to Heritage. Not thrilled that it took three pleading calls and an email, but that's life. I have tracking info and it's coming FedEx 2 day. So :wishluck: it comes by Friday.

If you are looking for extreme rarity, GA DCs won't satisfy that need for long, with the exception of a handful of very expensive books. They are certainly tougher to locate in high grade, unrestored, etc., and more scarce than SA Marvels and DCs, but you'll soon find that the only thing limiting your search will be your wallet.

If you are looking for extreme rarity, GA DCs won't satisfy that need for long, with the exception of a handful of very expensive books. They are certainly tougher to locate in high grade, unrestored, etc., and more scarce than SA Marvels and DCs, but you'll soon find that the only thing limiting your search will be your wallet.

I'm not necessarily looking for extreme scarcity, but a little more of a challenge than SA/BA Marvel.

I can think of 100+ GA DC books I want that can't be found on Ebay with a search. Whereas I can't think of a single SA/BA book I can say the same of.

UPDATE 2:

While things are looking a lot better on the Heritage end, the Ebay situation grows a bit more dire. I have a bad feeling about this one.

Has anybody ever bought from the seller: fivestarcollectiblesinc ?

They appear to have a website as well:

Five Star Collectibles

They have low, but perfect feedback. Had a funny feeling about them when it took 3 days for Paypal to clear my payment to them. Now I'm really concerned. No response to PMs and emails. It's Ebay, so I know I'll get my money back, but I'll be heartbroken over losing this book (if it ever existed).

I was so pumped about adding an Action #22 to my collection. :cry:

I'm not necessarily looking for extreme scarcity, but a little more of a challenge than SA/BA Marvel.

I can think of 100+ GA DC books I want that can't be found on Ebay with a search. Whereas I can't think of a single SA/BA book I can say the same of.

this is true, I think that "the challenge" part of collecting GA DC is trying to find well presenting copies that don't break your bank. they may not be as rare as say Centaurs, etc. but locating solid copies for a decent price is the trick.

this is true, I think that "the challenge" part of collecting GA DC is trying to find well presenting copies that don't break your bank. they may not be as rare as say Centaurs, etc. but locating solid copies for a decent price is the trick.

Very much agreed. Rarity in and of itself isn't an interest of mine. Sure, Centaurs are rare, but I also have no interest in them. I'm interested in GA DC and they also happen to be more of a challenge.

Very much agreed. Rarity in and of itself isn't an interest of mine. Sure, Centaurs are rare, but I also have no interest in them. I'm interested in GA DC and they also happen to be more of a challenge.

preaching to the choir brother, GA DC is my thing. (thumbs u

+1

+1

+2

I challenge anyone to put together a New Adventure run, regardless of grade. It's been done before, but good luck doing it now.

I challenge anyone to put together a New Adventure run, regardless of grade. It's been done before, but good luck doing it now.

I was really hoping that was the next thread youd start... day after day posting each Adventure issue up to say... 51 - ending w the classic sandman cover. :cloud9: