• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

Bravo - quite an accomplishment in a short time. You mentioned having a low budget for buying, yet those .5s have excellent 'eye appeal' for the grades, so kudos to you for searching out and acquiring those particular copies!

Thanks!! My main criteria when looking are 1) no brittleness and 2) value (I'm really not in a position to overpay). The presentability is nice but has mostly been luck so far. Let's hope it continues. :wishluck:

FWIW, the Action #20 & #23 are both complete but missing back covers. The tradeoff is that the front covers are awesome!

Very nicely done. Great looking copies for the grades.

My latest addition: :cloud9:

ACTION COMICS #15 -- Missing Two Centerfolds

image.jpg

back.jpg

Wasn't really looking for an incomplete copy, but I couldn't resist for the price. Now I'm on the prowl for those two centerfolds!

My latest addition: :cloud9:

ACTION COMICS #15 -- Missing Two Centerfolds

image.jpg

back.jpg

Wasn't really looking for an incomplete copy, but I couldn't resist for the price. Now I'm on the prowl for those two centerfolds!

Check the Buy Sell forum, someone was selling parts to Action 15 last week. :)

He wants a grand for his..... PQ looks real nice.... missing first two wraps and cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

wowser. thanks for the tip, but that's way too rich for my blood.

Howdy Folks!,

Felt like a good time to resurrect this thread. 2015 brought some pretty big life changes and not a lot of time for funny books. But I'm back on the Golden Age DC prowl again and thought I'd bring this one back from the dead.

Lately I've been wanting to put together an early Flash Comics run. These days, Detective is a rich man's game and I'm finding myself increasingly boxed out of and outgunned on Action collecting too.

Given how awesome Jay Garrick is, and the fact that you also get an early Hawkman bonus to boot, I feel like there's still great value and reward in putting together an early Flash run.

I'll keep you guys posted on what I can dig up and always appreciate the support and camaraderie provided by all in this forum!

--CB

Random musing:

I've always loved this cover.

Flash_Comics_8.jpg

As a kid (pre-internet), I used to check out old Overstreets from my local library just to look at the pictures of Golden Age books. This one always stuck out to me. For some reason, I used to think that the Flash was racing to save some wrongly accused guy from the electric chair. I've never read the story, but that's where my imagination went at the time.

--CB

From what issue of Flash Comics did you take your signature pic? The artwork is too spiffy for it to be from an early issue.

???

It's Shelly Moldoff. I've always felt he did spiffy work. ;) Love the covers to #8 and #10.

Interesting! Sheldon Moldoff doesn't have too many fans in comicdom these days. I think he's underrated but most comic enthusiasts compare him unfavourably to D ick Sprang.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat