• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

The first (and so far only) book in my Golden Age DC collection.

DETECTIVE COMICS #40 (1st Joker Cover) (CGC Qualified 2.0)

Great start! :applause:

Their innovation, colors, vibrancy... Golden Age DC comics are the backbone of this genre. And it's taken me a long time to realize I was denying myself that fact. But now, I truly believe that they are capable of reinvigorating my collecting spirit. So in short, that's what I'm going to chase.

I said much the same thing some 12 or so years ago. In that time, I've amassed a po'boy collection of early Actions, Supermans, Detectives and Batmans. They are awesomely cool books that I'm thrilled to own in any condition... and indeed, my screen name was chosen as a wink and a nod to that philosophy. I still get excited when a new one rolls in.

Looking forward to watching your collection grow!

I'm right there with you now! I'm all in. Even willing to sell my AF #15 if something really tasty comes up. Say, a More Fun #73 for example. Probably my ultimate grail book alongside Action #13 (which I'll never sniff).

Stay tuned tomorrow as I've got a neat little piece coming into the collection!

..... only one mistake I see in here.... the part about the Action 13. You WILL own a Action 13...... you just don't have it YET. Some advice Judy gave me.....(the most awesome girl on the planet :cloud9: ) ...... you can be frugal and buy lots of cheap stuff that you kind of want..... or save up for that really nice item. You'll probably end up trying to sell off most of the cheap stuff eventually. Just like the SA ...... get the grails first. ..... and remember, a grail doesn't have to be a key. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'll keep my fingers crossed, jimbo. But I've got a little girl's college fund to be thinking of too, so I don't really envision ever dropping 8-10k on a book.

..... she's going to get a full ride scholarship, bro ..... and that's when you're going to get the 13...... sorry to spoil the surprise. GOD BLESS...

:applause: haha... a man can dream... :cloud9:

...... on another note, 50's DC's are some of the neatest books ever..... I'm talking the '50 to '52 stuff....... some great All Americans, Superman, Batman, and especially All Star. In fact, I'd say All Star might very well be seen in retrospect as a sheer bargain at today's prices. There is absolutely NO logical reason why that title's market has softened so much...... but any collector worth their salt knows that just means it's time to pounce. The tail end of the Flash Comics run is also some of the best the GA has to offer. If you can find one (not easy)..... a Flash 96 is one of my all time favorite comics. GOD BLESS....

...... on another note, 50's DC's are some of the neatest books ever..... I'm talking the '50 to '52 stuff....... some great All Americans, Superman, Batman, and especially All Star. In fact, I'd say All Star might very well be seen in retrospect as a sheer bargain at today's prices. There is absolutely NO logical reason why that title's market has softened so much...... but any collector worth their salt knows that just means it's time to pounce. The tail end of the Flash Comics run is also some of the best the GA has to offer. If you can find one (not easy)..... a Flash 96 is one of my all time favorite comics. GOD BLESS....

Flash 96 is wicked tough. In the four years I've been (diligently) following Flash, I've seen fewest of that issue. The only one I've seen that isn't near PR is the one I own....and it's only a 3.0.

Flash 96 is wicked tough. In the four years I've been (diligently) following Flash, I've seen fewest of that issue. The only one I've seen that isn't near PR is the one I own....and it's only a 3.0.

There is one 9.4 that has sold a few times on Heritage, that's the only high grade one I've seen

There is one 9.4 that has sold a few times on Heritage, that's the only high grade one I've seen

..... what a cover to see in 9.4 :cloud9: ..... best one I ever had was a married cover 5.0..... and, man, do I regret selling it ....... back in my darker days for beer money :sorry: GOD BLESS....

I started that route in 1983. Still missing 26 including AA 61 & Flash 96

(along with most of the big buck keys). Alas, there are also 95 that are

incomplete (mostly coverless but some down to fragments). There are also

a bunch of complete but really low grade issues to replace.

Pick a cutoff date. I suggest Feb 1951 (when All Star 57 came out along with

Detective 168 ). Also, by that time all DC super hero titles

were gone (or switched away from super heroes) except the ones that lasted

for decades afterwards.

Take your time. It may take you 40 - 50 years to get there but you are a

young kid and you will outlive most of the older collectors.

If I had concentrated more on the keys (other than the top 5), today I would

be missing more books but the missing books (other than those 5) would

be going up by $100 per year per book instead of by $1000 (or more) per

year.

Currently restored books are way low and that may not last. I think the

appropriate value for a professionally restored book (light or moderate)

should be around 1/2 of the guide price of the unrestored book in the same

condition. My most recent big expense was a slabbed, restored

All American 19 that I got for slightly less that 18 % of the Overstreet

guide price for the book in that grade for an unrestored copy.

Granted, I want unrestored, un-slabbed books in at least G+ but I take

what I can get and hope to update eventually.

Best of luck on getting what you are looking for (as long as I get the

AA 61 and Flash 96 before you do). :-)

Edited by jerome34

I started that route in 1983. Still missing 26 including AA 61 & Flash 96

(along with most of the big buck keys). Alas, there are also 95 that are

incomplete (mostly coverless but some down to fragments). There are also

a bunch of complete but really low grade issues to replace.

Pick a cutoff date. I suggest Feb 1951 (when All Star 57 came out along with

Detective 168 ). Also, by that time all DC super hero titles

were gone (or switched away from super heroes) except the ones that lasted

for decades afterwards.

Take your time. It may take you 40 - 50 years to get there but you are a

young kid and you will outlive most of the older collectors.

If I had concentrated more on the keys (other than the top 5), today I would

be missing more books but the missing books (other than those 5) would

be going up by $100 per year per book instead of by $1000 (or more) per

year.

Currently restored books are way low and that may not last. I think the

appropriate value for a professionally restored book (light or moderate)

should be around 1/2 of the guide price of the unrestored book in the same

condition. My most recent big expense was a slabbed, restored

All American 19 that I got for slightly less that 18 % of the Overstreet

guide price for the book in that grade for an unrestored copy.

Granted, I want unrestored, un-slabbed books in at least G+ but I take

what I can get and hope to update eventually.

Best of luck on getting what you are looking for (as long as I get the

AA 61 and Flash 96 before you do). :-)

:applause:

Just picked up piece number three for the collection from Heritage today. More than I wanted to spend, and I'm worried I overpaid, but happy none-the-less. It's not like the book's getting cheaper by the day.

SUPERMAN #2 (CGC 1.0)

w33r.jpg

y3uf.jpg

Just picked up piece number three for the collection from Heritage today. More than I wanted to spend, and I'm worried I overpaid, but happy none-the-less. It's not like the book's getting cheaper by the day.

SUPERMAN #2 (CGC 1.0)

That's awesome! Great colors on that puppy. I'm a huge fan of these early Supes... you sure can't go wrong with this issue. :applause:

h3aw.jpg

Great start. For me this is the ideal low grade book, no chunks, defacing or major creases, and at this grade level staples replaced and a little interior tape reinforcement are of little or no consequence except to eliminate competition from label color obsessed collectors, hopefully keeping the price down.

SUPERMAN #2 (CGC 1.0)

w33r.jpg

y3uf.jpg

Very excited for you on this one :applause:

Great start! :applause:

Their innovation, colors, vibrancy... Golden Age DC comics are the backbone of this genre. And it's taken me a long time to realize I was denying myself that fact. But now, I truly believe that they are capable of reinvigorating my collecting spirit. So in short, that's what I'm going to chase.

I said much the same thing some 12 or so years ago. In that time, I've amassed a po'boy collection of early Actions, Supermans, Detectives and Batmans. They are awesomely cool books that I'm thrilled to own in any condition... and indeed, my screen name was chosen as a wink and a nod to that philosophy. I still get excited when a new one rolls in.

Looking forward to watching your collection grow!

I'm right there with you now! I'm all in. Even willing to sell my AF #15 if something really tasty comes up. Say, a More Fun #73 for example. Probably my ultimate grail book alongside Action #13 (which I'll never sniff).

Stay tuned tomorrow as I've got a neat little piece coming into the collection!

..... only one mistake I see in here.... the part about the Action 13. You WILL own a Action 13...... you just don't have it YET. Some advice Judy gave me.....(the most awesome girl on the planet :cloud9: ) ...... you can be frugal and buy lots of cheap stuff that you kind of want..... or save up for that really nice item. You'll probably end up trying to sell off most of the cheap stuff eventually. Just like the SA ...... get the grails first. ..... and remember, a grail doesn't have to be a key. GOD BLESS...

I'll keep my fingers crossed, jimbo. But I've got a little girl's college fund to be thinking of too, so I don't really envision ever dropping 8-10k on a book.

College fund, shmollege fund. If I ever have kids, they'll be working their way through college unless they get scholarships. They'll also be paying rent if they stay at home one day past turning 18. :devil:

SUPERMAN #2 (CGC 1.0)

w33r.jpg

y3uf.jpg

I was actually watching Superman II during the auction and the final hammer hit right as Superman threw the emblem from his chest. I considered that a win.

I know Larry and Todd will be thrilled for you as well.

if I won a duplicate at HA that is on your want list, I'll let you know :)

I may just have

Always, Bill. And my list is, of course, much bigger than the little one in my sig. But please do think of me for your undercopies when you upgrade.

I would suggest: early World's Finest, Adventure with Fless Sandman covers, early Newsboy Legion Star Spangled, more Tecs, and some Actions. I'd shy away from keys at first, till you've laid your foundation.

I would love to add a Star Spangled #7! I've always thought Guardian was one of the more underrated characters of the GA, and I've always been intrigued by the Newsboy Legion & Suicide Slums as a reflection of Kirby's own adolescence.

They were, and he always confirmed that in the interviews. :)

Love this thread – my entry point to the GA has been because I started a research/collection on italian comics of the same period that are very meaningful and important, and then I happened to stumble in an early Daredevil Comics issue on eBay. I was always intrigued by Biro’s Daredevil, but knowing the cost of GA books never thought seriously to go after anything, until I saw how many in recent years popped up on eBay, even at nice prices.

The only problem, after two years since I started picking GA books, is that this rekindled the interest in my research on the Marvel age, and you can’t spend simultaneously on both, as I am learning at my expenses… :(

For the very same reasons, I haven’t picked anything Timely yet…

SUPERMAN #2 (CGC 1.0)

w33r.jpg

y3uf.jpg

I was actually watching Superman II during the auction and the final hammer hit right as Superman threw the emblem from his chest. I considered that a win.

There is a hidden hand that guides the righteous collector! :preach:

SUPERMAN #2 (CGC 1.0)

w33r.jpg

y3uf.jpg

Great book! I have a low grade copy too, congrats! :applause: