• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about pressing.

27 posts in this topic

I am thinking of sending some books into CGC for grading. Right now to my eye they range from 9.4 to 9.6 as the majority but some might, might be a 9.8 as it stands now.

What exactly does pressing get rid of? I am going to assume that if you submit a book that is a 9.4 to be pressed it doesn't automatically bump a grade to 9.6 or 9.8.

Other than a rolled/wraped spine what are the defects that pressing takes out?

I have never had a book pressed before so I am kind of in the dark here.

Thanks in advance (and sorry if this is OLD information being dredge up again).

nail indentations that don't break color, spine roll, imperfections that typically go unnoticed or are unseen except under CGCs direct visual assessment/examination. In my experience, pressing gives old/charred books almost a revival in color as the process sort of revitalizes the ink through whichever professional service does it. I highly recommend JoeyPost on the boards, he's done an exceptional job for me in the past.

At CGC, I don't know if they use microscopes, or what, but the grading can be somewhat tight sometimes given any of the aforementioned pressable defects. You should read about it ccspaper.com

Pressing won't help books with:

Rusty staples

Tears

Color breaking creases

Fading

Color touch

Foxing

Dust shadows

Water Stains

Miscut books

A pressing does no guarantee an upgrade.

A pressing, if done properly will enhance technical grade and visual appeal.

A pressing is not the second coming of Christ. It really comes to having a good eye and playing the numbers game.

Pressing is kind of like the signature series scam. It enables people who don't really have the goods, make the goods, and then sell them for a much higher price. :grin:

I hate to be a purist (but I am). :sumo: I am annoyed that "collectors" do this, in part because I don't personally believe either activity increases the true value of the book. Nor do I believe that either activity makes the book more desirable. :shy:

Hey friend it is not the pressing that is important but the advice. You will never get a straight answer from CGC on why they gave the grade they gave, but an honest grader will tell you if your book is worth submitting. I quit the SS CGC grading, because I would send in a high dollar comic already graded 9.8 and after it is signed returned as a 9.6 now the value of my book has fallen 60%. Using SS CGC is the graveyard for high value comics... Once you have a grade in SS CGC and the book is signed you are stuck with it forever. You will destroy your collection by letting CGC grade your signature book. If you have a high end book and you already have a 9.8 leave it in universal and do not send it in for SS grading because there is a good chance it will come back 9.6 and a ton of value is lost. If you send in a Universal and the grades come back poor you can pop it out the case and resubmit it.

I hate to be a purist (but I am). :sumo: I am annoyed that "collectors" do this, in part because I don't personally believe either activity increases the true value of the book. Nor do I believe that either activity makes the book more desirable. :shy:

So what's your take on spine rolls? Do you find them a devaluation?

Press to sell, not to keep?

I wouldn't advocate that - it's up to the individual collector. I had a Pussycat #1 that had two long NCB bends that I was thinking of having Joey press out for me. I intended to keep the book. But as with all of my collection, if the right price is offered, every book is for sale. I procrastinated . . . and it turns out I received an offer I couldn't refuse. So now, it's back to the hunt for another! :grin:

So what's your take on spine rolls? Do you find them a devaluation?

Spine rolls are a defect - I don't buy them. That's my take. Properly stored books generally don't have them, and improperly stored books generally have a lot more to worry about than a spine roll :insane:

I think the thing to consider these days, particularly with the increase in the number of opportunists (as opposed to pure collectors) is that (when selling) you should attempt to get full value for your books, and leave less on the table for the opportunists. :grin:

Pressing also does not prevent against venereal diseases nor against pregnancy.

What about Arterial Monochromia?

Only if done by professionals. Amateur pressing may be hazardous with this condition. I had an ASM 33 with arterial monochromia that I pressed myself and it shrunk to the size and thickness of a walnut. Never again.

Only if done by professionals. Amateur pressing may be hazardous with this condition. I had an ASM 33 with arterial monochromia that I pressed myself and it shrunk to the size and thickness of a walnut. Never again.

On the other hand, I have had great success with books showing signs of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). I had a Batman 245 that had a lot of problems. It kept trying to slide out of its mylar and was generally annoying to the other books around it. It was always knocking other books off the wall, and telling them their gloss wasn't as bright or they had more stress marks. After pressing, the book was more subdued and seemed to be content to stay in its box.

On the other hand, I have had great success with books showing signs of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). I had a Batman 245 that had a lot of problems. It kept trying to slide out of its mylar and was generally annoying to the other books around it. It was always knocking other books off the wall, and telling them their gloss wasn't as bright or they had more stress marks. After pressing, the book was more subdued and seemed to be content to stay in its box.

:applause: Awesome testimonial. Brought tears to my eyes.

:applause: Awesome testimonial. Brought tears to my eyes.

If the pressing didn't work, I was thinking about having the staples replaced. :eek:

Sorry to hear about your Spidy 33. :(