• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics, TV, and movie news and rumor thread

662 posts in this topic

It'll be interesting to have a look back on this thread in 12 months to see which books actually went into production and made it to the movie/tv screen and if that had a positive effect AFTER it made it to air.

Most of the secondary market money comes from pure speculation. Look at Preacher... Insane money!

This money being pumped into movie/TV hyped books is an interesting phenomenon. We had Hellboy, Virus, Mask, Road to Perdition, From Hell, Surrogates, Watchmen, 300, etc. all come and go with only a little boost to sales. I don't remember any of those books selling for the type of money we see for movie announcements now. I think we will see a lot more Sixth Gun situations before people realize this movie speculation game is a money loosing proposition for all except the early sellers. DC and Marvel characters as well as certain long running titles like The Walking Dead will be able to retain the sales boosts, but as time goes on, those issues that get the boost will languish as the other issues around them catch up in price and demand.

Honestly, can anyone really foresee *all* these books retaining their lofty values 5 years from now? 10 years from now? Even if all of them get TV or movies made, I think this trend is going to wane or at the very least, burn a lot of people.

Is there a huge demand for Virus or Surrogate comics? Why do we think a TV or movie of The Wake (as an example) will have a different result?

If the Walking Dead hadn't come along, I doubt we would be seeing this with so many properties whose longevity will be measured in a few years and have no hope of lasting for decades.

I think movies very rarely have a huge impact on books long term.

A long running, well made T.V. series will definitely have a positive impact eg. Walking Dead but a badly made movie (see R.I.P.D) can have no impact or even a negative impact.

How do we know that Preacher will be good or not if it eventually breaks through? We don't...Will it hold it's current $650 price tag for 5 years or 10 years - I doubt it. But in the meantime some people will make some big money after rummaging through their long boxes and that's all that matters to them.

Can anyone tell me how many TV shows other than TWD have made it to air and had a positive impact on sales? I'd LOVE to see a list on that one.

In movies, the Crow comes to mind and Sin City too. I would guess there would be more but none come to mind.

My question is and I scared to find out, but can prolly guess. Where is all this new money coming from? It isn't from long time collectors I don't think.

It could be people coming back to comics after pulling out after the horrible 90s.

I've been off and on since the 90s. I checked out when Spider-Man did the clone saga thing. Then I started reading again when JMS was on ASM, and picked up a few other titles around then too. Then I stopped for a bit again, because I wasn't living near a comic store. Now I'm back to a higher spending level than ever before.

I agree. Did Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D have any impact on older books ? I know there was talk of 3 or 4 different Agent Coulson books.

It's done nothing as far as I can see

I'm very I not wrested in seeing if any of the shows original characters get 1st appearances. That would be a whole new type of speculative ball game IMO.

First Melinda. Mae, First Skye, First Agent Ward etc.

My question is and I scared to find out, but can prolly guess. Where is all this new money coming from? It isn't from long time collectors I don't think.

My guess would be the influx of new readers/collectors that started with the digital revolution of comics.

My guess would be the influx of new readers/collectors that started with the digital revolution of comics.

Mentioned before that it is mostly the return of the 80's / 90's readers that now in their 30's have jobs and money. The one single most important component which sparked the return would have to be TWD in comic format, even before the show it was sparking interest and dragging people back into the hobby. After the show it appears to have inspired a level of confidence in the modern market that has since been knocked around a bit.

This year I have seen a lot of people getting into comic books who are not necessarily readers or fans but people wanting to get a foothold with a few keys and start building more of a portfolio than a collection. Regarding moderns these people spend their money speculating all over the place, sometimes based on any wild comment on any message board going... this being especially relevant to the recent influx of TV options and pitches flying around. Unfortunately for them a lot of them don't always have their finger on the pulse and end up being late to the party and paying over the odds for stuff i.e. paying off other speculators who then have money to burn elsewhere.

Back to the topic at hand though, TV / Movie news and rumors. Looking at the long list that has built up there are only actually 4 - 5 of them that I think are of any significance and out of that only 2 -3 that are getting close to the point where we will see any movement. I wouldn't be worried about where the money is coming from, I'd be more worried if you find yourself chasing every book on the list. There is a lot of cr ap in there or simply comics that don't have a large fan base to start with to make them relevant.

You could spend $100 buying up stuff that is optioned and end up holding 20 - 30 books which amount to nothing. Personally much happier picking the current best of the bunch and spending that $100 on 4 copies of Preacher #1 (well it's kinda hard to do that now a couple of weeks down the line).

The Crow ? This is one I feel doesn't need to be redone. I loved the Crow and have seen it multiple times. It has a feel unlike any other movie I've seen to date. Brandon Lee nailed it.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/11/25/crow-reboot-targeting-norman-reedus/

If it is I won't be watching it. There is quite a long list of remakes that I have happily never watched, mostly not all comic book related, and when I look at them I don't think that Hollywood is targeting the original audience. It's easy to forget that they may no longer be concerned with our generation.

Currently this tops the list of remakes I will never watch... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316732/ *euurgh*

The Crow ? This is one I feel doesn't need to be redone. I loved the Crow and have seen it multiple times. It has a feel unlike any other movie I've seen to date. Brandon Lee nailed it.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/11/25/crow-reboot-targeting-norman-reedus/

If it is I won't be watching it. There is quite a long list of remakes that I have happily never watched, mostly not all comic book related, and when I look at them I don't think that Hollywood is targeting the original audience. It's easy to forget that they may no longer be concerned with our generation.

Currently this tops the list of remakes I will never watch... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316732/ *euurgh*

:roflmao:

A Sin City TV show ?

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/27313.html

Harvey, Frank, and Robert have more than a little clout and I would love it. These were some of my favorite books ever produced be it comics or otherwise. The first movie wasn't too shabby and I'm looking forward to the second.