• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin -- October 2-4, 2014

127 posts in this topic

We're in the middle of the larger 2013 show, and ten and a half months away from next year's show! Glad it will be earlier in '14.

I'll post the home page and other info when it's up.

EDIT: I chatted with the Hotflips guys a bit ago and they told me that the dates had changed. The title reflects the new dates, a Thursday to Saturday setup with no Sunday. A little unconventional...

New EDIT: WW Austin Home Page

A staff member told me its going to be a 2 day show because thats what the convention center gave them. Ill ask him again today.

That was what Wizard originally announced as well, but the Hotflips guys said they recently changed it.

Heard some GOOD stuff from staff members about 2014. Talked with my friend who works at the photo ops, they sold 3400 on Friday and Saturday, the Convention Center was making tons of money and they told Wizard that they could come back whenever they want...heard an extra thing from a staff too but can't say anything, if it happens then Austin is going to have a great Wizard time next year.

A staff member told me its going to be a 2 day show because thats what the convention center gave them.

the Convention Center was making tons of money and they told Wizard that they could come back whenever they want...

That's quite a change in one day, their Saturday must have been pretty spectacular.

There is usually some kind of major event every weekend in Oct in Austin so if you are thinking of coming in from out of town be prepared to stay further out or pay higher hotel prices and if you are in town, consider taking the train in. It drops literally right in front of the convention center and is a $2 round trip.

Assuming the weather next year isn't a repeat of this year, it should be a good time for a show weather wise. pulling it up to october will help too. October and May are the best months weather wise in central texas.

I already booked a hotel room just in case, because it sounds like a tough time to find a place to stay in downtown. My usual place is already unavailable that weekend, which is scary. I really enjoy this show every year, despite its hiccups, so at least now I don't have to worry about finding a room.

so Reno next year is now the last show of the year I believe at Nov 21-23. It will be interesting to see what happens with dealers then. Greg Reece mentioned to me that the main reason he was there was bec. it was the last show of the year.

Not sure how that factors in for other out of town dealers, but if it wasn't a great show this year then they may skip Austin for the new hotness in Reno. :)

so Reno next year is now the last show of the year I believe at Nov 21-23. It will be interesting to see what happens with dealers then. Greg Reece mentioned to me that the main reason he was there was bec. it was the last show of the year.

Not sure how that factors in for other out of town dealers, but if it wasn't a great show this year then they may skip Austin for the new hotness in Reno. :)

Well, as we saw this year, sometimes travelling to the last show of the year at the end of November can be treacherous. I'm much happier with Austin being in October than I ever was with the November dates, so Reno can have the last show of the year.

Are the dates usually set in stone? Seeing a pretty good deal at the Radisson downtown but non refundable and cannot change. This last year was my first year to go and drove down from Dallas just on Saturday and planning on going back next year for multiple days. Thanks for the info!

Are the dates usually set in stone? Seeing a pretty good deal at the Radisson downtown but non refundable and cannot change. This last year was my first year to go and drove down from Dallas just on Saturday and planning on going back next year for multiple days. Thanks for the info!

They should be solid now. They changed them from the dates they original publicized, but I would guess that since they changed the website and printed next year's dates in the 2013 program that they are as solid as possible now. If my preferred hotel would have been available I would have booked a non-refundable room to get the deal too.