• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Got Some Great News from CGC...

114 posts in this topic

Anyway, as it's turned out, the bags indeed look bad, but NOTHING has happened to the books inside those ugly bags.

Has anyone ever actually witnessed damage due to a PE or PP bag?

--Gary

I've gotta say I haven't, at least not in comparison to damage I've seen from heat, humidity, UV, or acidic boards. I sliced open some 30 year-old Robert Bell bags the other day (they were all yellowed and the tape was fused to the bag), and was surprised at how white to off-white the pages were, and not very musty smelling.

I'm sure the books could have faired better with more expensive storage, but heck I was in my teens when I put some of these away.

Lou:

I called Ed Jaster from Heritage and he came to my home where we decided which books I would consign. He then took them back to Dallas and then sent them to CGC.

Regarding doubling up in bags, this collection was 2-to-a-bag, but they were both "cover out". This kept the spines flat.

Back in the 80's and early 90's, I was the largest manufacturer of poly bags in the hobby. My friend, Bill Cole, used to call me and chew me out for not using polyester film (Mylar). I told him I couldn't afford to put ALL my books in Mylar, that's why I used polyethylene (PE). He kept warning me that all my books would disintegrate... 893whatthe.gif

Anyway, as it's turned out, the bags indeed look bad, but NOTHING has happened to the books inside those ugly bags.

Has anyone ever actually witnessed damage due to a PE or PP bag?

--Gary

Gary:

Thanks again for your information.

Probably a smart move for you to have Heritage submit the books since CGC might subconsciously be easier on their major customers. In theory, this is not supposed to happen, but sometimes it's just better to play it safe. Especially if you are planning to sell it through Heritage anyways. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As for the comic storage, sounds similar to my method. My bag of five has the first two books "cover out" facing the front of the bag and the next three books "cover out" facing the back of the bag. You are right, it keeps the books and the spines nice and flat. thumbsup2.gif

Lou

I sent 4 Spidey's in for grading. I had high hopes - they were beautiful copies - but you know how one's hopes can be dashed so easily in this wonderful/frustrating hobby.

AS # 121 9.6

AS # 122 9.8

AS # 129 9.8

AS # 135 9.9

I was blown away by the 9.9...

In the immortal words of Bill Gaines, "HOOOO-HAAAAAH!"

--Moondog

5 stars! * * * * *

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I called Ed Jaster from Heritage and he came to my home where we decided which books I would consign. He then took them back to Dallas and then sent them to CGC.

Uh-oh! Here we go! 893whatthe.gif

Congrats, Gary, on the fantastic grades! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Jayman:

I was always a PE guy myself for the same reason. PE has a "memory". You can crumple it and it'll go back to its original form. PP gets creased very easily and I hate those ripples! When I was a retailer, I always used PP for my stock, but recommended PE to my customers.

Using Mylar for everything is just too expensive...

--Gary

I sent 4 Spidey's in for grading. I had high hopes - they were beautiful copies - but you know how one's hopes can be dashed so easily in this wonderful/frustrating hobby.

AS # 121 9.6

AS # 122 9.8

AS # 129 9.8

AS # 135 9.9

I was blown away by the 9.9...

In the immortal words of Bill Gaines, "HOOOO-HAAAAAH!"

--Moondog

Gary;

Just another question regarding the storage conditions. Did you happen to find out what the page quality for your four books were? This is really the only thing I am worry about when it comes to storing books in a poly bag for a long period of time. If the poly bag turns "yellow' after several years, wouldn't this start to affect the interior page quality of the books in the end? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks again;

Lou

Lou:

Don't know the page quality for certain yet, but others in the same time frame have had white pages. This collection was exceptional for page quality. The # 1 (8.5) that sold for $14,900 in August in the Heritage Chicago sale even had white pages.

The 119, 120 and 136 in the same sale all had white pages.

As for PE bags causing yellowing pages, I've never come across that phenomenon. The only thing I can attest to is that it seems that no matter how yellow the PE bag gets, the comic(s) inside aren't affected.

--Gary

Makes you wonder how many books of this caliber are still out there, hidden away under similar circumstances. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In terms of post-1965 books, tons!

JC... is that YOU????

Them`s fightin` words! sumo.gif

I just received the scans from Heritage and would like to post them but it won't let me. I believe the files are too large (they're probably hi-res).

Is there anything I can do? Can I send them to someone and they post them?

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Help!

--Gary

Here's the Spidey 121 one.

I don't know why I haven't received the other scans. My ISP sometimes sends me EMAILs quite late! frustrated.gif

Warning, to people with dial-up, forget it, it's over 3 megs in size!

Spidey 121 - CGC 9.6 - White Pages!!!!!

Addendum: Heritage has listed the books in the preview for their February auction. However, the pics haven't been posted. I'm sure it will be done soon! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif