• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Got Some Great News from CGC...

114 posts in this topic

tth2:

I knew they were nice, but you never know. I was expecting at least 9.6 on all of them.

It was a great collection and he had great taste. Flash, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Mystery in Space, FF, and X-Men were his favorites, but nothing graded as high as the Spidey's.

--Gary

Gary, thanks for this. I totally agree with you on expectations, I never expect anything more than a 9.6 when I submit. The differences are so subtle, you just can't predict with any certainty.

What Flash's and Mystery in Space's were there, and are you selling them?

It's an interesting story on how I acquired them. A woman collected with her brother and father when she was a teen-ager. Her father passed away in 1986 and Spidey was his favorite title. When he died her mother sealed up all his comics, paperbacks, hardcovers, etc. and stored them away. This past March I was the first person to touch them in nearly 20 years.

Makes you wonder how many books of this caliber are still out there, hidden away under similar circumstances. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Makes you wonder how many books of this caliber are still out there, hidden away under similar circumstances. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If we are talking BA it is hard to imagine. People are predicting a combined 20K+ on these books when they go up for sale. I wonder what the same books in the same grades will be fetching 10 years down the line... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If we are talking BA it is hard to imagine. People are predicting a combined 20K+ on these books when they go up for sale. I wonder what the same books in the same grades will be fetching 10 years down the line... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would guess just about the same, after a slowdown off these highs.

hey hey

is that gary coluabono?? sorry if spelling is incorrect

GREAT collectors story and find

id say the 122 would go for $7k

the 129 for $9k

pls post scans when u can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what happened to the super high grade collection u found in the early 90;s that was featured in CBM news section with a pic of u???? did htat get slabbed?

All the Spidey's were bagged two to a bag. So 121 and 122 were in the same bag. They were probably never read and put directly in the bags when they were purchased.

--Gary

Gary;

Just a question here regarding the storage of the books. Exactly what kind of bags were these books stored in? Were they regular poly bags or were they mylar bags?

Thanks; thumbsup2.gif

Lou:

All the comics were in polyethylene bags (just like the 800 million ComiCovers I sold during the 80's and early 90's tongue.gif). I assume he was trying to save money, therefore the two-to-a-bag combo.

I've found many old collections stored in anything from Robert Bell 70's polyethylene, to 60's Syran (spell) Wrap, to freezer bags...and I've never encountered any damage to the book inside due to the bag. The bags can be in terrible shape, but the comics seem to be impervious.

Can anyone else attest to this?

It seems that the bag doesn't matter, but the environment does. Cool, dark, dry and free of rodents and bugs is a must.

--Gary

Dr. Blake:

Yep. That's me.

The collection you're referring to, "The Good Morning America" collection (so named because it and I were featured on GMA), was sold to Danny Greenhalgh in 1995. It's nice to see that someone remembers that collection. We got a lot of publicity because of it.

Heritage already has the books so I can't scan them. Sorry.

--Gary

Lou:

All the comics were in polyethylene bags (just like the 800 million ComiCovers I sold during the 80's and early 90's tongue.gif). I assume he was trying to save money, therefore the two-to-a-bag combo.

I've found many old collections stored in anything from Robert Bell 70's polyethylene, to 60's Syran (spell) Wrap, to freezer bags...and I've never encountered any damage to the book inside due to the bag. The bags can be in terrible shape, but the comics seem to be impervious.

Can anyone else attest to this?

It seems that the bag doesn't matter, but the environment does. Cool, dark, dry and free of rodents and bugs is a must.

--Gary

Gary;

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like good news to me since I have virtually all of my collection in the orginal poly bags. I've always worried that the poly bags had a limited life before they would start doing damage to your books. Never got around to using mylar, mylite and acid-free backing boards on any of my books except for the GA books with an OS value of approx $500 or more.

I've gone back to checked on my poly bagged collection every few years and they still seem to be fine. If you think two to a bag is being cheap, I keep mine's five to a bag. Actually, it's really more for keeping the books flat since I have two facing frontwards and three facing backwards. It also keeps everything simple since two bags would hold a run of 10 such as issues #11-#20, #21-#30, etc.

Just one other question for you. Did you submit the books to CGC for grading yourself or did you consigned them to Heritage first and then they submitted it to CGC for you?

Thanks for the info and congrats on your books;

Lou

Lou:

I called Ed Jaster from Heritage and he came to my home where we decided which books I would consign. He then took them back to Dallas and then sent them to CGC.

Regarding doubling up in bags, this collection was 2-to-a-bag, but they were both "cover out". This kept the spines flat.

Back in the 80's and early 90's, I was the largest manufacturer of poly bags in the hobby. My friend, Bill Cole, used to call me and chew me out for not using polyester film (Mylar). I told him I couldn't afford to put ALL my books in Mylar, that's why I used polyethylene (PE). He kept warning me that all my books would disintegrate... 893whatthe.gif

Anyway, as it's turned out, the bags indeed look bad, but NOTHING has happened to the books inside those ugly bags.

Has anyone ever actually witnessed damage due to a PE or PP bag?

--Gary

Has anyone ever actually witnessed damage due to a PE or PP bag?

This is interesting as I found through years of storing comics that I prefer polyethylene bags over polypropylene. I noticed that in about five years or more the polypropylene bags tend to get "gummy" or "ripple" while the polyethylene bags just tend to yellow with no tackiness or distortion. The comics within seem uneffected with only the backing boards showing signs of discolor. I would say 80% of my collection is in polyethylene while the more expensive is stored in mylar.