• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hardest to find Caps

45 posts in this topic

While I doubt any Captain America is that hard to find, except for maybe the annual, traditionally the later issues of the original run have been considered scarcer. Still, they seem to come up for sale fairly frequently. From just casual observation, it seems like the least available numbers tend to be in the 21-40 range. I'm guessing in no small part due to the awesome Schomburg war covers, but even the Syd Shores cover issues seem to be less common than issues in the teens. What do you Cap collectors out there consider to be the tougher issues? Either higher grade (8.0 and up) or just in general.

Books not leaving collections is as big a factor in how hard it is to find a certain book than absolute scarcity for sure. #46, #74, Red Skull covers and the classic Schomburg war covers like 26-28, 32 and 38 are held onto for longer than the Kirby issues it would seem. The post war Schomburg covers seem to be the most available and cheapest issues to find.

The Kirby issues were saved by both Cap enthusiasts and Kirby collectors. Also.... issues further into war time and also ones closer to the Wertham era fell prey to Paper Drives and Parental Bonfires..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The Kirby issues were saved by both Cap enthusiasts and Kirby collectors. Also.... issues further into war time and also ones closer to the Wertham era fell prey to Paper Drives and Parental Bonfires..... GOD BLESS...

I imagine falling sales had more to do with the later issues being less common than Wertham era bonfires. I would also be curious if the the title, though still obviously popular through the war, had slipping sales after it was clear S&K were no longer drawing it, but I don't know if that data exists. Simon and Kirby were the first real star creators of the Golden Age and I have to imagine that some kids who were marshaling their scarce dimes would have dropped Cap to start buying Adventure or Star Spangled.

....... absolutely about falling sales......but don't underestimate the effects of the bonfires and trash mounds.... I've seen photos of some of these and almost everything except the Dells were villified...... from Crime and Horror for their violence to the Superheros due to homophobia. GOD BLESS....

P.S. My Mom was throwing mine out up until the late 60's..... as was the case with my friends also :flamed: