• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Mentors

47 posts in this topic

Like a lot of others, I learned from the folks on the boards. adamstrange has always had a strong influence on me for the quality and breath of his collection. I have learned a lot from John Verzyl, too. Most of all, though, I just jumped in feet first and started collecting things I liked. Learning from your own mistakes is often the best teacher.

Yep, before the boards came along there was CBM for information regarding scarcity, covers, shifts in the medium and fandom in general. The classic pre-code issue that showcased Weird Mysteries 4 and many other non-E.C. horror books.

:blush: Aw shucks Andy.

I'd have to locate the box with all my CBM back issues (I have them all) to check the author of said article and that may take some time....

So did you write that article, Jon? ;)

Yeah. I only wish all those books had been mine...(mine were lower grade at the time.) They belonged to the co-author Erich. Alas, he sold his collection a few years back. (Killer books like BC 50 NM+, OutShad 8 VF/NM, etc etc.)

I'd been interested in GA books since even before I traded my X-Men 94-130 for some Weird Science issues and a Superman 26 when I was about 22. Just naturally fell into Golden Age I guess. But, after seeing a certain Mr. Berk's collection about 15 or 16 years ago I was really hooked. Bought my first 2 Centaurs from him that day; AMF V2#5 and Funny Pages V4#1.

I'd have to say that Gerber's Photo-Journal really changed my life with respect to collecting, as much or more than any person per se. There was no internet! I remember Erich spending hundreds of dollars a month just in phone bills, trying to hunt down Weird Mysteries, Mr. Mysterys, Horrific, This Mag, etc.

Yep, before the boards came along there was CBM for information regarding scarcity, covers, shifts in the medium and fandom in general. The classic pre-code issue that showcased Weird Mysteries 4 and many other non-E.C. horror books.

I'd have to locate the box with all my CBM back issues (I have them all) to check the author of said article and that may take some time....

Yeah. I only wish all those books had been mine...(mine were lower grade at the time.) They belonged to the co-author Erich. Alas, he sold his collection a few years back. (Killer books like BC 50 NM+, OutShad 8 VF/NM, etc etc.)

I'd been interested in GA books since even before I traded my X-Men 94-130 for some Weird Science issues and a Superman 26 when I was about 22. Just naturally fell into Golden Age I guess. But, after seeing a certain Mr. Berk's collection about 15 or 16 years ago I was really hooked. Bought my first 2 Centaurs from him that day; AMF V2#5 and Funny Pages V4#1.

I'd have to say that Gerber's Photo-Journal really changed my life with respect to collecting, as much or more than any person per se. There was no internet! I remember Erich spending hundreds of dollars a month just in phone bills, trying to hunt down Weird Mysteries, Mr. Mysterys, Horrific, This Mag, etc.

So you're responsible for my pre-code addiction, eh?

You're the man. :headbang:

As a relative newcomer to the GA scene, the Virginia ComicCon was an amazing experience. Most notably I met Tyler (tsp99) through VA collectors/dealers Guy Rose and Donald Jones.

Finding out that I had a passion for GA, Tyler talked with me for two hours or so about the hobby's nuances like Roly Poly 14. I learned a crazy amount and, through him, met other great boardies like Jimbo. Tyler - thank you for being such a great ambassador.

That brings me to the question. In your own GA collecting history, who has helped you learn the ropes?

[font:Times New Roman]Not so much who, as what. I skipped the ropes and went straight for definitive books on the subject of GA comics and then started connecting with like-minded fans at conventions. There are many books on the topic of varying value to collectors, so my recommendation would be to mull over Amazon reviews and the opinions of other boardies before building a library.

That said, books that are definitely worth reading include Steranko's History of the Comics Vol. I & II, Richard Lupoff's & Don Thompson's All in Color for a Dime, and so on. Alas, acquiring the Steranko books is a bit pricey these days, but the articles focusing on various publishers and heroes of the era are fabulous. Hopefully this two part half-completed history will be reprinted someday, perhaps as a single volume hardcover edition in a slightly less unwieldy format. If these classics don't fuel your passion for GA, nothing will...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Steranko-History-Comics-Volume/dp/B000GW5WFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385328796&sr=8-2&keywords=steranko%27s+history+of+the+comics

http://www.amazon.com/The-Steranko-History-Comics-Volume/dp/B001208R4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385328926&sr=8-1&keywords=steranko%27s+history+of+the+comics

http://www.amazon.com/All-Color-Dime-Richard-Lupoff/dp/0873414985/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385328362&sr=8-1&keywords=all+in+color+for+a+dime

You might also consider subscribing to Alter Ego and/or buying random back issues focusing on interesting GA characters and their artists...

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=55

I'm sure that others will contribute more suggestions on learning the ropes in respect to GA collecting. Everyone has slightly different approaches, interests, strategies for collecting, etc. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and most here will gladly oblige. [/font] (thumbs u

Thanks for the great info. I read a couple of the Benton books based on Gator's recommendation, which were excellent. I'll look at the Seranko books next.

So you're responsible for my pre-code addiction, eh?

You're the man. :headbang:

Based on your taste in books, you had it in you since birth, brother.

I learned primarily from reading the Overstreet Price Guides back in the mid 80s, and I fell in love with GA by looking at the glossy cover galleries in those books. The first one I bought was the one with Katy Keene on the cover. Those guides were my main source of information for a long time. When you consider all the notes in the listing section, there's a heck of a lot of info in those books.

The dealer who showed me the first Mile High book I ever saw (which, regrettably, I didn't buy), forever changed my focus. After that, freshness and page quality because major considerations for me.

I learned quite a bit by reading the extensive descriptions in the early Greg Manning and Heritage Catalogs, too; I wish I had saved more of them. In particular, I learned about a lot of the niche books that I might not otherwise have given much thought. I fell in love with Planets by looking at the complete run in the Nick Cage catalog. It's still the only title of more than a handful of issues of which I like almost all of the covers.

A book by Digby Diehl about EC, which included extensive cover galleries (and which I still peruse from time to time), taught me a lot about that publisher and first got me interested in horror.

Of course, I've learned an awful lot from these boards in the past year, too!

I always loved SA/BA marvel but Mr Evans has been a great friend and always lets me pick his brain on alot of topics,plus Ive met some great people since I started working for him these last 3 and half years

my initial g.a. area of interest was timely, and i was fortunate enough to have the tall geek, one of the preeminent timely collectors, as my guru. he gave me the crash course, to be sure.

You obviously snatched the pebble from his hand at some point, brother. Richard is one of my favorite boardies..... it surprises me he posts as often as he does. As far as comics go, he's a rock star....... but I'm glad he chooses to "go slumming" with us..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

In your own GA collecting history, who has helped you learn the ropes?

Great writers about comics:

Mike Benton - The Comic Book in America

Jules Feiffer - The Great Comic Book Heroes

Jim Steranko - History of Comics

Ernst Gerber - The Gerber Photo-Journals

Bob Overstreet - The Overstreet Price Guide To Comic Books

Gary Carter - Many great issues of Comic Book Marketplace

etc.

Great comic book dealers over the years:

James Payette

Donald Puff

Bedrock City Comics

Metropolis Comics

Gary Dolgoff

New England Comics

John Hauser

Ed Jaster

etc.

HOWEVER...

A better education about Golden Age Comic Books cannot be found than these boards. Spend a few hours going back through the topics in this Gold Comics forum. You will be amazed at the rare and fun comic books. You're sure to find comics you yourself will want to collect! Good luck!

I always loved SA/BA marvel but Mr Evans has been a great friend and always lets me pick his brain on alot of topics,plus Ive met some great people since I started working for him these last 3 and half years

.... I guarantee he's equally as happy to have you in his sphere, my friend.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Like a lot of others, I learned from the folks on the boards. adamstrange has always had a strong influence on me for the quality and breath of his collection. I have learned a lot from John Verzyl, too. Most of all, though, I just jumped in feet first and started collecting things I liked. Learning from your own mistakes is often the best teacher.

Adamstrange radically altered my focus and the way I look at books today. My approach to collecting was totally altered by him..... and I've said it once and will do so again.... If I had the chance to see the collection of only one boardie, it would be his..... with no disrespect to the rest of you, of course. Bedrock's would be a close second....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

etc.

A very good list! (thumbs u

I'd definitely add Michelle Nolan to it. Her column in CBM was amazing and her book, Love On The Racks, is an invaluable reference for anyone interested in romance comics.

etc.

A very good list! (thumbs u

I'd definitely add Michelle Nolan to it. Her column in CBM was amazing and her book, Love On The Racks, is an invaluable reference for anyone interested in romance comics.

Indispensable, really. It does have a couple of drawbacks: Because it's comprehensive, it's pretty dry reading. It works better as a reference than a book to be read through cover-to-cover for pleasure. It's also rather light on Matt Baker, who is a particular interest of mine and, I think, many romance collectors. Unfortunately, info on Mr. B is pretty scarce, so I'm sure she did the best she could.

If you have any interest in romance comics, or in the history of comic book publishing in general during the late 1940s/early 1950s, it's a must read.

My start consisted of being there. I started collecting comics in

Sept 1942 (All Star 13) and continued until about 1950. I then sold

my collection and took a short break.

When I returned in 1983, I had no information on what existed, what

was common or scarce, what was expensive or cheap or even what

the Silver Age was. I learned from the local dealers and added to my

knowledge from Overstreet.

As I tell selected people "Comics are like drugs; you get some; then

get more; soon you have to become a dealer to support your addiction."

When I started as a dealer, I had a partner and learned some from him.

Next was the CBG (more for the ads than anything else) but some reports

helped. Then cons (both buy and sell).

More recently, e-bay, the internet and boards.

That is just chronologically and you will note that it is based on what

existed and when it existed. If you are starting now, I would suggest

Overstreet, Gerber, the Boards, and contacts with local collectors

would be appropriate regardless of what you like. Then supplement that

with readings of the various individuals named above. I would also

add Ron Goulart to the reading list.

My start consisted of being there. I started collecting comics in

Sept 1942 (All Star 13) and continued until about 1950. I then sold

my collection and took a short break.

When I returned in 1983, I had no information on what existed, what

was common or scarce, what was expensive or cheap or even what

the Silver Age was. I learned from the local dealers and added to my

knowledge from Overstreet.

As I tell selected people "Comics are like drugs; you get some; then

get more; soon you have to become a dealer to support your addiction."

When I started as a dealer, I had a partner and learned some from him.

Next was the CBG (more for the ads than anything else) but some reports

helped. Then cons (both buy and sell).

More recently, e-bay, the internet and boards.

That is just chronologically and you will note that it is based on what

existed and when it existed. If you are starting now, I would suggest

Overstreet, Gerber, the Boards, and contacts with local collectors

would be appropriate regardless of what you like. Then supplement that

with readings of the various individuals named above. I would also

add Ron Goulart to the reading list.

:o

Wow! That is fantastic. I had no idea you were buying off the stands in the 40s. Marty Mann has some competition for board member collecting the longest now

:applause:

Other than my father there were two comic collectors who were mentors in the truest sense of the word. First, Burrell Rowe, who took the time to show a snotty nosed kid all the wonders of the Golden Age. Second, Willie Patterson, who lead me around to stores and conventions and really opened my eyes to all the possible ways to create a niche in this hobby. It's for those three men that I'm involved.

Adamstrange radically altered my focus and the way I look at books today. My approach to collecting was totally altered by him..... and I've said it once and will do so again.... If I had the chance to see the collection of only one boardie, it would be his..... with no disrespect to the rest of you, of course. Bedrock's would be a close second....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

I gotta gree with ya, there, jimbo(a friend of jesus)... adamstrange has the collection that dreams are made of :D

As per my response to the OP... First there was my dad... he taught me to read by following his finger as he read Tarzan of the Apes to me, over and over and over again (because I didn't want to to hear about anything else lol )... he bought me my first comic book (Batman 234 when I was 2)... After Tarzan, I read the complete John Carter of Mars series, the Pellucidar series, Venus, ERB's Mucker, etc. By the time I finished all that, I was probably 5 or 6 when I started reading Robert E. Howard.

All of this wonderful early-to-mid 20th century fantasy was being reprinted throughout my childhood, in paperback form, so I was able to read it along with those wonderful Frazetta, Krenkel, Neal Admas and Boris covers... roll forward a few years, and I meet D.W. Howard, owner of Super Giant Comics in Asheville, NC. To him I owe most of my appreciation for comic books... "No, I don't have any pulps at the moment... check out this Thun'da #1... it's 100% Frazetta" :o(worship)

A collector was born...

Other than my father there were two comic collectors who were mentors in the truest sense of the word. First, Burrell Rowe, who took the time to show a snotty nosed kid all the wonders of the Golden Age. Second, Willie Patterson, who lead me around to stores and conventions and really opened my eyes to all the possible ways to create a niche in this hobby. It's for those three men that I'm involved.

Interesting - your dad nurtured your interest in the medium - my dad did everything to discourage me from reading and collecting comics, despite being an avid collector of books himself. lol

Interesting - your dad nurtured your interest in the medium - my dad did everything to discourage me from reading and collecting comics, despite being an avid collector of books himself. lol

Yep. I was pretty lucky that my dad took an interest in my collecting.

Wilt Conine introduced me to the golden age and taught me a lot. Some of you here know him - I would spend hours in his garage going through long boxes of GA books in the mid to late 70s. I bought my first GA book from him and still have it - Marvel Mystery #65

He also turned me on to Alan Light's The Buyer's Guide. I was a subscriber to TBG/CBG from then until it's demise. Lots of learning from that as well.