• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Mentors

47 posts in this topic

Wilt Conine introduced me to the golden age and taught me a lot. Some of you here know him - I would spend hours in his garage going through long boxes of GA books in the mid to late 70s. I bought my first GA book from him and still have it - Marvel Mystery #65

He also turned me on to Alan Light's The Buyer's Guide. I was a subscriber to TBG/CBG from then until it's demise. Lots of learning from that as well.

Wilt used to come to all the early HoustonCons. He always had all kinds of cool old books. But apparently he wasn't the most accurate grader. The old timers around here always refer to "Conine Mint" as a grading term.

Wilt Conine introduced me to the golden age and taught me a lot. Some of you here know him - I would spend hours in his garage going through long boxes of GA books in the mid to late 70s. I bought my first GA book from him and still have it - Marvel Mystery #65

He also turned me on to Alan Light's The Buyer's Guide. I was a subscriber to TBG/CBG from then until it's demise. Lots of learning from that as well.

Wilt used to come to all the early HoustonCons. He always had all kinds of cool old books. But apparently he wasn't the most accurate grader. The old timers around here always refer to "Conine Mint" as a grading term.

Yes I later learned that, Richard. Luckily being a poor high school kid at the time, I didn't buy high dollar books. The MMC book I bought was a treat for me and definitely not high grade. I know Cat (David Merryweather) knows Wilt. He had posted some pics of him before. Wilt always had stories to tell. I remember one about his dislike for Jeanette Kahn. He wasn't fond of Buster Crabbe either, comparing him to a real crab. I don't know why those two stories stand out in my memory.

Yes I later learned that, Richard. Luckily being a poor high school kid at the time, I didn't buy high dollar books. The MMC book I bought was a treat for me and definitely not high grade. I know Cat (David Merryweather) knows Wilt. He had posted some pics of him before. Wilt always had stories to tell. I remember one about his dislike for Jeanette Kahn. He wasn't fond of Buster Crabbe either, comparing him to a real crab. I don't know why those two stories stand out in my memory.

Buster Crabbe was a guest at one of the early Houston Cons ('74?). It might have been the first convention I went to. Maybe Wilt had a bad experience with him there.

My approach to collecting was totally altered by him..... and I've said it once and will do so again....
:gossip: That suggestion about the mylars, the egg beater and the gerbils was just a suggestion. You know that, right? Right? :insane:

I collected stamps in a rather serious way as a kid and learned much about collecting from folks in that hobby that were good principles to follow when I later switched to comics. My brother, also a collector though not of comics, really kicked me into giving greater effort and focus by continually asking how my collection was going and providing advice and encouragement. :eek:

It was because of him I made a greater effort to meet and chat with knowledgeable comic book collectors and dealers. An ever expanding set of them, along with comics historians listed in prior posts, have been my tutors ever since.

I look forward to browsing the GA Forum because of the wealth of knowledge and expertise that is offered here. I am amazed each week at how many unexplored areas of GA remain a mystery to me. It's a pleasure reading 143ksk Archie's thoughts, sacentaur's comments on MLJs, MrBedrock on Timely's & Airboy, comick1 on DC war, DavidMerryweather on founding fandom, jbcomicbox on the origin of newstand comics or Centaurs, Timely on the Frisco pedigree, nearmint on Nedors etc.

Many people may not realize the value of their expertise because it seems second nature or very specialized. To cite one example, Scrooge might consider himself a young padawan but he's a fully trained Jedi and I'm indebted to him for his incredible "Month" thread and his occasional thoughts on syndicated strips and comic reprints.

Learn all you can and share what you know. You may find yourself a mentor whether you intended to be one or not.

My roving camera caught Wilt Conine spending quality time with his greatest pick-up at HoustonCon in '74... :blush:

4367a0df-8f05-4099-9c51-929cd0586a33_zpsbb5692fb.jpg

...but splitting a room with Wilt is what inspired me to crash in one of the 24 hour movie rooms watching serials all night. lol

As a relative newcomer to the GA scene, the Virginia ComicCon was an amazing experience. Most notably I met Tyler (tsp99) through VA collectors/dealers Guy Rose and Donald Jones.

Finding out that I had a passion for GA, Tyler talked with me for two hours or so about the hobby's nuances like Roly Poly 14. I learned a crazy amount and, through him, met other great boardies like Jimbo. Tyler - thank you for being such a great ambassador.

That brings me to the question. In your own GA collecting history, who has helped you learn the ropes?

T is not only a credit to hobby but an OSPG/GPA with legs that enjoys everything there is about comics while being blessed with a heart of gold.

I wish I could've been up there with you guys, I'm going to shoot for next year though.

:applause: