• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore on todays Superheros

60 posts in this topic

Just add Alan to the list of sad sacks that are jealous of Marvel's success.

The Marvel Money Train keeps rolling along. :headbang:

Thank you Marvel.

I can't tell if you are beeing facetious or not, i don't think he care's about money considering how he has turned down substantial royalties in the past...

Moore has rerouted every incoming royalty check resulting from movies made from his comics work to other creators. I seriously doubt that his problem is jealousy. He has very specific philosophies on the creative process and thinks that most other creators' work is derivative and uninspired. I love the guy and read just about everything he writes, even the garbage, but I do roll my eyes when he lashes out against the current state of the industry. Frankly, he admits that he reads no new comics and then argues that they are all terrible. His logic should be a little tighter than that. I read a recent biography on him and he maintains a pretty insulated life. No matter how smart someone is, one's experiences will evidently always be limited if one does not engage the world fully. Or something.

I find it funny that he berates other creators for being derivative as he takes existing properties and manipulates (perverts?) them in his own work. :grin:

Frankly, he admits that he reads no new comics and then argues that they are all terrible. His logic should be a little tighter than that. I read a recent biography on him and he maintains a pretty insulated life. No matter how smart someone is, one's experiences will evidently always be limited if one does not engage the world fully. Or something.

This is pretty much right, at least to some degree.

And honestly I think occasionally Rick Veitch has been more original than Moore, although less successful (as related to the "derivative" argumentation).

I read a recent biography on him and he maintains a pretty insulated life.

That is not surprising to me. I haven't followed Alan Moore intently over the past few years, but the things I have read make him sound exactly like that: a insulated crackpot who probably yells at his cats to verbalize things he can't bring himself to deal with in a normal, healthy, rational manner.

Thank you Marvel.

I can't tell if you are beeing facetious or not, i don't think he care's about money considering how he has turned down substantial royalties in the past...

Moore has rerouted every incoming royalty check resulting from movies made from his comics work to other creators. I seriously doubt that his problem is jealousy. He has very specific philosophies on the creative process and thinks that most other creators' work is derivative and uninspired. I love the guy and read just about everything he writes, even the garbage, but I do roll my eyes when he lashes out against the current state of the industry. Frankly, he admits that he reads no new comics and then argues that they are all terrible. His logic should be a little tighter than that. I read a recent biography on him and he maintains a pretty insulated life. No matter how smart someone is, one's experiences will evidently always be limited if one does not engage the world fully. Or something.

I find it funny that he berates other creators for being derivative as he takes existing properties and manipulates (perverts?) them in his own work. :grin:

he takes existing characters and makes new stories with them, isn't that what comic creators attempt on a daily basis? i think what he is saying is the lack of imagination when it comes to using said characters

That is not surprising to me. I haven't followed Alan Moore intently over the past few years, but the things I have read make him sound exactly like that: a insulated crackpot who probably yells at his cats to verbalize things he can't bring himself to deal with in a normal, healthy, rational manner.

What is is it, in your opinion, that makes him a crackpot?

It could be argued that a self-proclaimed anarchist is a crackpot. I guess to truly know, one would have to apply themselves to wanting to know. I don't think most people care to know what truly motivates the man.

DG

Thank you Marvel.

he takes existing characters and makes new stories with them, isn't that what comic creators attempt on a daily basis? i think what he is saying is the lack of imagination when it comes to using said characters

Gotcha. (thumbs u

Then it is funny that he can judge the lack of imagination on the part of creators based on the cover of the comics since he hasn't read any of them since the Watchmen. I can see this though. Most covers these days are just pinups ready for use in ads and other products and don't usually reflect what is going on inside the comic any more.

Thank you Marvel.

Gotcha. (thumbs u

Then it is funny that he can judge the lack of imagination on the part of creators based on the cover of the comics since he hasn't read any of them since the Watchmen. I can see this though. Most covers these days are just pinups ready for use in ads and other products and don't usually reflect what is going on inside the comic any more.

thats the strange part, him being critical whilst maintaining that he hasn't been reading them

It could be argued that a self-proclaimed anarchist is a crackpot. I guess to truly know, one would have to apply themselves to wanting to know. I don't think most people care to know what truly motivates the man.

DG

So - anonymous geeks slating him on the internet is just their way of not caring what motivates him?

DG

So - anonymous geeks slating him on the internet is just their way of not caring what motivates him?

Slating? The act of applying slates? I'm not familiar with people applying slates to the man.

I think that most people criticizing him do not care what motivates him and have not applied themselves to understand. Many would probably still criticize him either way. They want him to be agreeable. He appears to be driven by principles, not money.

DG

DG

Slating? The act of applying slates? I'm not familiar with people applying slates to the man.

I think that most people criticizing him do not care what motivates him and have not applied themselves to understand. Many would probably still criticize him either way. They want him to be agreeable. He appears to be driven by principles, not money.

DG

:whistle:

slate: to criticize severely.

"his work was slated by the critics"

synonyms: criticize harshly, attack, pillory, lambaste, condemn, flay, savage, shoot down, revile, vilify;

synonyms: criticize harshly, attack, pillory, lambaste, condemn, flay, savage, shoot down, revile, vilify;

Merriem-Webster's definition:

slate

transitive verb

slat·edslat·ing

Definition of SLATE

: to thrash or pummel severely

chiefly British : to criticize or censure severely

Origin of SLATE

probably alteration of 1slat

First Known Use: 1825

This little communication problem obviously stems from the part in bold :grin:

DG

DG

lol

You slate me!

DG

DG

See. That's what happens when you only date Playmates of the Year.