• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you leave negative feedback in this situation?

29 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am asking for some advice as to how you woud handle this situation on eBay. Lately, I have been having several issues on eBay (albeit minor ones) that I have never encountered before. Would you leave negative feedback in ths situation?

I won an item off of eBay that I was looking forward to owning. I actually rearranged my schedule so I would be able to bid on the item when it need (I don't use sniping software). It was a bid based auction (not a Buy It Now). As such, I paid within twenty four hours of winning the bid and asked the seller to pack well.

The very next day I get an email back claiming that the seller lost the item. He did regund my money via PayPal. This is not something you lose, especially when you have a picture of the item taken seven days before the auction listing. As such, I emailed the seller back explaining my disappointment and how I won the item fair and square. Ths was a certified collectible and I did record the certification number so I can track it and ensure the seller doesn't try to sell it somewhere else.

Would you leave negative feedback in this situation or let it go? I am not one to carelessly leave negative feedback every time I have an issue, but this really upset me. Part of me thinks the seller was just unhappy with the final price and just does not wish to sell it.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

You have a while to leave feedback so don't jump the gun on them right away. See if they can find it in the interim and you will pay the same price when they find it. Did you get the piece at what would be deemed a steal and that is why they can't find it?

Don't dwell on it, disappointment is not neg worthy. You didn't receive a damaged item or item not described and you got your money back, the best revenge is to take your business elsewhere.

If you want to leave a record of it leave a neutral so the item description is recorded and you can call shenanigans if he relists later.

Hello all,

I am asking for some advice as to how you woud handle this situation on eBay. Lately, I have been having several issues on eBay (albeit minor ones) that I have never encountered before. Would you leave negative feedback in ths situation?

I won an item off of eBay that I was looking forward to owning. I actually rearranged my schedule so I would be able to bid on the item when it need (I don't use sniping software). It was a bid based auction (not a Buy It Now). As such, I paid within twenty four hours of winning the bid and asked the seller to pack well.

The very next day I get an email back claiming that the seller lost the item. He did regund my money via PayPal. This is not something you lose, especially when you have a picture of the item taken seven days before the auction listing. As such, I emailed the seller back explaining my disappointment and how I won the item fair and square. Ths was a certified collectible and I did record the certification number so I can track it and ensure the seller doesn't try to sell it somewhere else.

Would you leave negative feedback in this situation or let it go? I am not one to carelessly leave negative feedback every time I have an issue, but this really upset me. Part of me thinks the seller was just unhappy with the final price and just does not wish to sell it.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

The same thing happened to me with a comic from Koch Comics. I won a Star Wars $0.35 issue in an auction on E-Bay. They claim they lost the comic, but I suspect they didn't like the price I was going to pay for it. (It was under $100.) I was extremely disappointed (these Star Wars $0.35 issues are my holy grails), but ultimately, I decided to not leave negative feedback. I wanted to at the time, but now I feel I did the correct thing.

Would they not want to neg you for non-payment? Not meeting your end of the deal is worthy of negative feedback if you ask me. No one is perfect, so I don't run around giving negative when I'm not 100% happy. However this is a case where at best the seller wasted your time, at worst it was fraud. I would neutral or neg.

The same thing happened to me with a comic from Koch Comics. I won a Star Wars $0.35 issue in an auction on E-Bay. They claim they lost the comic, but I suspect they didn't like the price I was going to pay for it. (It was under $100.) I was extremely disappointed (these Star Wars $0.35 issues are my holy grails), but ultimately, I decided to not leave negative feedback. I wanted to at the time, but now I feel I did the correct thing.

They probably did you a favor. Koch Comics grading is very much on the "loose" side.

They probably did you a favor. Koch Comics grading is very much on the "loose" side.

Trust me, with the comic I was bidding on, I would have been fine with a GD for the price I paid. I just want to put one of these into my collection. I've lost out twice now on one. This and the situation earlier this year where I received the Star Wars $0.35 comic folded in half in the mail. I never bothered opening that one and sent it back. I couldn't bear to look at what the post office did to that one. I created a thread about it at the time.

I'm patient. I figured I have another good 50+ years of life left in me, so someday ...

Knowing how the ebay FB system works, I would leave a neutral and not rate any stars. This, of course, depends on the seller's previous FB history looking good. Anyone can make a mistake, and knowing that a negative and any star ratings left that are less than "5", is basically telling ebay to terminate that seller. A neutral with no star ratings will not get the seller terminated, but it will provide a record of the transaction and a warning to future, would be buyers.

Remember... Sellers check a buyer's "FB left for others". I do it for every sale and "Best Offer". If I see signs of a buyer that is "neg happy", or a history of refunds or complaints, that buyer goes directly to most sellers' block list. So you don't want to leave negative FB and low star ratings unless the transaction really deserves it. You would be hurting yourself in the process, if you care about things like that. Also, ebay is terminating many buyers' accounts that show a history of them having problems. Some get banned, some get suspended, some lose all future buyer protection privileges as they ban those buyers from the program.

Something to think about.

I, myself, remind myself that no other place I buy from, allows a buyer to do these things to a seller. If I don't like what I get, I just get refunded, and that's the end of it. Sure, I could log a complaint with customer service of Walmart, Target, Lowes, Best Buy, Amazon, CGC, etc., but that is for their own review, and if it's a legitimate complaint, they usually offer the disgruntled a gift certificate or percentage off future sales.

If your seller was smart, he'd do something like that to make up for your disappointment.

2c

Knowing how the ebay FB system works, I would leave a neutral and not rate any stars. This, of course, depends on the seller's previous FB history looking good. Anyone can make a mistake, and knowing that a negative and any star ratings left that are less than "5", is basically telling ebay to terminate that seller. A neutral with no star ratings will not get the seller terminated, but it will provide a record of the transaction and a warning to future, would be buyers.

Remember... Sellers check a buyer's "FB left for others". I do it for every sale and "Best Offer". If I see signs of a buyer that is "neg happy", or a history of refunds or complaints, that buyer goes directly to most sellers' block list. So you don't want to leave negative FB and low star ratings unless the transaction really deserves it. You would be hurting yourself in the process, if you care about things like that. Also, ebay is terminating many buyers' accounts that show a history of them having problems. Some get banned, some get suspended, some lose all future buyer protection privileges as they ban those buyers from the program.

Something to think about.

I, myself, remind myself that no other place I buy from, allows a buyer to do these things to a seller. If I don't like what I get, I just get refunded, and that's the end of it. Sure, I could log a complaint with customer service of Walmart, Target, Lowes, Best Buy, Amazon, CGC, etc., but that is for their own review, and if it's a legitimate complaint, they usually offer the disgruntled a gift certificate or percentage off future sales.

If your seller was smart, he'd do something like that to make up for your disappointment.

2c

One thing to consider as well is if you feel this seller will have other books in the future you may want. I left a neutral for comics for a seller a few years back (Star Wars Ewok comics that were not in the NM condition stated) and promptly was blocked by the seller. This seller is constantly listing comics I am interested in. :( I either have to create another E-Bay account to bid on these comics or I don't get to bid on them. The seller is hit or miss on grading, but they do get some comics I'm interested in from time to time and I greatly regret leaving the neutral. I've asked many times to be unblocked, but here I am 3-4 years later, still blocked. :blush:

Also, how does a buyer block a seller? I keep hearing "block the seller" but I have to figure out how to do this on E-Bay. I'd love nothing better than to not see any more Mile High Comic listings on E-Bay.

I would just let it go.

As rjrjr just showed, it's possible the negative will have repercussions several years later.

I'd give the seller the benefit of the doubt. I don't know what the item is, but I would say its certainly possible he did lose it. Or something happened to it (and he's saying he lost it as an excuse).

Keep your eyes and ears peeled if you see it in the future.

One thing to consider as well is if you feel this seller will have other books in the future you may want. I left a neutral for comics for a seller a few years back (Star Wars Ewok comics that were not in the NM condition stated) and promptly was blocked by the seller. This seller is constantly listing comics I am interested in. :( I either have to create another E-Bay account to bid on these comics or I don't get to bid on them. The seller is hit or miss on grading, but they do get some comics I'm interested in from time to time and I greatly regret leaving the neutral. I've asked many times to be unblocked, but here I am 3-4 years later, still blocked. :blush:

Remember, this is "auction interference" and illegal. Once you're blocked, sure you can create a new account, but if a seller asks ebay to check the new account , ebay can determine via IP addresses (and other means) if you circumvented a block. Your IP can be banned forever from ebay, including anyone else in the household that used that IP. You can be sued, prosecuted, etc. if the seller chooses to go that route. If the transaction on your new account goes smoothly (no complaints, neg FB, DSR dings) then the seller would have no reason to suspect block circumvention, and you'll most likely get away with it.

Also, how does a buyer block a seller? I keep hearing "block the seller" but I have to figure out how to do this on E-Bay. I'd love nothing better than to not see any more Mile High Comic listings on E-Bay.

No way that I know of, but I've never tried to block a seller. I've put sellers on my "blocked buyer list", so there is no chance of them buying something from me. Or maybe people are talking about blocking a seller from their "search parameters"?

Was this a Star Wars toy? If it is, PM me the sellers name. There are a handful of sellers who have done this sort of thing in the past. One of them being a big name dealer in that hobby.

Close. It was a graded GI Joe figure that I really wanted, as it was a mail in exclusive. I do not like to j'ump the gun' on these sort of things, but I always sell items regardless of the end price even if it means taking a loss. I never could understand why sellers who expect a certain amount for an item don't just use a reserve.

I emailed the seller exclaiming my disappointment and I hope he responds. I am having horrible luck on eBay lately, having just received a negative comment over $13 of Lego parts I sold. I even said the buyer coud keep the darn lot if he woud remove the negative. He never even contacted me or made any other complaints; he just went right to leaving a neg.

I don't understand eBay anymore. Has it really often this bad? If so, I am glad I sold off most of my holdings in my video game business. Ironically, besides my personal video game collections (which I am of course keeping); I still have a room full of vintage video games, systems, and accessories that need to be sold. I have been out of the eBay loop for a few years, ever since I went full fledged into higher end antiques. Maybe it was for the best, who knows?

Respectfully,

'mint'

I buy and sell a lot on Ebay and I have noticed some quality control issues going on that are the seller's fault more often in these past few months. Things like over-graded books from sellers that accurately graded before. Damaged items due to horrible shipping, etc.

I am actually a proponent of Ebay because generally, people who goof up do their best to make things right - and I don't hold grudges against sellers who make an effort to fix things. I don't expect perfection from online sales, so my heart seldom gets broken.

I would let this sit in my feedback area and see if he relists for a month or two. Yeah, it's probably bad for your karma, but if he does - you can pound it up his rear with an accurate Neg.

The other side is that the guy didn't want to sell it that low, removed it and possibly sold it elsewhere - ensuring that you'd never see it listed again.

I would neg the seller and also tell everyone who it is so i can avoid him. its just a lame excuse.
Would they not want to neg you for non-payment? Not meeting your end of the deal is worthy of negative feedback if you ask me. No one is perfect, so I don't run around giving negative when I'm not 100% happy. However this is a case where at best the seller wasted your time, at worst it was fraud. I would neutral or neg.

I guess the idea of giving people the benefit of the doubt is no longer an option.

I would guess you're right and he probably has a reason for not letting it go that is not fair but he refunded the money quickly and seems to have made the right gestures. I would not leave negative in this kind of situation. I'd be annoyed and be unlikely to buy from that guy again but would tend to use negative feedback only when someone seems to be actively trying to cheat me. 2c