• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's do a top 10

160 posts in this topic

Curious as to whether the contributors of this forum could reach concensus on the top 10 ( in order) essential comic magazines.

I'll get things off and running with a few of my picks....In no certain order being that accomplishing concensus on a top 10 list will be difficult enough let alone ordering it. So , once we have agreement on the top 10 books then we can work on stage 2.

1.Vampirella 1977 Special Edition HardCover

This makes the list on rarity alone. With only 500 produced and half of those destroyed when they reached the warren offices from the printer, this book is extremely scarce. On a sidenote ,Overstreet listed this in their top 10 bronze keys.

2. Mad Magazine #24 (first magazine issue of Mad)

3. Savage Tales #1

I'm with you on the first three choices! thumbsup2.gif

I'd like to add Famous Monsters # 1 !

Would it be wrong to suggest Playboy # 1 ? It's not a Comic Magazine, but it's a highly significant & collected magazine. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Off the top of my head...

Eerie # 1 (B/W low print run. Printed quickly to secure title)

Savage Tales # 1 (Intro Man-Thing)

Savage Sword Of Conan # 1

Creepy # 1

Eerie # 2 (?)

Vampirella # 1 (First Bronze Bag Girl?)

Nightmare # 1

Psycho # 1

Scream # 1

Nightmare # 20 (First John Byrne art)

Are we going for rarity, importance, or a combo of the two? Here would be my preliminary 10 based on "historical" importance:

1. Mad # 24

2. EC Terror Illustrated # 1

3. Savage Tales # 1

4. Heavy Metal # 1

5. Cracked # 1

6. Weird Mysteries # 1

7. Savage Sword of Conan # 1

8. Creepy # 1

9. Nightmare # 1

10. Web of Horror # 1

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are we going for rarity, importance, or a combo of the two? Here would be my preliminary 10 based on "historical" importance:

Combo of any factors you deem relevant. List should be all inclusive.

I'll add a few more ...

Blazing Combat 1

Early Warren War Mag with Frazetta Art and a fairly rare book.

My idea is to give the compilation period of this thread a few more days and then we can get to the ego-bruising task of justifying our picks and weeding out others as neccessary.

1. Mad # 24

2. EC Terror Illustrated # 1

3. Savage Tales # 1

4. Heavy Metal # 1

5. Cracked # 1

6. Weird Mysteries # 1

7. Savage Sword of Conan # 1

8. Creepy # 1

9. Nightmare # 1

10. Web of Horror # 1

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think a good thing to do is, if you build a list, place the reason why you thought of that specific book in parenthesis after it. Like Keith for example, why do you feel Heavy Metal #1 is a top 10 noteriety? It will help the rest of the board to make decisions as well. I'll get a list going to with my comments. Please all make comments!

Well, I was going to wait until we had more lists to start "defending" and explaining my picks, but I'm alittle antsy, so....

1. Mad # 24 (well, if ya need this one explained, wtf ya doin' here!?)

2. EC Terror Illustrated # 1 (picto-fiction horror, setting the stage for future titles)

3. Savage Tales # 1 (brought the fantasy genre into mags, and... what's that thing's name ..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

4. Heavy Metal # 1 (High quality COLOR with ground breaking adult oriented material. Proved comic mags did not have to be cheaply made and b&w. Hey, and it spawned two animated films. I admit now, I'm no expert on the title, so I don't even know if it began with #1, just assuming.)

5. Cracked # 1 (the 2nd most successful comic satire rag)

6. Weird Mysteries # 1 (A 1950's anomoly that showed publishers were still willing to try horror after EC had bailed from the game. I look at it as the indy rock garage band release of this list.)

7. Savage Sword of Conan # 1 (the long running b&w adventures of everybody's favorite Cimmerian. Format was much more suited to adapting REH's material than the four color counterpart which was code constrained.)

8. Creepy # 1 (the launching of the Warren comic mag empire. I give a nod to FM, but hey, it wsn't a comic mag so it isn't on my list.)

9. Nightmare # 1 (Setting the stage for the Skywald Horror Mood!)

10. Web of Horror # 1 (The "coulda been" of the list, cuz it coulda been such a different story for mag history had the publisher not flaked out after just 3 issues. Still, it opened up the doors for then newbies like Jeff Jones, Bruce Jones, Mike Kaluta, Frank Brunner, and some other guy, oh what's his name, oh yeah... Berni Wrightson! hail.gif)

OK guys, my "ego" is ready for bruisin', fire away if you wish. Again, this list of mine is not based on rarity at all, or else I would have included a couple that you guys have already mentioned here and there.

I'm nowhere near qualified as some of you to make a list, but shouldn't Warrior be included somewhere in the Top 10? It's not rare by any means, but it laid the groundwork for the "British Invasion" in comicdom. confused-smiley-013.gif

Flame away! smile.gif

I'm nowhere near qualified as some of you to make a list, but shouldn't Warrior be included somewhere in the Top 10? It's not rare by any means, but it laid the groundwork for the "British Invasion" in comicdom. confused-smiley-013.gif

Flame away! smile.gif

I think you might have a point there...you see posting sober CAN be fun !

4. Heavy Metal # 1 I admit now, I'm no expert on the title, so I don't even know if it began with #1, just assuming.)

Yep, it all started with #1. The back issues they advertise in the early issues all start there.

This title needs to be in overstreet. mad.gif

Heavy Metal is actually based on a French magazine 'Metal Hurlant' which started in 1974 (featuring such talents as Moebius). National Lampoon purchased the rights to make an american version in 1977 (Heavy Metal).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from http://www.metalhurlant.com/

December 1974, in Paris, France, Dionnet, Druillet, Moebius and other coconspirators create the magazine Métal Hurlant ("Screaming Metal"), as well as the publishing house, Les Humanoïdes Associés.

They launch a powerful rocket that brings comic books to regions previously unknown, thus encouraging new graphic designs and storylines that flourish, building a bridge between genres and nations. For these efforts humanity will forever be in their debt.

Métal Hurlant hits the comic book world like a thunderclap; its lightning-bolt logo is soon seen on the covers of several international versions.

The publisher of National Lampoon asks for the rights to publish an American version of the magazine. The Métal Hurlant team is untrained in the harsh reality of publishing and gives away the rights to the concept for free when they sell the content. They feel that spreading the style of Métal Hurlant to America is payment enough. The first issue of Heavy Metal hits the stands in April 1977, cashing in on its predecessors'success.

July 1987, the rocket crashes as the original French edition of Métal Hurlant is discontinued. Meanwhile, Les Humanoïdes Associés keeps going on its own, continually releasing extraordinary graphic novels created by Europe's greatest talents.

Nina- yes, it does need to be in Overstreet. C'mon, I mean Moebius, Corben, Wrightson; all had work associated with this title. How about Von Bode? I can't think off the top of my head, but didn't he have some material in hm as well? Regardless, it needs to be in the OSG.

Raven- thanks for that link and info. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm feeling completely secure in including hm in my top 10 right now!

I agree with most picks, but think creepy #1 counts in place of it as well as eerie #1 & 2 which were just the same thing in another form. Famous Monsters #1 is not really a comic, but certainly is extremely important and did lead to creepy #1. In fact the first warren comic was a wally wood adaptation of the Mummy in an issue of FM (47 i think)

I agree with most picks, but think creepy #1 counts in place of it as well as eerie #1 & 2 which were just the same thing in another form. Famous Monsters #1 is not really a comic, but certainly is extremely important and did lead to creepy #1. In fact the first warren comic was a wally wood adaptation of the Mummy in an issue of FM (47 i think)

I agree with creepy #1

besides the points you make, we have a Jack Davis cover along with the last Frazetta interior art in a comic.

Bounty coder,

Please post your picks for the top 10. I think (and I'm sure everyone agrees) that your input is essential. I need to keep this topic moving though , and my intent is that by monday we start deciding our top 10.