• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow..cool comic related crafting on Etsy!

32 posts in this topic

Sweet, looks like someone is stealing copyrighted material and making $$ off of it!

She takes comic books she owns and cuts them up for this..and yes I know this for a fact.

If I buy a comic book..cut it up ..and use it to make shoes..

it is my comic book..I bought it..if I want to shred it for kitty litter,making shoes,wallets..

A person can use it for whatever they want once they buy a comic

No one goes after people selling back issues..these are back issues made fashionable

Sweet, looks like someone is stealing copyrighted material and making $$ off of it!

If she took the images, duplicated them and mass produced hundreds of the same pattern and image that would be true.

These look like individual creations using actual comic pages. That's not stealing.

If she took the images, duplicated them and mass produced hundreds of the same pattern and image that would be true.

These look like individual creations using actual comic pages. That's not stealing.

Yes she cuts the pictures and panels and uses the actual books for her crafting.

She is a young lady and the daughter of one of my good friends. She also collects books, original art, she cosplays as well. She is a big comic book fan..

Yes she cuts the pictures and panels and uses the actual books for her crafting.

She is a young lady and the daughter of one of my good friends. She also collects books, original art, she cosplays as well. She is a big comic book fan..

Thanks for the correction :thumbsup:

Enjoy your shoes.

If she is using the images as a way to sell the shoes, I'd think this could still be infringement. By selling them, it clearly places a value on the infringement "damages".

DG

I posted this a while ago in the Modern section, but as long as we are talking about Etsy fan art:

thorsign_zpsb4be27f3.jpg

This Etsy artist made it as a commission for me. It's my favorite quote from Jason Aaron's Thor run. She makes cool signs from drift wood.

She will only do comic fan art as commissions because of Etsy's strict copyright policy, so that's why you won't see comic art listed in her store.

I just got some pieces from this guy. Love this stuff. Pop art comic book paintings.

http://jdtoonart.blogspot.com/

Nick.jpg

This is awesome! Curious about the price range, and how long a commission takes...wonder if its possible before xmas hm Thanks for sharing this!

I picked up that Nick Fury and Dr Strange, already on ebay. He shipped very fast and items were very well packaged (from UK).

I thought prices were very fair. See http://www.ebay.com/usr/jdtoonart.

I commissioned a 3rd piece, Hydra art, to complement the Dr Strange and Nick Fury Strange Tales-era art. He got that done in under a week and I'm expecting it soon.

Its a shame someone as seemingly talented as this last guy has to steal others property to sell anything. I don't understand why people are so willing to buy from thieves.. Yes, they are cool, but the guy should go the right way and license the stuff. Otherwise he's just stealing. Theft is theft. Doesn't matter if its stealing candy from a baby or from a billion dollar megolopoly.

If she is using the images as a way to sell the shoes, I'd think this could still be infringement. By selling them, it clearly places a value on the infringement "damages".

DG

Sell a comic intact, all good. Chop a comic up and sell it, copyright infringement.

Its a shame someone as seemingly talented as this last guy has to steal others property to sell anything. I don't understand why people are so willing to buy from thieves.. Yes, they are cool, but the guy should go the right way and license the stuff. Otherwise he's just stealing. Theft is theft. Doesn't matter if its stealing candy from a baby or from a billion dollar megolopoly.
Do you feel the same about cover recreations done by board members on here?