• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cost of an original sketch at a comic convention?

10 posts in this topic

The last I saw Tony Moore was $200 for a remark on a comic book that was not a blank cover comic. I have no idea what a blank would be but probably alot more than $200. Chris Claremont is a writer, so he does not draw. His prices as of NYCC 2013 are $5 for a non-CGC signature or $10 for a CGC signature. John Romita does not do sketch covers anymore.

Tony Moore had a sign up at NYCC that said $400 for a sketch. Claremont isn't an artist, so he doesn't sketch. John Byrne doesn't do many appearances and never sketches, so getting a sketch from him at any price would be great. Same goes for John Romita.

With a few exceptions, most well known artists charge about $20-50 for a headsketch, and then vary on the more detailed stuff. Some will even sketch for free, if you catch them at the right time.

Perez is $40 for a "quick sketch". It's a few minutes and not very detailed. Not sure if he offers anything else but from what I've seen and heard it's usually the "$40 quickie" ;)

I paid $200 for my Adams. It was just a DD headshot/side profile (but most of his are).

The head sketch's he does during the show were $200 at Wizard World Austin a few days ago. As for the rest yep, his prices are pretty damn high and he knows it. One of the reasons he offers almost layaway for a sketch where if you want one you can pay over time to be able to get one at the Con of your choice.

The head sketch's he does during the show were $200 at Wizard World Austin a few days ago. As for the rest yep, his prices are pretty damn high and he knows it. One of the reasons he offers almost layaway for a sketch where if you want one you can pay over time to be able to get one at the Con of your choice.

What Adams charges at a show is different than what he charges for commissions at home

This has all been very helpful.

I was hoping that sketches from a 'known artist' would be around the $100 mark, but seems I'll need at least $200 to be safe.

Best advice i can give you is contact the artist ahead of time. The artist will let you know if they do sketches at cons, what they are willing to do at cons, and what their cost is. The artist might be willing to do more at home then at cons as well. For instance Mike Grell will only do pencil sketches at cons if you want ink and color you have to contact him in advance because he refuses to bring those supplies to cons.