• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My comic collecting days are over...

42 posts in this topic

A little background first.

Back in July of 1998, I was getting interested in buying comics again and started to bid on several comic auctions on ebay. I won an auction for an Incredible Hulk #181. I got it for a pretty good price, $130US, and it was in Very Fine condition.

Since I first heard of CGC, in 2000?, I have been thinking about getting this comic graded... especially because of its ever increasing value... and its decent condition.

I was not aware of a "marvel value stamp" that was inside this particular issue until recently. Its actually been about 2 months... and today... I finally got the guts to open it up to see if the stamp was intact. My hesitation was due to the many horror stories I've heard related to ebay auctions. I just didn't want my fear to become a reality. And behold... today I opened it up... and there was... or perhaps there it wasn't... a nicely cut out... where the "marvel value stamp" should have been located.

I have a pretty good idea of who I bought this comic off... although not 100% sure...I emailed them just now and they replied saying that they only sold beanie babies back then. foreheadslap.gif

I'm still in shock... I just don't know how I can continue to collect comics after something like this has happened... to many of you a $130 loss on a comic may seem to be little... but when your budget for comics is as low as mine is... well... to me it might as well have been the first appearance of superman...

So... is there any point in having CGC grade it now?

1) Don't have the book graded unless you think it's extremely high-grade (9.0 or higher)

2) Don't stop collecting because of one bad experience. I know the value of my collection dropped $3-4K the first time I sent books to CGC BECAUSE, three major keys had RESTORATION.

3) Sell the book. If you don't, everytime you look at it, you will be upset.

Think of it this way, if everybody who had a bad experience gave up, NOTHING would get accomplished.

Hang in there!!! thumbsup2.gif

Easy there tiger. A MVS clipped VF Hulk 181 is worth WAY more than $150. I sold a MVS clipped VG minus copy for $195 last year myself. Yeah, it's not what you thought it was, but that's okay because it's also not as worthless as you might have thought.

I know it feels like a punch in the gut when you feel like you've gotten burned, but put it in perspective: you've got a nice issue of a key book with great eye appeal that you can sell tomorrow for well over the price you paid for it. Sounds like you're doing okay to me. thumbsup2.gif

Don't feel bad. If it's really in VF condition except for the missing value stamp, it will get a green qualified label. Green label VF 8.0 copies of that book have sold for an average of $461.66 in the past 12 months. Pretty good return on your investment!

In fact, even VG 4.0 copies with missing value stamps sell for more than you paid for it. Even a VG- 3.5 with amateur color touch sells for more than $130.

Feel happy. You made out like a bandit! yay.gifyay.gif

If you need the money, definitely get it graded and sell it. You'll make a nice, 80% profit even if the book grades out as a F/VF 7.0, and if it comes back 7.5 or 8.0, you'll triple or even quadruple your money. cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Back in July of 1998, I was getting interested in buying comics again and started to bid on several comic auctions on ebay. I won an auction for an Incredible Hulk #181. I got it for a pretty good price, $130US, and it was in Very Fine condition.

Since I first heard of CGC, in 2000?, I have been thinking about getting this comic graded... especially because of its ever increasing value... and its decent condition.

I was not aware of a "marvel value stamp" that was inside this particular issue until recently. Its actually been about 2 months... and today... I finally got the guts to open it up to see if the stamp was intact. My hesitation was due to the many horror stories I've heard related to ebay auctions. I just didn't want my fear to become a reality. And behold... today I opened it up... and there was... or perhaps there it wasn't... a nicely cut out... where the "marvel value stamp" should have been located.

I have a pretty good idea of who I bought this comic off... although not 100% sure...I emailed them just now and they replied saying that they only sold beanie babies back then. foreheadslap.gif

I'm still in shock... I just don't know how I can continue to collect comics after something like this has happened... to many of you a $130 loss on a comic may seem to be little... but when your budget for comics is as low as mine is... well... to me it might as well have been the first appearance of superman...

1) Don't have the book graded unless you think it's extremely high-grade (9.0 or higher)

Although I usually agree with this philosophy on bronze books, Steve, I think that a Hulk 181 with a coupon clipped is an exception. With the missing coupon, I think a buyer would want the security of knowing the actual grade of the comic.

the price seems almost too good to be true.....130 bucks for a "nice condition" 181 seems like a steal, even in '98. I don't think its worth cgcing at this point, why not just keep it for your collection? or maybe have it restored?

First, I sympathize with your situation. In this hobby, it's far too frequent, but your plight is the posterchild for two things:

1). The value of CGC in guaranteeing the grade of a comic.

2). The value of thoroughly examining every raw purchase you make within the normal return period allowed by most sellers.

The fact is, even the best dealers don't examine every page of every book, and things like this do come up. Every collector should be in the habit of thumbing through a new purchase of $50 or more, just to make sure they don't discover a clipped coupon, writing, staining or whatever some time down the line.

$130 is a lot of money for any collector, but it isn't the end of the world. I'd chalk it up to experience and recommend you stay in the hobby if you still have a desire and passion for it.

I remember winning a set of Bronze Captain America and Falcons early in my eBay career. I likewise didn't think anything about Marvel Value Stamps (missing or otherwise) tho' I do recall adoring them as a kid.

I sent my money out and - while I was waiting - decided to read the seller's feedback one day. Several recent negs due to MVS missing. My heart sank since the Caps I just won were solidly within the MVS years.

I got the books and paged through each one of them. Sure enough a few were missing MVS.

Fortunately, these were in lesser grade dupes. The issues that I needed from the set were intact.

I did sell/trade to my LCS and didn't have to suffer too much of a discount for it. The dealer easily sold them since Caps seem to be in short supply in these parts.

So, if the book really is VF otherwise, I'd guess you'd be able to make your money back (or at least most of it). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Sorry to hear that Eddly. We all have our horror stories from our transactions on Ebay. When I first joined Ebay I bought two raw comic books (Incredible Hulk #181 and Amazing Spider-Man #5 - advertised as VF) from this one person for $700. I never received the books even after filing complaints with Ebay and the authorities. I talked to him once on his cell phone after multiple e-mails, and he was vacationing in Hawaii 893censored-thumb.gif. I still haven't forgotten after 2 years.

That day I learned that I shouldn't play with the big boys until I had the proper experience on Ebay. My advice is start slow with small purchases, then move on to bigger ones once you become more comfortable with certain clients.

It's really not worth buying big ticket items unless they're CGC graded or from a reputable seller. You might think you're getting a deal but in reality you're not. I have sent over 150 raw books that I've purchsed off Ebay to be CGC graded, and overall I've lost money on them.

Thanks for the advice guys... just a "little" upset right now...

I was scared to look to see if the stamp was there for long a time... I just had a feeling it wouldn't be there... I realize I shouldn't be so quick to give up collecting entirely... but... I dunno... I have to sell the book now though... it makes me sick to look at it...

the price seems almost too good to be true.....130 bucks for a "nice condition" 181 seems like a steal, even in '98. I don't think its worth cgcing at this point, why not just keep it for your collection? or maybe have it restored?

I'm not sure if $130 was a steal back then... I remember checking the Overstreet price on it, and I think it was around $500? The xmen movies really spiked its value.

Don't feel bad. If it's really in VF condition except for the missing value stamp, it will get a green qualified label. Green label VF 8.0 copies of that book have sold for an average of $461.66 in the past 12 months. Pretty good return on your investment!

In fact, even VG 4.0 copies with missing value stamps sell for more than you paid for it. Even a VG- 3.5 with amateur color touch sells for more than $130.

If you need the money, definitely get it graded and sell it. You'll make a nice, 80% profit even if the book grades out as a F/VF 7.0, and if it comes back 7.5 or 8.0, you'll triple or even quadruple your money. cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

thanks ffb, your making me feel a little better. thumbsup2.gif

Just wondering, and I don't mean to be rude by asking this, but why didn't you just examine the book when you received it six years ago?

I mean, the first thing I would recommend anyone do when buying on eBay is that they inspect the merchandise when it arrives to make sure they got exactly what they paid for.

I'm a little confused... why are we trying to assuage Eddly's feelings by stating that the book is worth MORE than he paid for it? Granted, Eddly made it pretty clear in his original post that $ was the determining factor for the ill feeling he's experiencing, but shouldn't the answer be: "hey, you've got a cool book in decent shape that you presumably bought for some reason other than flipping - enjoy it and be glad you're not a day-trader trying to make money off the DAX" ??

We're always advocating a "buy what you love, love what you buy" philosophy, but the minute someone tries to leave our ranks we drag 'em back in with dollar $ign$.

893naughty-thumb.gifsign-rantpost.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Just wondering, and I don't mean to be rude by asking this, but why didn't you just examine the book when you received it six years ago?

What Kevin said. confused-smiley-013.gif

"I was not aware of a "marvel value stamp" that was inside this particular issue until recently."

Is this Tango, or Eddly?

I am confused.. but then again.

That is not hard to do.

Either way.. sorry to hear you were upset about your discovery..

Let some time pass.

You will see things differently in a few days..

Believe me I know first hand how it is to make a decision at an emotional time..

I recently made a rash decision I thought was for the best at the time..

And missed out on a grading contest due to it. foreheadslap.gif

sorry.gif

So chin up eddly_cash,chalk it up to a learning experience, you have already had offers to buy it, and if you really do wanna unload it to remove it from your sight.. sounds like you could even make a profit from the bad experience.

Ze-.

I mean, the first thing I would recommend anyone do when buying on eBay is that they inspect the merchandise when it arrives to make sure they got exactly what they paid for.

As I stated earlier, I was not aware of the "marvel value stamp" till recently. The Bronze age is before my time... The only coupon I knew of for this issue was the one on the back cover. When I received the comic, I did check the front cover, and back cover and I concluded that it was accurately graded. I even checked the first page to see if it was a reprint. Checking anything beyond that... didn't occur to me to be necessary... I wasn't familiar with the book.

Also, to top it off... after having the comic in my poesession for just a week... I moved out of the country (another story entirely). I left the comic with my parents, along with the majority of all my other posessions... I returned two years later.

So, your right... I should have checked every page. But, how was I to know?