• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: Adventure Comics 247 or Justice League of America 1 ?

Bigger SA Key: Adventure 247 or JLA 1  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key: Adventure 247 or JLA 1

51 posts in this topic

Think how ASM 1 has surged in value as AF15 has been priced out of reach for most collectors. This will happen with JLA1 vis-a-vis BB28, causing JLA1 to surpass Adv247. But to be clear, I would rather collect/hold Adv247 over JLA1 any day.

I just don't see it. ASM is the most collected title on the planet and Marvels flagship character. I don't think the JLA 1 compares well to that book.

Admittedly, it's an imperfect comparison. But now we see that WW has been cast for the next Superman film. JLA on the big screen is starting to come together and I think JLA 1 is going to pass Adv247 because BB28 will be in the stratosphere.

Think how ASM 1 has surged in value as AF15 has been priced out of reach for most collectors. This will happen with JLA1 vis-a-vis BB28, causing JLA1 to surpass Adv247. But to be clear, I would rather collect/hold Adv247 over JLA1 any day.

But ASM 1 is really ASM 2, whereas JLA 1 is really JLA 4. So it's not a perfect comparison.

My only question is: Where is is the Adventure 247 in 9.6 and how much do I have to pay?

I you wonder why I don't ask about the JLA1 in 9.6 you already know why ;)

don't know about the 9.6 but the 9.4 is right above me I believe.

Brave and the Bold 28 will overtake Showcase 4 in both price and popularity eventually, as it should. Just my 2c

Should? Why? Even if Brave and the Bold 28 were to surpass Showcase 4 in popularity, Brave and the Bold 28 is far more plentiful than Showcase 4 so I doubt that Brave and the Bold 28 will catch up to Showcase 4 in price.

???

It's just my opinion Hepcat.

I don's subscribe to the Overstreet doctrine that claims the silver age started with SC 4 in '56 and that every DC that month is now magically silver age. I believe Showcase 4 was a book instrumental in the development of the SA that culminated (started) with BB 28 and from there the deluge of super hero books from both Marvel and DC.

I think BB 28 is plentiful in lower grade, but difficult in high grade. It's the Amazing Fantasy 15 of the DC silver. Look at market demand. Demand for SC 4 is tepid compared to BB 28. I have always thought SC 4 was overrated.

Again, just my opinion. :grin:

I don's subscribe to the Overstreet doctrine that claims the silver age started with SC 4 in '56 and that every DC that month is now magically silver age. I believe Showcase 4 was a book instrumental in the development of the SA that culminated (started) with BB 28 and from there the deluge of super hero books from both Marvel and DC.

I think BB 28 is plentiful in lower grade, but difficult in high grade. It's the Amazing Fantasy 15 of the DC silver. Look at market demand. Demand for SC 4 is tepid compared to BB 28. I have always thought SC 4 was overrated.

+1 x 1000!

Interesting. When it comes to which of the two I personally find more compelling, it's Brave and the Bold 28 by a mile. It's the one with the classic cover, while the cover of Showcase 4 is simplistic and crude in comparison. Moreover, I had a beat up copy of Brave and the Bold 28 as a kid. I'd acquired it in a trade. I'd therefore love to have a nice copy today to replace the one I had so very long ago.

Still, Showcase 4 is from that period in the mid-fifties when comics just weren't saved. I often suspect that more comics have survived from 1946 than 1956. It's therefore almost a pre-historic relic.

(shrug)

Showcase 4's scarcity, or "uncommonness" or whatever doesn't make it a more historically significant book. If that was the case we would all be wanting copies of It's Game Time or Buzzy 70.

SC 4 is a great DC comic and one of huge significance, however, I believe that BB 28 is THE start of the silver age, and from that point forward you could actually see the difference in comics. The three years succeeding BB 28 were the most exciting times in comics history since the golden age era of 1938-1940, see the comparison?

The three years after SC 4 were basically same-o, same-o. A Flash appearance or two, reintro of GL....Lois Lane gets her own comic (whoopee).

I love these conversations, and I know I am in the minority and that is okay. I also think OS guides need to really have some of their data re-evaluated. They didn't even buy into the SGT Rock first appearance in OAAW 83 even when die hard fans were clamoring for it.

OS is just plain WRONG on some stuff. You could visibly see the change in comics when the golden age started. SC 4 did not change the comics scene, it started change. I really cringe every time I look up a title like Superman or Superboy and see first silver age issue next to it. It is so arbitrary!

Okay, off soapbox lol

Showcase 4's scarcity, or "uncommonness" or whatever doesn't make it a more historically significant book. If that was the case we would all be wanting copies of It's Game Time or Buzzy 70.

Buzzy? You have any nice copies you can sell me?

The three years after SC 4 were basically same-o, same-o. A Flash appearance or two, reintro of GL....Lois Lane gets her own comic (whoopee).

Well there was a bit more than that, e.g. Challengers of the Unknown, Space Ranger, Adam Strange, Rip Hunter and the Fly from Archie.

Interesting this whole question though. While I absolutely positively must add a nice copy of Brave and the Bold 28 to my collection at some point, I'm not similarly drawn to either Showcase 4 or Adventure 247, particularly at the prices they command. Quite simply, neither the Flash nor the Legionnares had the polish in their first appearance that they displayed shortly thereafter. I'd be content to have Adventure 267 kicking off my Legion collection.

By the same token, I'd be content to have Amazing Spider-Man 1 kicking off my Spider-Man run as opposed to Amazing Fantasy 15. Jack Kirby's rendering of Spider-Man is just too crude on the Amazing Fantasy cover which looks like he dashed it off on his coffee break. Besides, the origin story is reprinted in Amazing Spider-Man 1 anyway.

(shrug)

I have as many nice copies of comics for sale as you do :baiting:lol

Does it matter which one is the bigger key? Which is the bigger key to YOU?

Everyone will have a different thought on the matter depending on his or her personal collecting interest. I wouldn't worry about what the general public views which issue is more key then the other unless you want to speculate on the issue. Otherwise get the one you like the most.

SC 4 did not change the comics scene, it started change. I really cringe every time I look up a title like Superman or Superboy and see first silver age issue next to it. It is so arbitrary!

I agree. The Silver Age didn't start for all DC superhero titles the same month Showcase 4 hit the stands. The date it started for each title is different for each title and is very much title specific.

Still Showcase 4 kicked off all the wonderful Silver Age character introductions in both Showcase and Brave and the Bold and was certainly the starting point of the Julius Schwartz Silver Age universe. It is the seminal Silver Age comic.

:preach:

Well there was a bit more than that, e.g. Challengers of the Unknown, Space Ranger, Adam Strange, Rip Hunter and the Fly from Archie.

Interesting this whole question though. While I absolutely positively must add a nice copy of Brave and the Bold 28 to my collection at some point, I'm not similarly drawn to either Showcase 4 or Adventure 247, particularly at the prices they command. Quite simply, neither the Flash nor the Legionnares had the polish in their first appearance that they displayed shortly thereafter. I'd be content to have Adventure 267 kicking off my Legion collection.

By the same token, I'd be content to have Amazing Spider-Man 1 kicking off my Spider-Man run as opposed to Amazing Fantasy 15. Jack Kirby's rendering of Spider-Man is just too crude on the Amazing Fantasy cover which looks like he dashed it off on his coffee break. Besides, the origin story is reprinted in Amazing Spider-Man 1 anyway.

(shrug)

I haven't read ASM #1 in over a decade so I can't comment on whether ASM 15 is reprinted in it. I didn't think it was.

Anyhow, as much as I have a strong dislike for Kirby's artwork, the cover to AF15 is significantly superior to his cover on ASM #1 (Kirby pencils, Ditko inks). The two covers aren't in the same league.