• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Factor 5 & 6

254 posts in this topic

What did the book end up at? I couldn't find it.

Final hammer price….$3,352

I just hope this guy has about $3,000,000 in the bank, as that's what he'd need to make wasting $3-4K "totally inconsequential".

Ha! I originally said $3750. Poor sap is going to hate when there's 20 of them, and selling for under $1K.

They are never saps. They are high-grade Copper Age collectors. There's a difference.

There's this one fellow hurting for 9.9 and 10.0 examples on here...

:baiting:

Ha! I originally said $3750. Poor sap is going to hate when there's 20 of them, and selling for under $1K.

They are never saps. They are high-grade Copper Age collectors. There's a difference.

There's also this poor sap hurting for a Twisted Metal 2 promotional comic. I hear he's willing to throw "stupid amounts" of money out there to get it. :whistle:

:gossip: Not for my collection.

There's also this poor sap hurting for a Twisted Metal 2 promotional comic. I hear he's willing to throw "stupid amounts" of money out there to get it. :whistle:

It's all a part of my master plan.

It's all a part of my master plan.

Yep, except it sounds like a "Master Plan" cooked up by Skeletor, Cobra Commander, and Megatron. :P

Doomed to pitiful and laughable failure. lol

I find your lack of faith disturbing. :devil:

And when this Boston Corbettesque dude buying that xf6 9.9 loses 2K in six months, then skeletor can giggle. Me... I couldn't care less. I actually applaud people buying these books at these prices. Only helps me, and other copper sellers. Sap or not.

And At the cost of the TM book I was hoping to buy, I'd make a profit if I decided I wanted to sell it eventually. There are fewer than 5 of these known to exist, and no more than 50 possible. Big difference. I was never going to get a steal on it. Those who have a copy know exactly what they have. It's a 4 figure book, and there are MANY people who would easily pay it. No comparison in the two books.

I say $2k. Only 2 9.9's, but there will be a lot more. Look at WD #1, a lot of 9.9:s. NM 98 had a few 9.9's, then a 10.0 is found. I wouldn't buy it.

It's already at 2K with a day left. I'm still thinking it may break 3.

It has a CVA sticker on it so, it may hit 5K :roflmao:

Confused. Why is there a CVA sticker on the second photo and not on the first? What does it mean anyway?

X-Factor #5 final panel.

Apocalypse.jpg

The backstory.

Originally Bob Layton, writer of the first five issues of X-Factor, had intended to use the Owl as the Alliance of Evil's mysterious master (mentioned in X-Factor #4; May 1986). The final page of X-Factor #5 initially featured Owl. However, as Layton was removed from the book and replaced with Louise Simonson, the final page was changed to feature a new character named Apocalypse instead, as Simonson and editor Bob Harras wanted a new villain for the book.

Harras explained, "As soon as I saw the sketch by Walter [simonson] and heard Louise's take on him. I knew we had the character I wanted. Jackson [Guice] re-drew the page, patching in the shadowy Apocalypse where the Owl had been. But the genesis was clearly Walt and Weezie's."

And history was made.

He looks like a Deadshot or Deathstroke knock-off in that last panel. lol

Yes, but so critical someone just copied the same image I referenced so we can accomplish Apocalypse's dastardly plan to take over the Copper Age boards.

(:

:ohnoez:

Oh, and a little more details.

Jackson Guice, artist on the early issues, explained:

"I'm not sure how much of Bob's original plan Louise was informed of when she came on board--not a conversation I would have been involved with, I'm afraid. Louise is a terrific writer, however, so I assume she wanted to implement her own ideas wherever she could. I do vaguely recall her telling me the broad strokes for Apocalypse extremely early on in our discussions. She always intended for him to be a true heavyweight contender as a villain—all of which bore out."

Bob Harras claimed that the character arose because of storytelling needs: "All I had communicated to Louise was my desire that an A-level, first class character be introduced. I wanted a Magneto-level villain who would up the stakes and give the X-Factor team reason to exist." Harras also commented, "As soon as I saw the sketch by Walter [simonson] and heard Louise's take on him, I knew we had the character I wanted. Jackson [Guice] redrew the page, patching in the shadowy Apocalypse where the Owl had been. But the genesis was clearly Walt and Weezie's." Walter Simonson himself has downplayed his role in the character's creation, saying that Guice was responsible for creating the design and that he, Simonson, merely modified it later: "I did not co-create Apocalypse. However, I wish I had. Louise Simonson and Jackson Guice created him. He appeared in a few panels at the end of one of Jackson’s last X-FACTORs, so I am the first artist to use him extensively in stories. And I kind of juiced up his physique a bit."

I think they definitely accomplished their mission with this character.

Oh, and a little more details.

Jackson Guice, artist on the early issues, explained:

"I'm not sure how much of Bob's original plan Louise was informed of when she came on board--not a conversation I would have been involved with, I'm afraid. Louise is a terrific writer, however, so I assume she wanted to implement her own ideas wherever she could. I do vaguely recall her telling me the broad strokes for Apocalypse extremely early on in our discussions. She always intended for him to be a true heavyweight contender as a villain—all of which bore out."

Bob Harras claimed that the character arose because of storytelling needs: "All I had communicated to Louise was my desire that an A-level, first class character be introduced. I wanted a Magneto-level villain who would up the stakes and give the X-Factor team reason to exist." Harras also commented, "As soon as I saw the sketch by Walter [simonson] and heard Louise's take on him, I knew we had the character I wanted. Jackson [Guice] redrew the page, patching in the shadowy Apocalypse where the Owl had been. But the genesis was clearly Walt and Weezie's." Walter Simonson himself has downplayed his role in the character's creation, saying that Guice was responsible for creating the design and that he, Simonson, merely modified it later: "I did not co-create Apocalypse. However, I wish I had. Louise Simonson and Jackson Guice created him. He appeared in a few panels at the end of one of Jackson’s last X-FACTORs, so I am the first artist to use him extensively in stories. And I kind of juiced up his physique a bit."

I think they definitely accomplished their mission with this character.

I love reading stuff like this! Thanks for sharing