• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Factor 5 & 6

254 posts in this topic

I was referring to the copies that have about 1/16" of the corner missing. Production defect or not there has to be a grade ceiling for a book with that type of damage.

Unfortunately, very typical. I've seen many examples with at least one corner missing, and then some with both right-side corners missing.

Ask RMA. He typically knows all this stuff. I can't imagine the print run being that high. Only because the series seemed to slow up really quick after the first issue. I could be wrong.

Marvel top ten direct sales titles February 1986:

1. X-Factor #5

2. X-Men #206

3. Marvel Universe #7

4. Alpha Flight #35

5. Fantastic Four #291

6. New Mutants #40

7. West Coast Avengers #9

8. Amazing Spider-Man #277

9. Web Of Spider-Man #15

10. Firestar #4

Ask RMA. He typically knows all this stuff. I can't imagine the print run being that high. Only because the series seemed to slow up really quick after the first issue. I could be wrong.

1. X-Factor #5

2. X-Men #206

3. Marvel Universe #7

4. Alpha Flight #35

5. Fantastic Four #291

6. New Mutants #40

9. Web Of Spider-Man #15

10. Firestar #4

Here is what I found doing some research.

October 1985's top seller at Capital City was Marvel's X-Factor #1, with orders of 77,800 copies through Capital; overall sales were likely north of 400,000 copies. Secret Wars II crossovers were also continuing to appear in many Marvel titles; Uncanny X-Men #232 was one, ranking as the second-place title. Crisis on Infinite Earths, nearing its conclusion, saw its 11th issue place fourth. The big buzz of the month, though, was that John Byrne — the force behind X-Factor #1 — would be taking over Superman in 1986; the reboot ultimately made a huge difference to Superman's sales.

So all that said I thought the print run was roughly around 200-250K give or take. I would imagine sales didnt fall off more then 50% and I would say less. This was from Comichrons website.

1. X-Factor #5

2. X-Men #206

3. Marvel Universe #7

4. Alpha Flight #35

5. Fantastic Four #291

6. New Mutants #40

9. Web Of Spider-Man #15

10. Firestar #4

Here is what I found doing some research.

October 1985's top seller at Capital City was Marvel's X-Factor #1, with orders of 77,800 copies through Capital; overall sales were likely north of 400,000 copies. Secret Wars II crossovers were also continuing to appear in many Marvel titles; Uncanny X-Men #232 was one, ranking as the second-place title. Crisis on Infinite Earths, nearing its conclusion, saw its 11th issue place fourth. The big buzz of the month, though, was that John Byrne — the force behind X-Factor #1 — would be taking over Superman in 1986; the reboot ultimately made a huge difference to Superman's sales.

That should be X-Men 202, I think.

When I was hooked on X-Factor as a kid I would always check it's sales status in Marvel Age and after the first 5 or 6 issues it was #2 behind X-Men for a couple of years, sometimes falling a place or two if a #1 or a big event book was out, it wasn't until after Inferno and Walt Simonsons departure (around issue 40) that it started to slip towards the lower part of the top 10.

1. X-Factor #5

2. X-Men #206

3. Marvel Universe #7

4. Alpha Flight #35

5. Fantastic Four #291

6. New Mutants #40

9. Web Of Spider-Man #15

10. Firestar #4

Alpha Flight, New Mutants and FF were outselling ASM back then? :o:roflmao:

Makes you wonder how far the Spidey franchise would have fallen without the McSpidey run and Venom...... hm

Mind you, as a 10 year old that just started buying comics more seriously a couple of months later, the Mutant Massacre in X-Men is what got me hooked as a reader/collector. Spidey was very weak back then in comparison.

Alpha Flight, New Mutants and FF were outselling ASM back then? :o:roflmao:

The list is for direct sales, I wonder if newsstand sales would have been different? I could see better known characters like Spider-Man and Hulk selling better to the general public. At this time X-Men was not known outside of the comic book world.