• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Great Reason to NEVER buy a PGX Book or deal with them

141 posts in this topic

This stuff makes me weep. It turns CGC into a monopolistic firm-the most inefficient kind. Not saying its CGC's fault-they are just reaping the benefits of zero competition.

Every once in a while I'll see a PGX book and think about rolling the dice... then I read threads like this that bring me back to reason. Whew!

On a side note Black Cat Comics was one of my fave booths in Austin. Bought some great books from you there.Thanks guys! :applause:

I've said this before and think it worth repeating: PGX could have been an extremely successful business instead of being ran out of a residence on the fly with no actual major con presence or advertising. I think they're doing probably fifteen to twenty percent of what they could be doing in terms of business, all because a couple of people got their stupid on and got greedy.

We've seen a lot of examples of how greed is ruining people in this hobby. How hard is it to honestly represent a book? (shrug)

The ability to print Grade Certification labels has be one of the most corruptive forces on earth. It's basically the ability to print money, at will.

That one guy appears to have had access to PGX's equipment for years now. A situation that could've been resolved in short order. That it has never been dealt with leaves the impression their entire enterprise was founded around that purpose.

I've said this before and think it worth repeating: PGX could have been an extremely successful business instead of being ran out of a residence on the fly with no actual major con presence or advertising. I think they're doing probably fifteen to twenty percent of what they could be doing in terms of business, all because a couple of people got their stupid on and got greedy.

We've seen a lot of examples of how greed is ruining people in this hobby. How hard is it to honestly represent a book? (shrug)

The ability to print Grade Certification labels has be one of the most corruptive forces on earth. It's basically the ability to print money, at will.

That one guy appears to have had access to PGX's equipment for years now. A situation that could've been resolved in short order. That it has never been dealt with leaves the impression their entire enterprise was founded around that purpose.

Ah, remember how young and naive we all were over at STLComics' site?

:(

-slym

It would be like allowing a CGC employee to buy, grade, label, and encapsulate their own books. Opens up all kinds of temptation for abuse. "Hey, I need $2k so I'll buy raw 'Book X #1 4.0,' call it a PGX 7.0, sell it and go on about my business." The same example applies as the OP stated regarding cracking lower grade CGC's to make them higher grade PGX's.

Sadly, I don't know what type of legal recourse could occur because grading IS subjective and PGX could say that the grade is "their interpretation" of the condition of the book.

Why would u crack out a certified signature book!!!

:frustrated:

The books were not CGC SS books. They were blue label books that he bought at the show, went and cracked them out, had Stan sign them at the show, and now they are graded PGX SS a few days later.

Desertwind was at the show doing the witnessing for CGC. I have no idea if they do it/did it for the PGX books or not. Only they would know. If they didn't, then it appears PGX needs no witness. (shrug)

To clarify; no one is unhappy with the prices the books were sold for; a fair price was received. However, what followed was what I wanted to bring to people's attention.

Desertwind was at the show doing the witnessing for CGC. I have no idea if they do it/did it for the PGX books or not. Only they would know. If they didn't, then it appears PGX needs no witness. (shrug)

They don't (eg. PGX) - I've witnessed Ryan Elliott get books signed all by his lonesome at numerous shows and then seen them show up on eBay in PGX "signature" slabs.

At ECCC I noticed him buying 3 raw copies of Peter Panzerfaust #1 all of which I'd looked at too - none of the copies were better than a 9.4, with one being a solid VF/NM. I then saw him getting them signed by Kurtis Wiebe. All three books were posted on eBay as PGX 9.8s a couple of days later.

They don't (eg. PGX) - I've witnessed Ryan Elliott get books signed all by his lonesome at numerous shows and then seen them show up on eBay in PGX "signature" slabs.

At ECCC I noticed him buying 3 raw copies of Peter Panzerfaust #1 all of which I'd looked at too - none of the copies were better than a 9.4, with one being a solid VF/NM. I then saw him getting them signed by Kurtis Wiebe. All three books were posted on eBay as PGX 9.8s a couple of days later.

du·bi·ous (db-s, dy-)

adj.

1. Fraught with uncertainty or doubt; undecided.

2. Arousing doubt; doubtful: a dubious distinction.

3. Of questionable character: dubious profits.