• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Great Reason to NEVER buy a PGX Book or deal with them

141 posts in this topic

I have only one PGX book, also from 2006, and I agree with the grade of 8.5 on that one (based on what I can see through the slab). I have no idea how good they were at detecting restoration back then.

Catman30A.jpg

Catman30Back.jpg

It certainly looks like an easy 8.5 to me. They used to have a reputation of frequently grading more tightly than CGC in the upper grades and more loosely in the lower grades, with the big caveat that they were not only incapable of spotting all but the most obvious restoration, but worse, at times would deliberately ignore and even facilitate it.

I would certainly stay away from any PGX slab for a higher dollar book, where the possibility of shenanigans is great, but wouldn't pass up a cheaper book just because it's in a PGX slab. You do have to look at the book and label carefully if it's low grade though, ebay is full of Golden Age PGX 3.0s that would be a 1.8 at best by any reasonable standard.

My experience was that they undergraded every book that I sent them when they were in their infancy calling themselves PGA. Every book I've resubmitted to CGC has come back higher graded. Many from 8.5 to 9.4 with no pressing. Just straight resubs.

I've seen many travesty graded copies since the the are so off in the other direction that its laughable. They also have a variable standard in terms of who they are grading books for from what I see, if you are an unknown submitter, you get the strict treatment and if you are known or happen to be a grader for them, the sky is the limit.

All my speculation but based upon the facts Ive seen.

If I'm buying a PGA PGX or other incarnation, the first question I'd ask is was it submitted by the seller. The second question would be do they live in Oregon. If the answers are yes and no, then at least you have a shot at getting a decent book that may even be undergraded. Of course the resto check is worthless....

This book was purchased at WW Austin at my booth and was a CGC 4.0

Cracked out, signed by Stan and then graded by PGX.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-HULK-1-PGX-7-0-Signature-Edition-Stan-Lee-Auto-/310810179888?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item485dbaf930

bcc, the 3 comics he cracked open and regraded all looked undergraded by cgc.

DJBrady only shows the front covers on his auctions so I wonder if there's damage on the back covers. Do you remember?

I guess part of his methodology is to look over hundreds of slabs with an eye for good "front cover" appeal. To me, looking at his pics, the JIM 83 & the DD 1 look like they could actually pass for the grades he gave them (which makes me think they must have flawed back covers), the Hulk 1 he's selling doesn't come close to a 7.0, but it looks like it could be a 5.0 or 5.5 judging from the front cover.

If you have pics of the 3 comics in their CGC slabs I would love to see them, especially the back covers.

BTW.... I am SO grateful for these boards educating me about crooks like Djbrady.

I do not have ready access to scans of the books in CGC holders although I know there are some not so great pictures of them. I was sharing my booth with a friend since Wizards booth costs have gotten ridiculous (that's another story). The books were his. I will let him decide if he wants to get involved in the conversation here; not my call.

I handled the books several times and was present for the entire transaction and can state unequivocally that they are the exact same books. You can take my word for it or not.

The books looked to be graded tight but not out of whack considering CGC is in their "tight" stage right now; much like my ex-wife was in the mid 90's.

You should be able to tell the Hulk 1 that is graded at a 7.0 is ridiculously and unscrupulously overgraded. I wouldn't argue with a 4.5 but anything above that is :screwy:

I will add that when I started this thread I did not know he was a "grader" for PGX, just that he was associated with them on a "friendly" level.

My feelings have now gone from "just not wanting to have anything to do with PGX books" to contempt.

I do not have ready access to scans of the books in CGC holders although I know there are some not so great pictures of them. I was sharing my booth with a friend since Wizards booth costs have gotten ridiculous (that's another story). The books were his. I will let him decide if he wants to get involved in the conversation here; not my call.

I handled the books several times and was present for the entire transaction and can state unequivocally that they are the exact same books. You can take my word for it or not.

I don't think anyone doubts you. Evidence of this has been presented on the boards before.

The books looked to be graded tight but not out of whack considering CGC is in their "tight" stage right now; much like my ex-wife was in the mid 90's.

Classic statement! As someone with an ex-wife I laughed out loud. :roflmao:

You gotta' love that he has now hidden his feedback and the majority of his auctions are now private. Great way to hide all your shill accounts. What a dirtbag.

I cannot understand why eBay even allows private auctions/feedback. It is as though they encourage shill bidding.

You gotta' love that he has now hidden his feedback and the majority of his auctions are now private. Great way to hide all your shill accounts. What a dirtbag.

I cannot understand why eBay even allows private auctions/feedback. It is as though they encourage shill bidding.

They get paid from his won auctions, don't they?

:(

-slym

I have only one PGX book, also from 2006, and I agree with the grade of 8.5 on that one (based on what I can see through the slab). I have no idea how good they were at detecting restoration back then.

Catman30A.jpg

It certainly looks like an easy 8.5 to me. They used to have a reputation of frequently grading more tightly than CGC in the upper grades and more loosely in the lower grades, with the big caveat that they were not only incapable of spotting all but the most obvious restoration, but worse, at times would deliberately ignore and even facilitate it.

I would certainly stay away from any PGX slab for a higher dollar book, where the possibility of shenanigans is great, but wouldn't pass up a cheaper book just because it's in a PGX slab. You do have to look at the book and label carefully if it's low grade though, ebay is full of Golden Age PGX 3.0s that would be a 1.8 at best by any reasonable standard.

The one thing that concerns me is that the sheet of microchamber paper looks like it might be smaller than what CGC uses. (I hope they used two sheets and not just one!)

They get paid from his won auctions, don't they?

:(

-slym

I do believe you have explained it well and completely....

I

The one thing that concerns me is that the sheet of microchamber paper looks like it might be smaller than what CGC uses. (I hope they used two sheets and not just one!)

I've unslabbed many a book, including PGX books. Their sheets of microchamber paper are a little smaller. They also typically put them inside the first wrap, rather than inside the cover. They do use two sheets.

I have no idea if the slightly smaller size makes any difference or not. The purpose of microchamber paper is to absorb gasses released as the paper ages. Logic suggests a smaller size might not be effective for as long a period of time. But then how long microchamber paper is good for is a grey area that is much debated.

Edited by Tony S

I

I've unslabbed many a book, including PGX books. Their sheets of microchamber paper are a little smaller. They also typically put them inside the first wrap, rather than inside the cover. They do use two sheets.

I have no idea if the slightly smaller size makes any difference or not. The purpose of microchamber paper is to absorb gasses released as the paper ages. Logic suggests a smaller size might not be effective for as long a period of time. But then how long microchamber paper is good for is a grey area that is much debated.

(thumbs u

every dealer with a booth should just have his picture up at every con,

with what ever little note they want, just to let this scum know he aint welcome round these parts....

Good Luck. The pictures of Ryan Elliot that have been posted up of him supposedly buying books look nothing like his Facebook page pictures. Neither do the pictures look like Brady Gaylor (DJBrady4u)

I assume that some people posting know one or both of them. But the pictures posted of book purchases look like neither of them. The pictures I've seen posted up of the book purchases are either to far away or the picture some heavy, bearded guy.

with what ever little note they want, just to let this scum know he aint welcome round these parts....

Good Luck. The pictures of Ryan Elliot that have been posted up of him supposedly buying books look nothing like his Facebook page pictures. Neither do the pictures look like Brady Gaylor (DJBrady4u)

I assume that some people posting know one or both of them. But the pictures posted of book purchases look like neither of them. The pictures I've seen posted up of the book purchases are either to far away or the picture some heavy, bearded guy.

Maybe it's a disguise?

Maybe it's a disguise?

The thought crossed my mind. (:

I remember when PGX first came out around the time CGC started to do their work and right away you can see some of the books being sold under PGX were of lesser quality for the grade assigned.

Also, the company really didn't have a specific address listed from what I recall where your books could be sent to an office address so this was a red flag. Ever since the first graded books came out I knew not to deal with them. I'm still surprised people buy their books or send their books in to them for grading.

I'm sorry my information came through a referral.

Jeff got my thank you.

I told him to call you after I told him.

You're welcome. Deal with it.

You are both welcome. I don't let too many people into my inner circle.