• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JSCampbell Gen 13 art really hot now?

16 posts in this topic

I saw some auctions that just ended on comic link for some JS Campbell art, and I was surprised how high the bidding got, especially on a Gen 13 piece. Is JS campbell Gen 13 art hot now? I ask because I have two Gen 13 pieces by him (and Garner), one of which is a double-page splash from the mini-series.

The Gen13 Burnout splash, if that's what you are thinking of, did not meet reserve, so the final bid amount means nothing.

JSCampbell art is definitely in high demand, though I would guess that between killer Gen13 art and killer Danger Girl art, there would be more demand for the Danger Girl art.

Scott

I thought it was always hot?

Well, when I bought that double-page splash, roughly 10 years go, it didn't seem to be all that hot. Those pencil sketches that did sell in that comic link auction sold for well more than double what I paid for the double-page splash.

I actively searched for JSC art for most of 2012 and 2013 - his work is definitely hot among the lower price range ($600-$2500) I can't speak of anything beyond that. I sold my JSC pieces with very little effort. I'll agree with Scott that it's in high demand, even in the lower decks.

That high demand also might skew valuations and expectations, too. I recall a particular splash page from his first work on Stormwatch (I believe) - great page that the seller started at around $2500, then within a few months it eventually creeped down to $1000-$1200 and I think it sold there. I wanted to buy this piece when it hit the $1200 range, but there was some sort of weird mistake/error with the girl's nose that I kept focusing on, and I knew I had to pass on it.

Yeah, Campbell's stuff moves pretty well across the board. With the Gen 13 stuff, if it has Fairchild, Rainmaker and/or Freefall included, there'll be a good demand for it. Panel pages without one of these characters may sit a while for the right buyer. A splash (much less a double-page splash) from the mini-series would generate good interest.

I was watching that Burnout piece in the CLink auction until the last couple of days when the reserve became apparent - nice piece, just not that nice.

I wanted to buy this piece when it hit the $1200 range, but there was some sort of weird mistake/error with the girl's nose that I kept focusing on, and I knew I had to pass on it.

I absolutely hate it when that happens on an otherwise awesome piece of art. Totally thought of Seinfeld when I read your post, Balls. :)

The page in question is a "full team" shot, so everyone is there. I guess technically it might not be a double-page splash, but merely a double-page spread? It is a total of four panels, but one of them is large and extends onto the second page.

Cousin Itt graciously shared this piece with me via PM, so I took the liberty of stitching the art together for him - I can't resist a cool JSC piece of OA:

JSC_DPS3.jpg

Is older J Scott Campbell like older Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri (1st X-Men run) and Todd McFarlane (Infinity Inc) where the newer material commands higher value as the earlier work is seen as more "developmental" and early stages of greatness, but not yet masterpieces?

Or, does older work actually command a higher value because it's seen as a artistic type renaissance that will never be returned to as their styles have evolved, but still appreciated?

His work is continually impressive.

Is older J Scott Campbell like older Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri (1st X-Men run) and Todd McFarlane (Infinity Inc) where the newer material commands higher value as the earlier work is seen as more "developmental" and early stages of greatness, but not yet masterpieces?

Or, does older work actually command a higher value because it's seen as a artistic type renaissance that will never be returned to as their styles have evolved, but still appreciated?

His work is continually impressive.

For me, and the pieces I was looking at, JSC's earlier stuff seemed to be less expensive. The few newer pieces I saw seemed to be disproportionally more expensive than his earlier work - but again - I was looking at pretty low tier stuff. I hope someone who is more familiar with the higher end stuff can chime in.

Collectdestination is a really big JSC fan and he's got a couple bigger pieces of his, I think.

The earlier pieces are less expensive typically from what I've seen too. I would say it has a lot to do with the fact the work he does now is just that much better than back then.

I agree. His girly stuff now is really great. Personally, I really liked his sequential art on his pages - but he's definitely more fluid now.