• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Action 252...Think it will cross?

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Just bought an Action #252. I think it's nice, but its in a PGX slab.

What do you think it would grade if I sent it to CGC? Would the grade hold up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-252-May-1959-DC-GRADED-PGX-4-5-VG-Superman-/271329563327?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=L5LLM75FNVo9zaTChzow1nGaGVQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

FWIW, PGX does get it right sometimes, so just give me an honest assessment without letting your feelings for the different companies bias you. :)

Thanks all,

Steve

I'm constantly being surprised by scores in this place.

I honestly believe it's a 4.0/4.5. The crease on the back cover can be pressed out but it looks like it breaks color. this is a defect (because of the size of it). I cannot imagine CGC awarding a 5.0 or 5.5 for this book with that crease and the spine on this book. That being said, I'm no one to grade a book, so maybe this book is one of those lenient ones that CGC isn't as harsh on and everyone else is on to something.

Still a great book and you will definitely not lose money in the long term. That is a guarantee.

Wonderful pick up. If you do submit, please let us know what score it gets.

I honestly believe it's a 4.0/4.5. The crease on the back cover can be pressed out but it looks like it breaks color. this is a defect (because of the size of it). I cannot imagine CGC awarding a 5.0 or 5.5 for this book with that crease and the spine on this book. That being said, I'm no one to grade a book, so maybe this book is one of those lenient ones that CGC isn't as harsh on and everyone else is on to something.

Still a great book and you will definitely not lose money in the long term. That is a guarantee.

This.

The book appears to have a fair amount of dimpling and rub on the front. Some of the dimpling might press out, but not the visual wear. It's tougher to grade from photos than a scan, but the book still looks in 4.0 territory, no worse than 3.5. Given some the gift grades I've seen posted recently, now might be a good time to send it to CGC, where with a press it might end up as a 4.5/5.0. It's a crapshoot.

On the plus side it appears to have been submitted by the seller, who resides on the opposite end of the country from Oregon, so you probably don't have to worry about deliberate overgrading, though with PGX it does seem the lower the grade they assign, the more likely it is to appear overgraded.

The book appears to have a fair amount of dimpling and rub on the front. Some of the dimpling might press out, but not the visual wear. It's tougher to grade from photos than a scan, but the book still looks in 4.0 territory, no worse than 3.5. Given some the gift grades I've seen posted recently, now might be a good time to send it to CGC, where with a press it might end up as a 4.5/5.0. It's a crapshoot.

On the plus side it appears to have been submitted by the seller, who resides on the opposite end of the country from Oregon, so you probably don't have to worry about deliberate overgrading, though with PGX it does seem the lower the grade they assign, the more likely it is to appear overgraded.

Agreed with the recently CGC grades, definitely a time to submit, may be they are trying to push out books for the holiday. I submitted 17 modern books (regular tier back in Sept), don't expect any of them getting 9.8 and I got 4 at 9.8, the breaking color crease(S) on the 9.8 can be seen without getting a closer look.

For the same reasons I believe that 4.5 is an honest grade! smiley-gen130.gif

I've looked at the picture over and over again and again...this is all predicated on a press doing a bit of correcting to the spine roll and the back crease, etc...I think it could go 5.0 or even possibly a 5.5. I don't think the spine is in that bad of condition from Supe's elbow on up and I hear what you're saying about the crease on the back, but it's the back cover. I recently submitted a book that had a small piece missing from the front cover, a piece missing from the back cover, a jacked up spine and it was popped at one staple. It scored a 4.0. This books looks to be in the same area of another book that I submitted that scored a 5.5, but that book had more linear color breaks on the FC and it was pulled at both staples.This book looks a bit nicer.

But what do I know... the only thing I know for certain is that I am consistently wrong when it comes to grading. I guess high, I get a low grade, I guess low, I get a high grade. So I guess if you follow that track record...this book is a 4.0.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Now I can tip my hand, and say what I think. I think it should be a 4.5...it's like a straight VG that got a 0.5 bump because of the page quality. The bump was deserved...the interior is nice.

I bought it for my 8 year old daughter for her college fund because the banks aren't paying anything and the stock market is so high it scares me. Thought I'd take a gamble on what I know. If they announce a Supergirl movie next month, and it pops, I'll definitely press it and cross it. But if not, then I don't think I want to press it. History hasn't been kind to altered books in the long term. So the only question remaining is whether it is worth crossing now, without pressing.

Thanks again for the feedback.