• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Connect Auction

136 posts in this topic

nice books everybody---i'm having a shutout thrown at me so far. i haven't even gone deep into the count on any book. i'm tending to pop out on the first pitch. i'm balking at some of these prices. i'm behind the curve on this auction. i'm...aw, hell, y'all get the point.

What have you been going after? I've felt prices have been more reserved than the past few auctions.

When I bought the cover, it was, at the time the most expensive collectible I'd purchased. It was literally me thinking, this is the down payment for my first home, or buy the art. At the end of the day I said to myself, "Self, you can always save more money to buy a house but how often will you get a chance to own a Frazetta Famous Funnies" and that cinched.

Golddust- In regards to this auction, sometimes you over-pay for a piece you really want. I've done it a thousand times and I've never been disappointed looking back on it because I really wanted that piece. Also, consider that we don't charge a buyer's premium like some other auction houses. Maybe that will soften the blow.

Good luck to the rest of you tonight and tomorrow night!

V

When I bought the cover, it was, at the time the most expensive collectible I'd purchased. It was literally me thinking, this is the down payment for my first home, or buy the art. At the end of the day I said to myself, "Self, you can always save more money to buy a house but how often will you get a chance to own a Frazetta Famous Funnies" and that cinched.

V

Gorgeous art, Vince.

I'd love to see that awesome Frazetta cover close-up while next time I'm visiting the offices in NY, if possible.

-Cat cute-cat-waving-goodbye-smiley-emoticon.gif

V

Gorgeous art, Vince.

I'd love to see that awesome Frazetta cover close-up while next time I'm visiting the offices in NY, if possible.

-Cat cute-cat-waving-goodbye-smiley-emoticon.gif

..... my friend Lewis went up recently and and was allowed to photograph a lot of the art..... there's a link in the SA Forum but it would be quite a few pages back by now. They have art EVERYWHERE........ some exceptional stuff is in the bathroom ..... first Watcher splash I think...... "watching" lol .... I didn't realize it was you, Vince, who bought the Famous Funnies.... thought that was Steve. What a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

nice books everybody---i'm having a shutout thrown at me so far. i haven't even gone deep into the count on any book. i'm tending to pop out on the first pitch. i'm balking at some of these prices. i'm behind the curve on this auction. i'm...aw, hell, y'all get the point.

What have you been going after? I've felt prices have been more reserved than the past few auctions.

Haven't bought any Gold yet, but I've managed to score a couple of nice SA books at or new multi-year GPA lows. I don't think being at the end of the three auction cycle has helped prices for the CC auction this time around, which is fine with me, because I think the SA offerings in this auction were some of the best around this time.

Actually, when I think about it, I'm going to end up buying more books from both the Heritage Signature and this CC auction then I did at the C-link auction (which is traditionally where bottomfeeders like myself do well). Go figure.

Congrats on the Famous Funnies Frazettas. I have a complete set myself. Some of my favorite covers of all time. I was also lucky to pick up the original cover art to #215.

Best,

Vincent

Thanks. What a wonderful piece of art that is!

It makes me happy every time I look at it. It was a tough decision to pull the trigger on but I never look back with regret. When I first got out of college and started to hit the convention circuit I did a Great Eastern Convention. On the friday night of the con I went out to Long Island with Mike Carbonaro to an old guy's house. He had a lot of really nice comics. We bought a complete set of the Famous Funnies, ranging from VF+ to NM. They were stunning. I could barely appreciate who Frazetta was at this time in my career but I knew I absolutely loved these covers. The set cost us $1800 and the next day at the con we sold them to high roller Steve Borock for $2500. This was back in 1993. I remember being sad when we sold them and thinking to myself that I will probably never see another high grade set again. Wow.

V

it does and it even has art under the logo. Here is a link to the image-

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=350727&GSub=54849

That's beautiful Vinnie! :applause:

That's a great piece of comic history in addition to a spectacular piece of art. I haven't even been able to get decent copy of the comic!

It does seem to be one of the tougher ones. Not even sure there is a true high grade on the census?

It makes me happy every time I look at it. It was a tough decision to pull the trigger on but I never look back with regret. When I first got out of college and started to hit the convention circuit I did a Great Eastern Convention. On the friday night of the con I went out to Long Island with Mike Carbonaro to an old guy's house. He had a lot of really nice comics. We bought a complete set of the Famous Funnies, ranging from VF+ to NM. They were stunning. I could barely appreciate who Frazetta was at this time in my career but I knew I absolutely loved these covers. The set cost us $1800 and the next day at the con we sold them to high roller Steve Borock for $2500. This was back in 1993. I remember being sad when we sold them and thinking to myself that I will probably never see another high grade set again. Wow.

V

That's the kind of story we like to hear - you should write a book.

V

..... have you done Borock on ComicZone yet ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

V

That's the kind of story we like to hear - you should write a book.

You should publish it on 12-18-13 and title it, "JOACBC: Journey of a Comic Book...", forget it, never mind. That's just too easy.

It's no Captain America #1, but I did manage to pick up my first comic from comicconnect after putting in bids for the last three years.

ame3.170a.jpg

That's a beauty, Tim! Another nice Schomburg to add to your pile. (thumbs u

front looks more like an 8.0