• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those Imbeciles on "Pawn Stars" Last Night

91 posts in this topic

Hey guys just thought you should know: according to Corey and his "expert" on Pawn Stars last night, the entire comic book market is in the toilet and a 5.0 AF15 is worth $6000.

Ironically I recently called them asking how much they were asking for what looked like a 4.0 ASM 1 I saw on the show once and the rep said it was a firm $12k. So either the show is completely fake or these d bags have no idea what they're talking about.

-J.

You mean, a pawn shop owner tried to downplay the value of the item offered for sale, in order to buy it for a super low price that would give them maximum profit when they sell it in the future??? :o

Nooooooooo! This is madness!!! :pullhair:

Right but it wasn't Corey it was the fat toy store guy who is apparently also an expert in comic books that gave it a value of "$6k". Corey actually went up to $7k. The seller wanted 16 but came down to 10 and seemed legitimately befuddled why they were offering that amount of money while also declaring that comics aren't worth anything anymore. Ridiculous show. I only watched it because I saw the AF15 in the preview. Then it took them half the show to get to it.

-J.

I saw that same thing....I had a good :roflmao: but at the same time thought these guys are taking :screwy: pills lol

I've said this before Gino, but I basically love everything in your sig line. I want it all. Please box it up and ship it to me. 'kay Thanks!

xoxo

M

Yeah especially the Young Allies and the All Winners! Awesome books dude!

A Pawn shop is basically a place for people who need quick cash to drop off merchandise, it's kind of like legal gambling. Sure they will gladly give you low ball offers if you want to sell, but their real money comes from someone taking a small loan with interest against the value of the merchandise and if the customer does not pay back the loan in time, then they own it. I have never sold anything to one myself, but know many people who did in the past.

All very true. I'm not doubting the legitimacy of the pawn shop industry just the fakeness of this "reality show" where these characters who purport to know about all manner of random artifacts but completely blew it with their analysis of the AF 15 and were just so thoroughly wrong in their generalizations about the overall state of the hobby. Such ridiculous conclusions can deter new collectors from coming into the hobby and because it's on a show with a relatively large audience by cable standards anyway that can also hurt the hobby. And the way they so cavalierly did it really aggravated me frankly. Hello dummies in case you haven't noticed comic books have influenced virtually if not all facets of pop culture for almost the last 100 years, now more than ever.

However as a foot note one does have to wonder about the seller on the show. It's not like ebay is a secret and he deliberately waited for the show to air to list the comic. Really does just make the whole thing seem like BS.

-J.

I stopped watching this show a long time ago - not only is it staged as all these types of shows are but they are just annoying.

100% staged

There is a first season episode which is horribly bad. Guy comes in with Coke machine with bullet holes and sells it to the Pawn Shop. Pawn Shop takes it to Rick Dale to restore. The restored machine he gives back to Rick isn't even the same model of Coke machine - so it was never restored. What makes matters so much worse is who the person is who supposedly sold the coke machine with bullet holes to the shop. He is Rick Dale's brother who is on every episode of Rick Dale's American Restorations so reality show.

Was watching an episode last week and it showed a customer walking out the door and guess what was on the outside of the door? A 'we are closed' sign. So even the customers that are in the background of the shop looking at merchandise are actors.

I saw that same thing....I had a good :roflmao: but at the same time thought these guys are taking :screwy: pills lol

I've said this before Gino, but I basically love everything in your sig line. I want it all. Please box it up and ship it to me. 'kay Thanks!

xoxo

M

:hi: thanks Michael!!!!!! hope u are enjoying the XM#4 bro!!!!! if I ever decide to sell I will most definitely keep you in mind!!!!! Happy Holidays to you and your family!!!! (thumbs u

I DVR'ed the episode and ff to AF15. I figured 10-12k would be his buy price so he could make money off it. Then he started to make comments about how comics have taken a dump etc etc. Last time I looked, AF15 was a 45-degree line going straight up in price defying gravity. The book does look rough in the photos.

Here is another question. WHY would someone with an active EBay account of nearly 1000 feedbacks (or his brother) be going to this Pawn Shop to sell his comic, which to me means it was never really for sale to them, just a staged appearance with a WOW book. This guy could have entered AF15 on EBay at any time and knew the price and could have quoted dozens of past sales of it.

Can we a few of our own heavy hitters with let's say a TOS39 in 9.6 to walk in there and have them tell everyone how comics have taken a dump and it's only worth $15k.

The AF 15 episode, bad as it was, still wasn't as much a joke as when a guy walked into the store with an original McFarlane ASM page featuring Spidey vs Venom, and Corey asked the seller for a Certificate of Authenticity before offering an incredibly lowball offer.