• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

6,299 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2024 at 11:03 PM, LadyDeath said:

Never realized how often he did it, but Cole really was the king of floating heads. lol

He did a TON!!!!!

FYI:  As I mentioned I had some time today, so I gave the chronological thing a shot and got publishing dates for just about every Cole book I know of.  I still have to do Sport Thrills (AP reprints muddy the waters) and the Classics Illustrated.  At a later date I will add the pulps to it but I also want to add a few of the miscellaneous items like the Dandy Crosswords and 101 Games books.  However it also has any interior work as well as covers.  I'm sure it'll still be forgetting some things so I'll be counting on you all to call me out! 

I want to find a fun way to display the data before I share so hang tight.  :popcorn: 

On 8/14/2024 at 11:16 PM, pmpknface said:

He did a TON!!!!!

FYI:  As I mentioned I had some time today, so I gave the chronological thing a shot and got publishing dates for just about every Cole book I know of.  I still have to do Sport Thrills (AP reprints muddy the waters) and the Classics Illustrated.  At a later date I will add the pulps to it but I also want to add a few of the miscellaneous items like the Dandy Crosswords and 101 Games books.  However it also has any interior work as well as covers.  I'm sure it'll still be forgetting some things so I'll be counting on you all to call me out! 

I want to find a fun way to display the data before I share so hang tight.  :popcorn: 

I'm a Cole amateur but I'll do some digging too. Eager to see his early books. Was just looking at another 1944 (was this his first year?) cover, Dime Comics #1.

On 8/15/2024 at 1:37 PM, pmpknface said:

He totally killed it in '53!  

Chart 1:  Total issues and unique titles
Chart 2:  Cover counts only
Chart 3:  Titles worked on (interior or cover) most

Any questions?  :)

Amazing breakdown. I noticed too a lot of covers were from 1952/3 - guy was essentially a one man wrecking crew after he started Star Publications.

On 8/16/2024 at 10:02 AM, pmpknface said:

It's been posted before, but when you got a 9.6 you post it whenever you want!  (thumbsu  I picked one up in nice shape a few weeks ago.  In going through my stack of books I found that I already had one!  I'll add it to the pile of LB Cole doubles I still have.  Also, his Dick Tracy cover was a close 2nd last in 9/1991. 

I've been neck deep into Cole's publication dates the last few days.  This is waaaaaaaaaaaay too busy, but it does get the point across.  Books by year published, each book a different color:

image.thumb.png.0a5fc9812494c18a7e007bedfa4f47ed.png

It's also why I've since combined anything from 1971+ into 1 category.  On top of that I made decade categories to show things differently. 

I was thinking of coming up with categories (romance, sci-fi / horror, western, etc...) but some I'm not sure on.  Would Target Western Romances be western or romance?  HELP!!!

Wow, exemplary work!

On 8/16/2024 at 9:02 AM, pmpknface said:

It's been posted before, but when you got a 9.6 you post it whenever you want!  (thumbsu  I picked one up in nice shape a few weeks ago.  In going through my stack of books I found that I already had one!  I'll add it to the pile of LB Cole doubles I still have.  Also, his Dick Tracy cover was a close 2nd last in 9/1991. 

I've been neck deep into Cole's publication dates the last few days.  This is waaaaaaaaaaaay too busy, but it does get the point across.  Books by year published, each book a different color:

It's also why I've since combined anything from 1971+ into 1 category.  On top of that I made decade categories to show things differently. 

I was thinking of coming up with categories (romance, sci-fi / horror, western, etc...) but some I'm not sure on.  Would Target Western Romances be western or romance?  HELP!!!

Ha! Action scene on the cover means Western.  Lovey dovey scene means Romance :foryou:

Or at least that's how I decide the cover genre on pulps...

On 8/16/2024 at 6:18 PM, Darwination said:

Ha! Action scene on the cover means Western.  Lovey dovey scene means Romance :foryou:

Or at least that's how I decide the cover genre on pulps...

That's not bad...   I was thinking of doing a primary and secondary category.  While I'm at it, I might as well go nuts.  :kidaround:    I have played with a few other things.  If nothing else, it's helping me learn how to do stuff I hadn't had the opportunity to do before so I'm learning!  Added this image to a slide:

image.thumb.png.8de282a7fc43d573076fa330fac2d4df.png

On 8/16/2024 at 9:02 AM, pmpknface said:

Nothing like going into a comic book thread and seeing stacked barcharts.  Juicy goodness. lol. :)

On 8/16/2024 at 6:52 PM, Telegan said:

Nothing like going into a comic book thread and seeing stacked barcharts.  Juicy goodness. lol. :)

I raise the bar, with a BUBBLE chart!  I love these.  Some people hate them.  

Oh, and I pretty much went with the lovey = romance suggestion above.  Some titles were a toss up, but I think it works.  I hovered over the Sci-fi category.  Think I missed any?

image.thumb.png.e4a87a8b7c89df24ee445c2ad01b21b6.png