• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

6,300 posts in this topic

I was going through my Classics Illustrtated Juniors  the other day

I thought I had the full set , but in putting it together I found I was missing 9 of the 77

When entering those on MCS want list  I noticed a few of them  had covers by L B Cole  which surprised me as I had always thought of his art as not being intended for children

I  noticed this thread  and started looking.around, even more surprised that he had done 25 books for Gilberton.

It was easy to research the Jumiors on MCS  I found that he did  11 issues there 558-568.   I don't think the reprints ever changed the art.

A bit harder to find which issues from the main title he was involved with

On 9/8/2024 at 7:32 PM, jmg3637 said:

I was going through my Classics Illustrtated Juniors  the other day

I thought I had the full set , but in putting it together I found I was missing 9 of the 77

When entering those on MCS want list  I noticed a few of them  had covers by L B Cole  which surprised me as I had always thought of his art as not being intended for children

I  noticed this thread  and started looking.around, even more surprised that he had done 25 books for Gilberton.

It was easy to research the Jumiors on MCS  I found that he did  11 issues there 558-568.   I don't think the reprints ever changed the art.

A bit harder to find which issues from the main title he was involved with

I'm discovering this now. I just picked up a handful of them, still need a few.  The numbering of these drives me nuts! Darn HRN #'s.... 

On 9/9/2024 at 2:34 PM, pmpknface said:

Just got a BIG box from CGC back - WOW did they upgrade the bubble wrap!  The box was HUGE!!!  In any case, I'll have to take an early break from my scheduled programming as another package also arrived this morning.  Also, posting early as I'm headed to Fenway tonight for 1 more game this year.  

This one closes out my run on Cole's Catman covers with the odd duck out.  Sometimes #26b, labeled by CGC as V3 #2, or by others just "nn." The Catman publishing was all over the place and for good reason (but that's another conversation).  Today we're here to punch random heads right in the face, including Satan himself!  Here's Catman V3 #2!!!  (thanks to @Noble Nostalgia aka Nikelspot!)  

Catman_V2_NNa.jpg

This is a beauty an looks better than 6.0

Normally when they redid the covers to Classics  the versions were significantly different.  No so with issue 152  at first glance I could not tell a difference

The first issue is from the First printing.  The second is from the 4th printing with an HRN of 169 and is by Cole

CI152HRN152.jpg

CI152HRN169.jpg

On 9/10/2024 at 2:07 AM, jmg3637 said:

Normally when they redid the covers to Classics  the versions were significantly different.  No so with issue 152  at first glance I could not tell a difference

The first issue is from the First printing.  The second is from the 4th printing with an HRN of 169 and is by Cole

CI152HRN152.jpg

CI152HRN169.jpg

From what I've seen, and I'm no expert on the CI issues, but the later printings seem brighter.  I don't know if that's true of all issues but it seems more prominent with that red part of the cover.