• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Direct and Star in Neil Gaiman's Sandman

84 posts in this topic

Don't bother! Nothing will ever surpass Wes Craven's Swamp Thing! Greatest Movie EVER!!!

Ha, Ha. Wes Craven made some cult classic horror films (Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes and Nightmare on Elm Street come immediately to mind) Swamp Thing doesn't quite measure up. I remember seeing it at the Drive In.

The movie actually starts off well enough, not withstanding Swamp Thing never looks like anything but a guy in some sort of rubber suit. But after a reasonably decent movie for the first hour or so, it all goes to at the end.

However, the movie does have Adrienne Barbeau in it. :cloud9: Which makes up for a lot.

I've never read a single issue. Now that we are years removed from the book does the title still hold up and is it worth reading?

It does. I've read the entire series again recently and it still reads extremely well. I will admit its not for everyone, so if you like your books full of long underwear types, this may not be the series for you.

Here's my collection of first printings of the original hardcover collected editions and other related graphic novels. Much rarer than the comics:

sandman1.JPG

My display with the super super rare Sandman bookends and miniature sculptures:

sandman2.JPG

LOVE this series.

Here's my collection of first printings of the original hardcover collected editions and other related graphic novels. Much rarer than the comics:

sandman1.JPG

sandman2.JPG

LOVE this series.

I've always found the Collected Editions market pretty disintrested in the 1st printing thing. Is this not the case with the Sandman books?

Seems to me its all about the in print vs out of print.

I've always found the Collected Editions market pretty disintrested in the 1st printing thing. Is this not the case with the Sandman books?

Seems to me its all about the in print vs out of print.

Not all that interested in the market value. For me, the first editions of the collected books seemed like the way to go since they looked nicer on the shelf with the bookends and were harder to track down than the comics.

sandman1.JPG

sandman2.JPG

LOVE this series.

LOVE the Bosch!

sandman1.JPG

sandman2.JPG

LOVE this series.

LOVE the Bosch!

“The Garden of Earthly Delights”

:cloud9:

When Neil Gaiman first visited my country in 2005, he signed for 3 days! Guess how many days I went to see him?

Too bad CGC didn't have a witness to give fans who had comics signed some certification. That was why I had doubts whether to get Sandman 1 signed. I did anyway, including the 2nd copy which had a torn spine. :eek: The other comics I had signed were less notable but all Sandman-related.

He went back 2 more times but his sponsor during all 3 visits, the book shop Fullybooked, required purchase of his book during the last 2 visits unlike the first time when no purchase was required at all. That was why I didn't bother during the latter signings. :(

I created a page about that occasion. He really impressed me with his intelligence. If anyone wants to read why I thought so, here's the link:

http://tremulous.tripod.com/gaiman.html

When Neil Gaiman first visited my country in 2005, he signed for 3 days! Guess how many days I went to see him?

Too bad CGC didn't have a witness to give fans who had comics signed some certification. That was why I had doubts whether to get Sandman 1 signed. I did anyway, including the 2nd copy which had a torn spine. :eek: The other comics I had signed were less notable but all Sandman-related.

He went back 2 more times but his sponsor during all 3 visits, the book shop Fullybooked, required purchase of his book during the last 2 visits unlike the first time when no purchase was required at all. That was why I didn't bother during the latter signings. :(

I created a page about that occasion. He really impressed me with his intelligence. If anyone wants to read why I thought so, here's the link:

http://tremulous.tripod.com/gaiman.html

Thanks for sharing your story and WTTB!

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Updates On SANDMAN

-------------------

"Right now we're working on a -script. It's me and Goyer and the screenwriter [Jack Thorne] and Neil Gaiman, as well as the good folks at DC and Warner Bros. It's a really cool team of people. It's a lot of the same people who worked on the Nolan "Batman" movies. It's really exciting. There's not a -script yet, we're still kind of working it out because it's such a complicated adaptation because "Sandman" wasn't written as novels. "Sin City" was written as a novel. "Sandman" is 75 episodic issues. There's a reason people have been trying and failing to adapt "Sandman" for the past 20 years."

-------------------

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Updates On SANDMAN

-------------------

"Right now we're working on a -script. It's me and Goyer and the screenwriter [Jack Thorne] and Neil Gaiman, as well as the good folks at DC and Warner Bros. It's a really cool team of people. It's a lot of the same people who worked on the Nolan "Batman" movies. It's really exciting. There's not a -script yet, we're still kind of working it out because it's such a complicated adaptation because "Sandman" wasn't written as novels. "Sin City" was written as a novel. "Sandman" is 75 episodic issues. There's a reason people have been trying and failing to adapt "Sandman" for the past 20 years."

-------------------

Sounds like it`s going to be made, but it won`t be for a few years.

Sounds like they're just as stumped as everyone else who tried to adapt it lol

All of these finite, mature readers series (Y, Preacher, etc.) are better suited for TV. There's just not enough screen time in a movie to do the source material any kind of justice.

Neil Gaiman Wanted Benedict Cumberbatch For SANDMAN; Now Likes Tom Hiddleston For Role

---------------

"There was a time Johnny Depp would've been a great Morpheus, but now he's too old and it's fine. I think the first time I saw Benedict [Cumberbatch] was as Sherlock Holmes, I thought, 'wow, that's incredibly Morpheus.' Tom Hiddleston is still out there, and the truth is, as far as I'm concerned, anybody who sounds English with great cheekbones can probably pull it off. With Joseph Gordon-Levitt in charge, his instincts are good and he loves the material. He wants it to be true to the material.

[T]hey've written a -script. I got a phone call about two, three weeks ago from Joe and David [s. Goyer] saying, 'Jack did a -script, we read it, we want some things done to it. We want you to see it, but not this version. The next version will be in three weeks and then you'll be the first person to see it.' So I am now a week before seeing the -script. It's going to come in just before Christmas. I'm nervous, I'm on tenterhooks. But do I have good feelings? Yeah I do."

---------------

:wishluck: