• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Direct and Star in Neil Gaiman's Sandman

84 posts in this topic

There may be something to this news. Another site is quoting David Goyer on near-term production.

‘Sandman’ Movie Cast And Updates: Tom Hiddleston To Play ‘Dream’; Producer David Goyer Suggests Filming This 2016

"We're just about to do a new draft," said Goyer from the outlet. "All of the Vertigo properties ported over to New Line a few months ago. There was a decision from the higher-ups that New Line would focus on the Vertigo properties and Warner Bros would focus on the DC properties. So we're just starting a re-write with a really fantastic writer that fans of your site will enjoy that's coming aboard, but I can't quite announce it yet."

While the filming of "Sandman" is speculated this 2016, Moviepilot cascaded the idea on who can play the role of Dream, Destiny, Death, Destruction, Desire, Despair and Delirium. Starting of with the character Dream, the site chose Tom Hiddleston to play the main protagonist in the comics series. Apart from Hiddleston, Michael Fassbender is mentioned to be a good choice for the role of Destiny while "Deadpool's" Brianna Hildebrand is eyed for the role of Death.

Horror writer Eric Heisserer has been tapped to pen Sandman, New Line’s adaptation of the acclaimed DC/Vertigo comic book that has Joseph Gordon-Levitt on board as director and star.

David Goyer wrote the treatment and a search was conducted to ensnare a scribe to tackle the ambitious translation in what New Line hopes will be a trilogy.

Heisserer established horror movie credentials with remakes of A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Thing as well as working on Final Destination 5.

He has two horror thrillers awaiting release from New Line: The Conjuring 2, whose -script he worked on, and Lights Out, which he wrote and co-produced. The latter opens July 22.

So they are planning on making this a series of movies if all goes well.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt announced on his facebook page this morning that he's pulling out of the Sandman movie.

"RE: SANDMAN

So, as you might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, a while back, David Goyer and I made a producing deal with Warner Brothers to develop a movie adaptation of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN. Neil himself came on as an executive producer, we hired the excellent screenwriter, Jack Thorne, and we started in on the ambitious task of adapting one of the most beloved and boundary-pushing titles in the world of comics. I was pleased with the progress we were making, even though we still had quite a ways to go.

Recently, as you also might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, the sorta "ownership" (for lack of a better term) of the Sandman material changed hands when Warner Brothers shifted the entire catalogue of Vertigo comics (an imprint of DC) to their subsidiary, New Line. And a few months ago, I came to realize that the folks at New Line and I just don't see eye to eye on what makes Sandman special, and what a film adaptation could/should be. So unfortunately, I decided to remove myself from the project. I wish nothing but the best for the team moving forward.

I'd like to thank all the great people I've had the opportunity to work with on this one. I've had a blast with and learned a ton from David and Jack. Niija Kuykendall, Greg Silverman, and everyone at Warner Brothers have been fantastic, as have Geoff Johns and everyone at DC. And it's been a particular privilege as well as a rocking good time getting to know Mr. Gaiman, whose generous insights and masterful work have certainly convinced me that the Lord of Dreams and the Prince of Stories are one and the same Endless pattern."

This could be a good thing, as painful as it may be to experience such creative transition.

A few months back Joseph Gordon-Levitt did an interview, and noted what a difficult time they were having adapting Sandman into a movie. This could be a pleasant way of bowing out of the production because he wasn't getting over that hump to figure out the right path.

I don't see this is as a good thing at all.

JGL straight out says that he and New Line couldn't see eye-to-eye on what makes Sandman special.

And whether that was spin or not, I think the production will have a hard time finding with the star power and (as I see it) fit of JGL for the project.

I don't see this is as a good thing at all.

JGL straight out says that he and New Line couldn't see eye-to-eye on what makes Sandman special.

And whether that was spin or not, I think the production will have a hard time finding with the star power and (as I see it) fit of JGL for the project.

It's difficult to tell right now what the differences truly were. It could have even been JGL pitching that he is the perfect actor for the role. New Line may have come back with Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch as examples what they envisioned (which Gaiman had recommended fitting his vision).

I'm just hoping with all this right-sizing going on around DC/Warner with its TV and movie productions, the same effort goes into New Line's Vertigo projects.

Neil Gaiman Discusses Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Decision To Walk Away From SANDMAN

Neil Gaiman has made a few statements concerning Levitt's decision and answered a few fan questions.

Said Gaiman, "And, for the record, my respect for [Joseph Gordon-Levitt], is undiminished. Getting to know him was the best bit of the last round. He's special."

Gaiman echoed Levitt's previous sentiment that he hopes that the two of them can find a way to work together on another project. Perhaps he'll star in another one of Gaiman's numerous comics or novels.

"I very much hope [we work together on something else]. I would love to work with [Joe] some more. He's smart, honest & really nice."

I gave up on this a while back.

SANDMAN: Another Screenwriter Leaves the Movie

Sandman's move from the pages of DC Comics to the big screen hit another roadblock today, as Eric Heisserer, the latest screenwriter on the film, has left the project. He broke the news to io9 while promoting his film Arrival. Heisserer said he left the movie because no matter how they tried to break it, the story of Sandman was more suited to a high-end television adaptation.

"I had many conversations with [sandman creator] Neil [Gaiman] on this, and I did a lot of work on the feature and came to the conclusion that the best version of this property exists as an HBO series or limited series, not as a feature film, not even as a trilogy," Heisserer said. "The structure of the feature film really doesn’t mesh with this. So I went back and said here’s the work that I’ve done. This isn’t where it should be. It needs to go to TV. So I talked myself out of a job!"

At least he did it for all the right reasons, and made it clear he wanted the work portrayed appropriately.

I gave up on this a while back.

SANDMAN: Another Screenwriter Leaves the Movie

Sandman's move from the pages of DC Comics to the big screen hit another roadblock today, as Eric Heisserer, the latest screenwriter on the film, has left the project. He broke the news to io9 while promoting his film Arrival. Heisserer said he left the movie because no matter how they tried to break it, the story of Sandman was more suited to a high-end television adaptation.

"I had many conversations with [sandman creator] Neil [Gaiman] on this, and I did a lot of work on the feature and came to the conclusion that the best version of this property exists as an HBO series or limited series, not as a feature film, not even as a trilogy," Heisserer said. "The structure of the feature film really doesn’t mesh with this. So I went back and said here’s the work that I’ve done. This isn’t where it should be. It needs to go to TV. So I talked myself out of a job!"

At least he did it for all the right reasons, and made it clear he wanted the work portrayed appropriately.

I agree with this 100%, Sandman could make an awesome TV show and a bad movie.

I feel like there's just too much story to tell, even if you split it up into 3 - 3 hour movies.