• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Direct and Star in Neil Gaiman's Sandman

84 posts in this topic

Bought Neil Gaiman's NeverWhere at a thrift shop near work today for $3. Can't wait to watch it, I hear it's good.

But, I have to catch up on my Black Friday movies I bought first. Damn you 22 Jump Street and Hercules, damn you both to hell! (:

I have Neverwhere on discs. It is definitely an odd story, but in a fun BBC production kind of way. So go into it knowing this is going to be different.

And I meant that in a positive way.

Bought Neil Gaiman's NeverWhere at a thrift shop near work today for $3. Can't wait to watch it, I hear it's good.

But, I have to catch up on my Black Friday movies I bought first. Damn you 22 Jump Street and Hercules, damn you both to hell! (:

They`re worth it, both are fun! (thumbs u

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I have Neverwhere on discs. It is definitely an odd story, but in a fun BBC production kind of way. So go into it knowing this is going to be different.

And I meant that in a positive way.

Popped Disc 1 in. Not as cinematic as I was hoping, yet interesting, but I'm gonna wait until I'm in the right mood. Kinda reminds me of the late 80's Colin Baker/Sylvester McCoy Dr. Whos. I've been too spoiled by the current BBC imports like Orphan Black, I guess.

Their worth it, both are fun! (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Here's my collection of first printings of the original hardcover collected editions and other related graphic novels. Much rarer than the comics:

sandman1.JPG

My display with the super super rare Sandman bookends and miniature sculptures:

sandman2.JPG

LOVE this series.

I purchased those bookends at NY , asked for a refund two days later and brought a Sega Saturn instead... doh! it still hurts

Joseph Gordon-Levitt On Finding Stopping Point For First SANDMAN Film

“It’s really good, man. It’s slow but steady. It’s a really complicated adaptation because those comics, they’re brilliant. But they’re not written as a whole. It’s not like ‘Watchmen,’ which is a graphic novel that has a beginning, middle, and end. ‘Sandman’ was written over the course of whatever — I forget exactly, six or seven years. One at a time. One little 20-page issue at a time. And to try to take that and make it into something that’s a feature film — a movie that has a beginning, middle, and end — is complicated.”

In comparison to other comic book movies, Levitt cautions that there won't be a lot of crimefighting or punching in the film. "Big spectacular action movies are generally about crime fighters fighting crime and blowing sh-t up. This has nothing to do with that. And it was actually one of the things that Neil Gaiman said to me, he said ‘Don’t have any punching.’ Because he never does. If you read the comics, Morpheus doesn’t punch anybody. That’s not what he does. It’s going to be like a grand spectacular action film, but that relies on none of those same old ordinary cliches. So, that’s why it’s taking a lot time to write, but it’s going to be really good."

What an odd comment. It's not like he has to tackle the whole series in the first film. Just pick a good introductory story arc and run with it.

Even the way the first issue handled Morpheus' mysterious introduction was a cool way to kick off the series. I didn't even have to know anything about any previous Kirby characters to dive right in and enjoy this amazing run.

Kick it off as a mystery, and slowly revealing the extent of Morpheus' powers and history.

What an odd comment. It's not like he has to tackle the whole series in the first film. Just pick a good introductory story arc and run with it.

Odd, but I appreciate the caution and reverence with my favorite story (thumbs u

The self-fulfilling failure of the action film is its slavery to plot -- beginning, middle, end -- protagonist/antagonist. The rare treatment abandons the rigid dialectical narrative we all believe we need so badly in favor of something else. It all began with Disney insisting on well-crafted, mustache-twisting villain leads in its cartoons.

Sounds like Sandman would be much easier to do as a TV series than a movie.

I wish them well. :wishluck:

+1

I also feel like TV Is the best way to go. You could easily go 5 seasons with it.

More From Joseph Gordon-Levitt On SANDMAN

"Each issue is 24 pages and it’s written that way. As a serial, kind of more episodic thing. If you examine it from the broad strokes, there is sort of a beginning, middle and end, but it was written in such this episodic way. It’s not like adapting a graphic novel. Like Watchmen is a book. This isn’t that, so it really takes quite a bit of creativity and ingenuity to figure out, okay, how can we take all these kind of disparate episodes and make them congeal into a movie – a feature film that’s got a beginning, middle and end."

TV show time?

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reveals Why SANDMAN Works Better As A Movie Than A TV Show

"I think a big screen adaptation is a better idea and here's why. If you did the episodic version, I think it could very well end up as a not-as-good-version of what is already brilliant in the comics. But by reworking the material into a big movie, Gaiman's brilliant characters and ideas get to take shape in a way they never have before. Also, I think Sandman deserves to look absolutely mind-blowingly awesome, just on a visual level, and as cinematic as some TV shows are becoming these days, they still can't compete with big movies visually, just because they can't afford to."

"Yeah, there's tons of little brilliant moments throughout the series, and we certainly can't incorporate all of them. We are using a whole bunch of specifics straight from the comics, but of course, we're also having to do a certain amount of invention, and in between that, there's tons of re-appropriating, re-contextualizing, combining, consolidating, and all manner of things that literalists might not like. But what we try to be completely faithful about is the overall sentiment: that Dreams and Stories and Magic are actually all the same thing, and that they're real, and that they're powerful."

David Goyer says Sandman is getting a rewrite and will go into production next year

David Goyer has given an update on Warner’s forthcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s Sandman comic book series, revealing that the film should hopefully begin production next year. As a Vertigo comic book imprint, the property has been moved over to Warner’s sibling, New Line Cinema, but now that it's settled there, the screenwriter is confident that it’s all-systems-go on Joseph Gordon-Levitt's new film.

"We’re just about to do a new draft,” said Goyer in an interview with Collider. “All of the Vertigo properties ported over to New Line a few months ago. There was a decision from the higher-ups that New Line would focus on the Vertigo properties and Warner Bros would focus on the DC properties. So we’re just starting a re-write with a really fantastic writer that fans of your site will enjoy that’s coming aboard, but I can’t quite announce it yet.”

“I think that the Vertigo properties are a bit more quirky and off-centre than kind of the mainstream superhero stuff at Warners,” he continues. “But I understand the decision because we’re not having to fight for release dates with the Vertigo stuff like we would have been having to do over at Warner Bros. I feel confident that film will go into production hopefully next year.”

Sandman Movie Casting, News, and Release Date: Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Focus on Directing; Neil Gaiman Eyeing on Tom Hiddleston to Play Main Character Morpheus?

24621.jpg

It has been confirmed that 'Sandman Movie' is happening and what made is greater is the fact that the writer, Neil Gaiman' is actually involved in the movie now. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been tapped to be its director and David S. Goyer and Neil Gaiman will be producers. But what are the other updates in 'Sandman Movie' and who will play Morpheus?

In Goyer's interview with Deadline he said, "I hesitate to definitively say when it might go before the cameras, but the one thing different between other iterations and ours is that Neil Gaiman has been in the room with us and is a vital part of the team. We have a draft Warners is very happy with and we're moving forward, knock on wood."

There's also reports that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be playing Morpheus, but according to Neil Gaiman, Levitt will remain as the director of the film working behind the scenes, who he's eyeing for the role of Morpheus is either Benedict Cumberbatch or Tom Hiddleston, but since Cumberbatch is drowning with projects at the moment and with a new baby coming soon, it is most likely that Tom Hiddleston will take the role of Morpheus.

I hope this is all accurate, as I am liking this path they are planning to take more than Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing Morpheus and it going from movie to TV show. Though I think there is so much story to tell, it be better off as a streaming video series with limited dialogue restrictions. Not that Sandman had excessive cursing or violence.