• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New sales numbers for November 2013. Surprises ???

59 posts in this topic

Notables

Black Science 1 came in over 40,000 copies

TWD is making twice as much per month lol

Saga again holds steady at 54,000+

East of West is also holding at just under 33,000

The Wake stayed solid at over 30,000. Not too shabby for a mini.

Trillium also came in just over 20,000

Sex Criminals dropped a little but stayed over 20,000

Rat Queens dropped slightly to just under 12,000

Pretty Deadly fell hard. It may have to do with all of the variants but I think speculation was a little high on this one including my own.

A Voice in the Dark debuted at over 10,000 copies.

I don't understand why Letter 44, Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth, Five Ghosts, and Ballistic aren't selling more than they did last month. People are missing out on some great stuff imo.

Clone is down to around 5400 copies. Wow.

Bodie Troll only sold a little over 1000 copies. Neat story imo.

Edit: Drumhellar, Umbral, and Alex and Ada all came in over 14,000 copies each.

Interesting sales figures. Personally I wasn't in love with Letter 44, especially not at the 3.99 price point. I'm surprised at Trillium's numbers being that low, I would expect Lemire to have more of a following. Of course Black Science will drop some, but I would expect it to settle out close to EoW numbers. Fantastic art, recognized writer with a loyal following writing within his strongest genre. This has been such a good year for comics.

Even with a low print run, TV show announcements, relentless marketing by Ken, I am surprised Todd is still not exceeding its initial #1 print. That begs the question. What will it takes for a series to do an upward trend rather than spiraling downwards?

All these data just shows that betting on moderns is risky.

My personal predictions in the coming months:

EoW to drop below 30k

Rats to drop below 10k

Pretty deadly to drop below 20k

A few more books of note:

(116) Afterlife With Archie #2 19,188

(233) Rachel Rising #21 7,795 Keep an eye on this number. Terry says that the series is on the threshold of cancelation if it falls further.

(285) Afterlife With Archie #1 (re-orders I assume) 5,662

I wonder the same. Todd the Ugliest Kid is awesome. Plain and simple pure fun. If people don't buy it, their loss. Go look at other websites and little mention of any Image or indie title. I like Marvel and DC but I haven't read a great X-Men book since the numbering was in the 200s. Wolverine ? Try Old Man Logan or Not Dead Yet but the recent stuff ? No way, yet the other boards are full of talk about them. They used to be called Marvel Zombies until they actually came out with... you guessed it, Marvel Zombies :roflmao:

Betting on anything is risky. Remember Swamp Thing 37 in September ? Look now. I was more questioning why readership is so low when the quality of the books is so high. Do you really think there are 62 books better than East of West ? I'm reading over 80 different titles each month and I haven't seen them. I don't care if it falls under 10,000 copies, I will still be reading them. Rat Queens came in 174th place. lol

Predicting sales will fall is almost a given but are you actually reading any of these ? Rat Queens is fun with great art. East of West is just plain old great and Pretty Deadly has been not so good imo.

Turning moderns quickly is a lot more risky from your location than mine. Your best bet is to convince people local to you to try some new stuff . Then you could participate in at least reading stuff cheap or even free. Is the modern comic market that bad in Singapore or is there no market ? Anyway, good luck with whatever you're trying now and check out some of these cool books. (thumbs u

A few more books of note:

(116) Afterlife With Archie #2 19,188

(233) Rachel Rising #21 7,795 Keep an eye on this number. Terry says that the series is on the threshold of cancelation if it falls further.

(285) Afterlife With Archie #1 (re-orders I assume) 5,662

I don't read Rachel Rising but I know its on top of a lot of boardies' stacks. I hope it doesn't cancel.

I'm interested to see how the rest of the series progresses for numbers.

114,000 is insane. That blew out my highest estimates, significantly.

I hope they put out a quality book and who knows on the numbers. If it isn't Batman, its hard to stay at 100,000 plus. Love the tag line Flatliner. Those are some awesome books. :applause:

I still haven't read East of West. I still haven't read half the stuff I've bought in the last couple months.

I like Pretty Deadly. Gives me a solid Vampire Hunter D vibe.

I found the art hard to follow at some points in Issue #2. #3 tomorrow will determine if it makes it on to my pull list full time.

Love Rachel Rising. I'd be very upset if they cancel it.

I'm interested to see how the rest of the series progresses for numbers.

114,000 is insane. That blew out my highest estimates, significantly.

I hope they put out a quality book and who knows on the numbers. If it isn't Batman, its hard to stay at 100,000 plus. Love the tag line Flatliner. Those are some awesome books. :applause:

Thanks man.

I actually have to re-edit soon to take Ms. Marvel out, as I sold it this week.

Hoping to have some additions soon(ish) once CGC moves my books out of verified and gets around to grading.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you're trying now and check out some of these cool books. (thumbs u

I have read those stuff on the app. Can't beat 0.99 for east of west when image did a black friday sale earlier on (thumbs u

I understand where you are going with EoW but frankly, quality is a subjective thing. Even if it is a universally accepted good book, marketing is where the battle will be won. Just the few of us chatting here doesn't help. This is where a lot of independent titles suffer. No marketing + no brand recognition = declining sales.

On a side note, no matter how good the quality of the indie titles are, I still have to read my traditional super hero comics. The feeling just isn't the same. I like EoW but I am not as emotionally attached to the characters like how I am being attached to say, the Avengers, X men, etc.

You can say I read the indie for stories while I read the big 2 for catching up with the lives of my favorite super heroes.

As for buying and selling, I am doing much better now with older stuff. The latest win for me was TTT #44 where I had over 10 copies before the current spike began. The bigger margins means that shipping cost is less of an issue.

Voice in the Dark #1 will be a really interesting title at 10k. It's a considerably low run for an Image #1 while getting some rave reviews among critics & boardies. If Larime Taylor can keep up the quality as well as the deadlines, the #1 could have legs.

Not that low for a first-time creator/unknown on a new book. I was told to expect 3.5k, so blew that out of the water.

#2 dropped, as #2 usually does, but #3 is holding steady, maybe even bouncing back up a bit.