• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon (Fan Expo Dallas) -- May 16-18, 2014

319 posts in this topic

If they can draw 100,000 attendees that will attract more dealers and creators. Celebs are needed these days to draw, and that is fine as long as they are solid on the creator end of things too. You just need a case that can protect your books from bumps and bruises, which isn't a bad idea anyway. My brother and I roll with old briefcases, which work well, but computer bags with cardboard or even a backpack with some sort of protection will do the job. In any event, it isn't like the Irving Convention Center doesn't get crammed full of people....

Oh yeah, I usually place them in a box smooshed between boards per creator labeled by who I want to get them signed by. The one I almost wanted to go ballistic for was one of the CGC SS ones I had to have cracked by Desert Winds and then go up to the third floor to get an additional Signature for. Had a guy try to run up the escalator by me trying to make it in time for a speaker. Wanted to throw him over when he bumped into me and the book fell. Luckily after all was said and done it only dropped by .2...

Oh yeah, I usually place them in a box smooshed between boards per creator labeled by who I want to get them signed by. The one I almost wanted to go ballistic for was one of the CGC SS ones I had to have cracked by Desert Winds and then go up to the third floor to get an additional Signature for. Had a guy try to run up the escalator by me trying to make it in time for a speaker. Wanted to throw him over when he bumped into me and the book fell. Luckily after all was said and done it only dropped by .2...

Yeah, that is one of the joys of the venue in Irving, and a big reason I bring toploaders for all my books that will be getting SS'd. If you buy them in bulk you get get them for $2-3 apiece, and that expense is well worth it to protect against grade drops like that. They don't prevent them all, but you get a fighting chance anyway.

Next time try the elevator. It may take a little longer, but you're more likely to get there safely (and when the escalator is slammed you'll probably be quicker too). I've never had a problem getting on it, up or down, and I imagine as long as you don't take it every time you go up or down you'd probably be ok. It's surprising that more people don't use it.

The 4 names are very good, my concern is its a very crowded weekend for comics. You've got this show, the Motor City show in Detroit and the Big Wow show in San Jose, all drawing on comic talent. While I will be at the Big Wow show, I will probably be sending books to the Dallas show.

The 4 names are very good, my concern is its a very crowded weekend for comics. You've got this show, the Motor City show in Detroit and the Big Wow show in San Jose, all drawing on comic talent. While I will be at the Big Wow show, I will probably be sending books to the Dallas show.

Historically that is always the case for this show, at least the 3-4 years I've been going. They never get a weekend to themselves, and seemingly always get the same weekend as Big Wow and Motor City. We'll see how they go.

With a flight he might be able to pull that off. Say Saturday only at one and Sunday only at the other show. It's been done before. Not an awesome way to do things, but I guess that way he could do two different shows on the same weekend.

What's the cost to begin with?

Some vendors are already saying that they won't do the show because the price for a booth is too high..this event will be huge! Big celebs, big comic names, just huge.
\

New Vendors

1-2 Booths 695

3+ Booths 575

Corner space +100

Returning Vendors

1-2 Booths 550

3+ 495

Corner Space +100

Artist Alley

$275

Endcap $595

All prices are +tax as well.

Some vendors are already saying that they won't do the show because the price for a booth is too high..this event will be huge! Big celebs, big comic names, just huge.
\

New Vendors

1-2 Booths 695

3+ Booths 575

Corner space +100

Returning Vendors

1-2 Booths 550

3+ 495

Corner Space +100

Artist Alley

$275

Endcap $595

So...umm, out of curiosity... does that mean your going? :baiting: I know its a while away but would like to get a cover of something "Cable..ish" from you to get CGC'ed.

\

New Vendors

1-2 Booths 695

3+ Booths 575

Corner space +100

Returning Vendors

1-2 Booths 550

3+ 495

Corner Space +100

Artist Alley

$275

Endcap $595

So...umm, out of curiosity... does that mean your going? :baiting: I know its a while away but would like to get a cover of something "Cable..ish" from you to get CGC'ed.

Probably not.

But never say never.

Damn, maybe one of the Wizard Worlds, Alamo City, or Capital City? Either way I will find one to try to get a jump on.

No intentional HiJacking of this thread, but I'll be at the Austin Wizard World. :)

Hit me up before then if you go and we can get a project started. :)

Damn, maybe one of the Wizard Worlds, Alamo City, or Capital City? Either way I will find one to try to get a jump on.

No intentional HiJacking of this thread, but I'll be at the Austin Wizard World. :)

Hit me up before then if you go and we can get a project started. :)

Sweet... And now back to our previous broadcasting... How long before a list of creators comes out? And between Big Wow, and Motor City are there many more left? Just a simple question of possibilities especially with the shows coming in July and August and the others currently going on the same day. I see am up hill battle but really hope I'm wrong as I would like to attend this one. If anything to at least plug some holes in a few Adams Batman's and X-Men and of course X-Force.