• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon (Fan Expo Dallas) -- May 16-18, 2014

319 posts in this topic

Yeah that's why I was a little angry at the whole deal. To sell so few and to have them sell tickets before they even go on sale sucked. Even made sure to cut away from family at the time to purchase them. And yeah, every time I tried to purchase them it kept coming up with the error page constantly. Didn't see anything on the facebook site until after they had already sold out.

I hadn't checked their Facebook page in a while, but saw a post from March 20th indicating another wave of guest announcments in a week. So that should be hitting any day now. Apparently the Campbell, Baccarin and Tudyk additions were leading up to this next wave. It'll be interesting to see who else they may add.

Michael Rooker plus three more yet to be named Walking Dead guests added to the show according to the FB page. Hopefully the TBAs are announced this weekend. Lincoln is probably too much to hope for. :wishluck:

Their FB says another wave will be announced Wednesday, and they specifically mentioned horror guests. Also, not sure if anyone mentioned that Todd Nauck was added. Oh, and two "cosplay favorites" too, with a big :facepalm: for that particular announcement.

Their FB says another wave will be announced Wednesday, and they specifically mentioned horror guests. Also, not sure if anyone mentioned that Todd Nauck was added. Oh, and two "cosplay favorites" too, with a big :facepalm: for that particular announcement.

Wait, what? What FB post? I didn't read that one. And yeah, I'm with you, I don't like those cosplayer celebrities.

Either way, they adding horror guests is a blow for the horror show that has been talking about Dallas since last month, but they are nowhere close to DCC.

EDIT: I just read that post about horror guests on Wednesday. I hope they are big guests! I wish they could bring John Carpenter since he is doing two Wizard shows and Spooky Empire on May too.

Sean Schmell added to the Anime lineup... to be honest, this event was supposed to be 6x bigger, I haven't seen anything cool. Hope they add big guests because as of right now, the VIP was worthless.

Sean Schmell added to the Anime lineup... to be honest, this event was supposed to be 6x bigger, I haven't seen anything cool. Hope they add big guests because as of right now, the VIP was worthless.

For a "regional" show, having Lee, Shatner and pretty much the entire cast of Firefly is pretty big. I doubt you will see bigs like Hemsworth and the like due to their appearance fees being in the 6 digits and potential scheduling conflicts. Once the DCC has established higher attendance in the new location, perhaps we will see some of these bigs show up.

From a comic stand point, I was ecstatic that they got J Scott Campbell. This is the first time I have seen him come to Texas, since I have started collecting again.

Fillion is now on the Wizard tour, so he will be a lot less rare going forward. He'll be in Minneapolis two weeks before this show. I won't be surprised to see him in Austin either.

I think this show is growing, but isn't grown up yet. I'm willing to let them invest the time in growing the show. Fan Expo wouldn't buy something to let it remain a "regional" show, so I have high hopes. You also have to remember that there are two other large "regional" comic shows happening the same weekend with Big Wow and Motor City. They will soak up dealers and guests too. As I've said before, getting a weekend to themselves would be huge for DCC. It would mean better access to dealers, guests, and potentially fans who would travel to a destination show. With that recipe I think that Dallas could get up to the status of some of the larger destination shows, as it has the metro area to support one.

Unfortunately, Wizard has already announced that the St. Louis show will happen on May 15-17 next year, which is traditionally the weekend of this show. So if none of these three shows moves their weekend we could have four shows competing. I doubt that this will happen, and hopefully some or all can move around a bit. But I'd guess that DCC's weekend is set already, or close to it, so we may not see them with a weekend to themselves next year either.

After having gone to St. Louis last week I can honestly say I think it was only a success because it was the only show last week worth going. Had Capullo not gone, from a facilitator/CAW standpoint it would have been an absolute bust. Matt Smith wasn't nearly the draw Wizard thought he would be simply because his tickets were over the moon overpriced. Fillion and a few other celebs were the big draw.

For me I'm about the comic art and while EVS, Castillo, Mack, Christopher, and a few others are big for me, they are not the JSC, Finch, Claremont, and such creators that send me sprinting when I show up at a show and the gates go up. Most of the signatures for everyone were done day one and had Capullo had his private signing Saturday with us and not Sunday I would have been gone a day early. I just don't see St. Louis supporting Cons like other locations do so don't think Dallas will think of them as competition.

After having gone to St. Louis last week I can honestly say I think it was only a success because it was the only show last week worth going. Had Capullo not gone, from a facilitator/CAW standpoint it would have been an absolute bust. Matt Smith wasn't nearly the draw Wizard thought he would be simply because his tickets were over the moon overpriced. Fillion and a few other celebs were the big draw.

For me I'm about the comic art and while EVS, Castillo, Mack, Christopher, and a few others are big for me, they are not the JSC, Finch, Claremont, and such creators that send me sprinting when I show up at a show and the gates go up. Most of the signatures for everyone were done day one and had Capullo had his private signing Saturday with us and not Sunday I would have been gone a day early. I just don't see St. Louis supporting Cons like other locations do so don't think Dallas will think of them as competition.

I hope you're right, but Wizard has the ability to sign guests to long-term deals for their "tour" and that could impact who is available for Dallas. And even if 5% of the people who attend a St. Louis show would consider coming to Dallas instead that would significantly impact attendance and income for the show. I'm of the opinion that any large show that presents competition for Dallas is not a good thing. Any other larger show in other areas of the country will negatively impact the availability of guests, fans, and dealers, in that order (in my opinion) and any growing show can use all of those that they can get.

EDIT: I'm really starting to fear that the market is going to get oversaturated with shows. Wizard adding a February show in Wisconsin seems like the shark-jumping moment to me. I hope I'm wrong, and we're not at the moment the bubble starts to collapse on the larger shows, but I'm concerned.

It's interesting that you bring that up. I was shocked to see Wisconsin Wizard pop up (and in February of all times). I don't think it will have an impact on anything, but it feels like the market is getting saturated. I'll check it out as it's in my hometown, but I happily drive down to the Wizard Chicago show and C2E2 each year and this feels like "too much" to me...