• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOOM #2 – The First Appearance Of Wolverine, In 1973?

214 posts in this topic

If Olson's idea was named "Arthur" and in the New York Times, and not contest to find the next Super-hero, and looked like the Hulk, or the Thing, or a woman..and so on... Then it would be absurd to argue that there could be any relation.

However, in this case we have a situation where some people are trying so hard to convince people that a character in a Marvel publication called Wolverine could not possibly have inspired a character called Wolverine in a Marvel publication shortly thereafter.

I am not sure Olson's Wolvering inspired Wolverine, but I am certainly also not so sure that it could not possibly have been any inspiration. Denying the possibility with the facts of name, timing etc. in mind just seems illogical.

And please note that I don't use any face slapping and head shaking emoticons because I simply don't have a stake in this and don't want to discuss at that level - which is also why I will do my best to stay ou of this thread hence forth.

Wolverine's history is well documented. Don't you think one of the creators would have mentioned by this point (40 years later) that they originally got the name Wolverine (that is all this character has in common IMHO) from a contest back in the 70s? The fact that they never have, has me doubting this Wolverine drawing has anything to do with the Wolverine we know today.

If, and this is a big if, the name did inspire Wolverine (again, the name is the only common point), does that even make this a prototype? I would again have to say no.

So, no matter how this turns out (and we all know this is not going to have a resolution since none of the creators got inspiration from this submission, hence no more information is forthcoming), this is definitely not the first appearance of Wolverine and it is not a prototype.

I'm with those who say this is a coincidence.

But, if a collector is really hard up to spend some money, they should knock themselves out driving up the prices on Foom 2.

The conversation was centering mostly around what Andy Olson may have been influenced by and what his drawing looked like really.

Then I think he just got done watching an episode of Six-Million Dollar Man with the Fembots in it, then turned to Marlin Perkin's Wild Kingdom where he learned how 'the wolverine is one of nature's most vicious predators and can take on a grizzly bear if provoked', then took out a pencil and paper to bring his new robot-animal hero to life.

So really, Marlin Perkins created Wolverine.

44514641.jpg

OMG. Casey's right, the original costumes do look great in real life.

Wow, all that's needed is a picture of Danny DeVito to really put me in my place... :whatev:

44514641.jpg

Wow, all that's needed is a picture of Danny DeVito to really put me in my place... :whatev:

I don't get it. (shrug)

Is it just me or is there a sort sad realization in Stan's face there?

He's probably in the middle of reciting...."It's another $50, It's another $50...." over and over again to help him ignore the torture.

To add some gas to the fire, I believe FOOM 2 was a remainder/warehouse find book, probably from Marvel. I have some old ads listing that book available in VF/NM "in any quantity".

So don't invest too heavily peeps as someone is probably sitting on a landfill of these.

Probably the guy defending it so hard here.

:lol: :roflmao::jokealert:

-slym

44514641.jpg

Is Danny taller than you?

It's funny because I posted that Marlin Perkins comment *before* reading Andy's "Letter to the Editor" and then right there is him stating he saw something about a "wolverine taking on a grizzly bear", causing him to use that as the name.

I must be psychic.

44514641.jpg

No, is he taller than you?

And there is no democracy in this issue. If we made a democratic vote 600 years ago whether the earth is flat or round we might have gotten the answer "flat". Democracy is usually an extremely bad way to decide fact.

A misconception. At that time it was well known that The Earth is spherical.

Irrelevant to the issue.

Add some hundred years, and the point is there.

I am sure you know this.

It was relevant enough for you to use this analogy, but apply it unilaterally. (shrug)

Each side will see the other as the flat-earther, of course.

44514641.jpg

When he stands on his pile of money - yes.

44514641.jpg

Unfortunately Mr. Lee is not as wealthy as you think. He never owned any of his Marvel creations. But he is by no means hurting for cash, especially with all those signings and appearances he charges for doing the last ten years or so!

-J.

44514641.jpg

Unfortunately Mr. Lee is not as wealthy as you think. He never owned any of his Marvel creations. But he is by no means hurting for cash, especially with all those signings and appearances he charges for doing the last ten years or so!

-J.

In 1998 Stan signed a contract with Marvel giving him a $1 million annual salary for life.