• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Conserved Label

192 posts in this topic

No. Paper replaced.
yah plod. Wonder what color label they will use? I'm thinking red, orange, or white.

mmm, this is a tough one, cuz none of these would sound good when saying "RLOD", "OLOD" or "WLOD". what about a clear label? I like the sound of "CLOD".

Thanks for sharing this, nearmint, I had not heard about it elsewhere.

I am very happy about this development as I was one of those arguing for it a few years back. Hopefully, over the coming decade, the same kind of very slow attitude change, which I think gradually has nuanced the perception of the purple label, will occur.

No. Paper replaced.
yah plod. Wonder what color label they will use? I'm thinking red, orange, or white.

mmm, this is a tough one, cuz none of these would sound good when saying "RLOD", "OLOD" or "WLOD". what about a clear label? I like the sound of "CLOD".

all colours

= Rainbow label of death

RLOD

No. Paper replaced.

But should that make it a PLOD? If archivists are conserving historical documents with leaf-casting, should we follow that lead?

No, we shouldn't.

Conserved, in my view, is keeping the book from being damaged further by making small repairs. Like a tear seal for example.

Completely recreating a cover, or a large part of the cover, by leafcasting is a long way from a tear seal.

I am definitely intrigued by this. But it seems market driven rather than knowledge driven. Restoration takes many forms from very minor such as tear seals to moderate such as staple replacement and minor color touch to extensive such as piece replacement. (Just a few examples).

It SHOULD be the collectors' knowledge and understanding to perceive the various grades of restoration. I am still shocked when I see a question on the boards (not necessarily in GA) where someone asks "Is erasing dirt resto?' or "Is pressing resto?"

It feels like they are asking if a company like CGC says it isn't then they are OK with it? The collector should be knowledgeable about these things just as much as they are about artists, first appearances etc. But they often aren't and this leads to a commercial opening in grading books.

Some may know I studied restoration and techniques quite vigorously in the 80s. I spent about 40 hours with a major restorer back then in learning pressing, in-painting, tear seals etc. and the various tools and materials to achieve this,

I have always felt that any modification to the book that requires some form of artificial intervention is restoration, which includes pressing, dry cleaning and staple cleaning. These are processes intended to restore the book to a previous condition. These are VERY minor and should be seen as that. Yet many collectors just glom these techniques under the same Resto umbrella as the major techniques like in-painting, leaf casting and piece replacement.

I really do not get it.

So whatcha' think?

I've long thought that CGC should have just one color label. They could have a field on the label for Restoration/Conservation. If there is none, note "None". If either is present, provide a detailed description there. Let the market decide the value of each book and any work done to it.

I've never seen the value of having a separate color label system. This proposed "Conserved Label" will just unnecessarily confuse the market more.