• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM! Saga #1 First Print

39 posts in this topic

Thanks a lot for the info guys!

Sorry about the first scan I'll try and get a better one! Yeah looking at it I thought it was at least a 9.4-9.6 but hey I'll get it pressed and graded and see how it goes!

This book is cheap enough that you can sell this and just buy a 9.8. Save yourself the hassle of pressing and waiting (and hoping).

Calling this book a "9.2" is ridiculous in my opinion.

You guys do realize that CGC gives books with multiple spine ticks 9.8's all the time, right? 9.8 is not a mint or "perfect" book. It is NM/M. Therefore some minor defects are allowed.

-J.

And you called it a 9.4...wow glad we are "ridiculous" for disagreeing with you by 1 grade point. There are about 5 spine ticks that are visible from the scan, this is only the front and back cover and what is visible in the scan. You can't say its X with a press cause the book is currently not pressed. I assure you that any of the big time dealers wouldn't submit this hoping for a 9.8 or likely even a 9.6, you are welcome to ask Dre/JJ/Ryan etc to get their opinions but I definitely wouldn't sub this hoping for a 9.6 nor would I be please with this as a book 9.6 even if CGC gave it that.

Calling this book a "9.2" is ridiculous in my opinion.

You guys do realize that CGC gives books with multiple spine ticks 9.8's all the time, right? 9.8 is not a mint or "perfect" book. It is NM/M. Therefore some minor defects are allowed.

-J.

Your face is ridiculous?

No but seriously there are many multiple spine issues especially at the bottom where it looks like a chunk of paper is practically sticking out. Modern grading is a lot more strict on these defects, and it looks from your collection in your signature line you don't have that much experience to be mouthing off about grading standards on modern books.

Am I right or am I right?

Or am I right?

Or am I right?

The "chunk of paper" you're referring to appears to be a small bindery tear. CGC reportedly does not deduct for those.

And I personally own several 9.8 modern books that have more than one actual color breaking spine tick on them. Don't you as well? Spine ticks are not the same as reader creases. You also have to remember that you are looking at super extreme blown up pictures of this guy's book. If you were seeing it in person those "ticks" would be fractions of millimeters maybe even invisible. Nothing looks good in extreme close up lol. Or is the point of this forum to give a "worst case scenario" grade so that nobody gets their hopes up and comes back to the boards griping? A real world grade for his book is very likely a 9.6, a 9.4 on a bad day. It is definitely not a 9.2 from anything that is visible from those pictures. But if I take a magnifying glass to them I might see a speck of flea poop and knock it down to an 8.5. :jokealert:

I asked this in another thread but never got a response so I'll ask it here as well..... what defects are allowable in a 9.8 since that is not a gem mint or mint condition grade? It is only NM/M, therefore books in that grade can in fact have certain minor defects, no?

-J.

The "chunk of paper" you're referring to appears to be a small bindery tear. CGC reportedly does not deduct for those.

I asked this in another thread but never got a response so I'll ask it here as well..... what defects are allowable in a 9.8 since that is not a gem mint or mint condition grade? It is only NM/M, therefore books in that grade can in fact have certain minor defects, no?

-J.

Seems like you answered yourself. doh!

Can a 9.8 have 1 spine tick? Sometimes, not often.

9.8 have 2 spine ticks? I hope not

9.8 have 3 spine ticks? I surely hope not and if so likely got through qc or was a production defect.

CGC doesn't publish what is allowable in each grade but again if you sub a number of modern books you would know what makes a 9.8 more often than not. I personally don't EVER sub a book with a spine tick and hope for a 9.8

Saga 1 did have a bindery tear issue but some were hit harder than others in terms of size. Based on the scans posted in the thread they aren't blown up and appear to be almost lifelike size.

this is Udder ridiculous

mina-moo-md.png

Thanks a lot for the info guys!

Sorry about the first scan I'll try and get a better one! Yeah looking at it I thought it was at least a 9.4-9.6 but hey I'll get it pressed and graded and see how it goes!

I would say just buy it already graded. A 9.6 seems to be trending around the $85 mark. Shipping/slabbing/pressing (depending if you do a bunch at one time) will likely cost you $35 just for that. You can easily sell the book you have for $50+ which means you assume 0 risk in getting a 9.4 2c

-J.

Seems like you answered yourself. doh!

Can a 9.8 have 1 spine tick? Sometimes, not often.

9.8 have 2 spine ticks? I hope not

9.8 have 3 spine ticks? I surely hope not and if so likely got through qc or was a production defect.

CGC doesn't publish what is allowable in each grade but again if you sub a number of modern books you would know what makes a 9.8 more often than not. I personally don't EVER sub a book with a spine tick and hope for a 9.8

Saga 1 did have a bindery tear issue but some were hit harder than others in terms of size. Based on the scans posted in the thread they aren't blown up and appear to be almost lifelike size.

this is Udder ridiculous

mina-moo-md.png

Thank you iceman I appreciate the response and clarification. I normally would not sub a modern with spine ticks either, although as I said I have had some obviously unread and rare, expensive and almost irreplaceable variants with 2-4 ticks come back in the 9.6-9.8 range. Really, nothing too much worse than this gentleman's saga 1. Admittedly that is the extent of my modern submissions but I don't see why that warrants condescending remarks. I thought the purpose of these boards was to share knowledge, information and experience. Make no mistake, my low post count is utterly irrelevant and not indicative of my collection or experience as a collector. Part of the fun of these boards is disagreeing with each other from time to time. That's why I am perplexed why so many grown ups on here like to get so personal all the time.

-J.