• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New & Needing Advice for my Collection

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Brand new here, just wanted to introduce myself and also ask for a little advice.

I've been collecting comics since I was a kid (only 22 now) and now I've finally got a place big enough for me to show off my collection. There are about 20 key issues I'd like to display.

There is a large entry-way/room in my apartment which connects to all the other main rooms. It's empty and I think it would be the perfect place.

(few pics below of the space I'm wanting to fill)

I have a mix of CGC graded comics in plastic and standard bags and boards.

A few people have suggested just putting some shelves in, and others have said to get a proper bookcase/cabinet for them.

How does everyone else display their collection? What advantages/disadvantages are there to shelves, cabinets, bookcases etc?

db7b470a-9245-4647-8212-44603f763f3e_zpse9df35b2.jpg

eaef58c2-ac23-4dab-bbe1-64deec8f1fea_zps80bcb266.jpg2e0f451c-b995-4599-8d3e-7e356389591b_zpsaa906cf6.jpg

WTTB. the thread GAMBIT! Pointed out is great. Tons of rooms/displays there to give you ideas. Just don't ask about displaying comics and fading.

lol Feel free to ask whatever you want but be prepared to be reprimanded by "experienced boardies" that there have been (insert number) threads on the same topic. Don't let it stop you, this is what the forum is for. However, it might help to learn the "search" function if bi-polar aggressive rudeness offends you.

What key issues do you have? Pictures?

Do you have statues, posters, OA or other things to display as well?

FYI - sound like you have a very cool opportunity! Wish I had the space to display my collection...

if the space you have for display is in direct sunlight it isn't a good spot for books in cgc cases or bags and boards.

I highly recommend getting a spinner rack. It takes less space, the pockets can be bent/ adjusted to fit nearly anything and it holds 50 books if you can get a 10 pocket per side rack.

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

If this is the entryway room to your place my only concerns about displaying there would be fluctuations or exposure to temp/humidity/light from people coming and going... and theft. Not only are you showing your collection to friends and family, you're exposing it to anyone who knocks on your door or peeks through a window. And it makes it easier to simply grab a book on your way out for anyone you don't know very well.

But then, I'm kind of paranoid about those kinds of things...

WTTB!

WTTB!

I use the molding idea that I saw in the Got a Comic Room thread. It works great! Just use pieces of molding as shelves. I worked in a molding saw mill for 6 years, so I got mind for free, but it can be found for a pretty nice price.

The best thing to do is find a saw mill that specializes in molding and ask for scraps and cut them to length yourself. Free shelves!

Your comic room shouldn't be the first room you enter when you come into your place. It needs to be a "sanctuary"..... back, hidden, and away from the troubles of the world :popcorn:

if the space you have for display is in direct sunlight it isn't a good spot for books in cgc cases or bags and boards.

I highly recommend getting a spinner rack. It takes less space, the pockets can be bent/ adjusted to fit nearly anything and it holds 50 books if you can get a 10 pocket per side rack.

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

:o(worship):golfclap:

Here are a few pics of my favourite ones. Still need to send most of them off for grading. I do have a bit of hockey memorabilia I'd like to display in there but it's all wall-mountable stuff.

e8ce2539-a3e2-4b51-aa25-7cbca32e6a52_zpsec21a8a8.jpgaca52922-4477-4a33-bbea-860b39b82d27_zpsd1fdabaa.jpg366cc8a7-2666-4503-9118-c81db3c2477c_zps3bd95f47.jpg4ed078c3-a73c-420e-aff1-e16c82904b50_zpsf1d8cc90.jpg

8dbd3271-128e-48fb-808c-7634ad281147_zps26f7f7a3.jpg

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

I like that idea. Looks great! My brother works at Blockbuster, they're closing down here soon so I might see if I can have one of their spinners.

If this is the entryway room to your place my only concerns about displaying there would be fluctuations or exposure to temp/humidity/light from people coming and going... and theft. Not only are you showing your collection to friends and family, you're exposing it to anyone who knocks on your door or peeks through a window. And it makes it easier to simply grab a book on your way out for anyone you don't know very well.

But then, I'm kind of paranoid about those kinds of things...

WTTB!

I wouldn't want my collection right by the entrance door. Someone might slip a comic under their coat as the exit.

DG

Yeah I thought about that but I think It should be ok, I live in an apartment and there is a long hallway separating that room from the front door. Theres also no windows in there, just halogen downlights.

I was also worried about having them in the open, but that room is in full view of the rest of the apartment so if I'm not seeing my guests out, I'll at least be able to keep an eye on them as they leave!