• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel to Abandon Brick-and-Mortar Bookstores

154 posts in this topic

Research, Research, Research: The Newsstand/Mass Market

A decent article on the newsstand market, and the benefits associated with it. A few of us were discussing this on the Hellboy.com site a few years back when Marvel announced it was running an experiment in B&N bookstores of going back to the newsstand.

Oh well.

Wouldn't this be a positive thing for actual comic book stores?

Not if there are not enough stores around to pick up new readers and get them hooked.

Who Killed the Newsstand Comics Market?

Oddly enough, it was Jim Shooter who pointed out the relationship between Newsstand and Direct, and how the former would start new readers off leading to them then moving on to the direct market. Nowadays, he says it was not his idea to turn his back on the Newsstand Market.

Not if there are not even stores around to pick up new readers and get them hooked.

Oddly enough, it was Jim Shooter who pointed out the relationship between Newsstand and Direct, and how the former would start new readers off leading to them then moving on to the direct market. Nowadays, he says it was not his idea to turn his back on the Newsstand Market.

That's exactly how it worked for me in the 80's. bike to the drugstore, get a drivers license and start haunting the comic shops.

Not if there are not even stores around to pick up new readers and get them hooked.

That's exactly how it worked for me in the 80's. bike to the drugstore, get a drivers license and start haunting the comic shops.

Same here. I never saw a comic store until I was 18 years old.

Shoot, I was going to comic shops when I was nine or ten.

I lived in the middle of nowhere. The nearest comic shop to me was a couple of hours.

All I had was a drug store and mail order. :cry:

Shoot, I was going to comic shops when I was nine or ten.

I lived in the middle of nowhere. The nearest comic shop to me was a couple of hours.

All I had was a drug store and mail order. :cry:

:(

I was always going to my local LCS growing up, it was 3 blocks from my house and an easy walk. Would get some books at CVS/Walgreens/Te-Amo (Cigar store) but vast majority came from LCS. I do know that I got the issues for the Spider-Man Clone saga from my Walgreens, they traumatized me so much I remember where I bought them lol

I bought a few issues off the rack at my local mini mart as a young kid, but I started going to comic shops in the mid 80's and never really looked back. We had 2-3 good shops in Fresno from the mid 80's to the mid 90's when I got out of the hobby in high school. Now there is only one shop in town that carries current issues. I haven't been in Barnes and Noble in a while, but I don't recall them stocking individual issues, only TPBs.

My first exposure to comics was actually at a local flea market my parents visited. In my teens I bought current issues at 7-11 or Eckerd drugs (now defunct).

It's a shame large chain book stores won't be stocking these comics but the reality is these stores won't be around much longer anyway. Most of the brick and mortar book stores are closed by me.

1/2 a block walk from empire drug store on Selkirk avenue as a kid :cloud9:

I remember picking up GI joe #1 from there only to return it for another copy because the ink spill on the inner pages.

The old lady at the counter looked at me cockeyed but let me pick another copy.