• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts On Marvel Horror Type Books

27 posts in this topic

So I started collecting BA Horror with Marvel. Books like Werewolf By Night, Doctor Strange, Strange Tales Brother Voodoo, Supernatural Thrillers Living Mummy, Man-Thing and such. My tastes shifted to DC and Charlton for BA Horror. The grades tend to vary but with the exception of many of the WWBN which are in VG or F, the majority are in VF or better. Nothing earth shattering but overall a decent amount of Marvel horror and all in fairly long runs.

Thing is, in going through these, I am seeing some that would be 9.2 or better. Also a few "keys" like Spotlight 2 and WWBN 32. They do have some minor issues but overall are quite nice. Will be posting them soon for grade opinion.

So say the WWBN 32 and the Spotlight 2 both CGC in the VF range. And some of the Doc Strange, Man-Thing, Living Mummy and Brother Voodoo CGC in the 9.2 or better range.

What would you do? Sell them singly? As runs for the lesser grades? As one collection? Carefully determine what would CGC in the 9.2 (or should it be 9.4) or better and try subbing?

Most of you that know me know I rarely approach comics from a $$$ angle. but this is giving me deja-vu of when I had some really HG bronze I ended up selling for then a decent price but had things like ASM 121, 122, 238 with tats, GL 76 and more - all at truly very high grade.

So am just feeling the waters, so to speak. Would be nice to do some conversion to the books I collect but just not sure the best approach.

Other than the keys I'd sell them as runs. None would get a good return of your fees unless they came back slabbed 9.6 and higher.

Personally, I'd hold on to them until Marvel horror starts getting more respect in the marketplace. And I don't think you'll have to wait all that long...

Jim

Personally, I'd hold on to them until Marvel horror starts getting more respect in the marketplace. And I don't think you'll have to wait all that long...

Interesting bit of info. I have no real need to sell the books now. I can wait years if need be. Main concern is CGC upping prices for grading and possible shifting their concept of "Modern" (1975 and beyond) to a later date, therby costng a lot more for grading.

With respect to the WWBN's where I have been very active over the past year and a half. There are the 2 keys (1,32) these will fetch $$$ in 9.2 or better, I believe there was a 9.4 32 come in around $500 a few months ago. The TOD cross over and 33 are the lesser keys with the crossover #15 being a real comer recently. The rest of the books dont really sell all that well raw.

Obscure Marvel horror is just that, pretty obscure. I agree now is not the time to sell if that is your intention. Dr. Strange is not something I have very much XP with. I know #1 is coveted in HG the rest of the run confused-smiley-013.gif

Overall I do agree that if you are wanting to get rid of Marvel horror to finance other Pre-Code / BA purchases I would wait.

Though ask Shiv Man-Thing seems to be hot, that is one area I would hasten to see if you had anything slabbable and bring ot to market soon.

Man-thing and certain Marvel keys do well, but on the whole, I don't think Marvel bronze horror will reach the same level of market desirability that the DCs have (nor should they). They don't really have the same "horror" feel, IMO...they are more like superhero books with scary teeth and/or lots of fur. And the more obscure marvel horrorbooks are mostly old Atlas imprints, so that's not so interesting either...compared to the original, brilliant work of guys like Wrightson and Adams in the DC stable, there's just no comparison.

I've been in the process of dumping my Marvel horror in order to raise more scratch for DCs....mostly all gone now....a few went for a nice price (my Tomb of Dracula #1, for example)....though some sales were pretty disappointing (Supernatural thrillers, Frankenstein, Marvel Chillers). Generally speaking, the sale of 3 NM Marvels would buy me 1 NM DC.

I've been in the process of grabbing up all the obscure Bronze Marvel Horror reprint books along with the original stuff like Thrillers, TOD, and WWBN. I've been suprised how cheaply I've been able to put together runs. I haven't read much of them, but I absolutely love the covers.

I'm always amused when another title pops up that I didn't know existed, which happened recently with Worlds Unknown.

Man-thing and certain Marvel keys do well, but on the whole, I don't think Marvel bronze horror will reach the same level of market desirability that the DCs have (nor should they). They don't really have the same "horror" feel, IMO...they are more like superhero books with scary teeth and/or lots of fur. And the more obscure marvel horrorbooks are mostly old Atlas imprints, so that's not so interesting either...compared to the original, brilliant work of guys like Wrightson and Adams in the DC stable, there's just no comparison.

Well said! thumbsup2.gif

POV, I'd say it's a pure judgement call. You might as well slab the nicer keys (why regret not doing it if you're gonna sell 'em anyway), and sell the rest in runs by title. confused-smiley-013.gif

Other than the keys I'd sell them as runs. None would get a good return of your fees unless they came back slabbed 9.6 and higher.

Jim

Hmmm.... interesting, and I AGREE with you Jim. Actually, it sounds like you are giving investment advice with that second statement. But wait, what am I thinking? No one can make any money on investing in comics in the 21st century. confused-smiley-013.gifforeheadslap.gif --------Sid

yes, but DC is keeping the heat off of the far less common Charltons.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hush now! SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Eh!...What's that? Charlton's ye say? By gum, I think I'll start to collect 'em! grin.gif

Pov, I was weened on the Marvel horror books. I just loved them, but as I got into my teens my tastes definitly switched to the DC horror which always seemed a little more mature than Marvel while Charlton's were all ages approved! thumbsup2.gif

Stop it Greggy! Remember the 60's romance ones...... They are ALL that bad! grin.gifgrin.gif
But they are good in a bad sort of way! And yeah...the Charlton books suck in that genre as well! popcorn.gif