• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man 2099 1 & 2: Yellow-Labeled Pair...

14 posts in this topic

When Peter David was announced as a guest at NYComicCon, I felt it was a perfect opportunity to get these issues signed by the writer.

I will admit, I did a terrible job of getting my comics ready for signings. Many on the journals and boards prep each comic the right way by cutting out windows in their protective plastic sheets, color taping the borders of the windows, and adding notes to direct signature locations, even going as far as suggesting which color inks to use.

I did none of that and found myself often juggling several comics out in the open, praying that none of them would get abused by the crowds which swelled around me or by the signers themselves. So it comes as no surprise, that out of 32 Modern Comics which I submitted for grading with signatures, only 10 came back 9.8's. The rest were graded anywhere between 9.0 to 9.6... and I didn't get many 9.6's back either... so I will look at this as a lesson learned for next time.

But these two came back 9.8's. Why?

During the speculator boom of the 90's, I bought these issues solely thinking anything with the words "Spider-Man" stamped all over it would be a worthwhile investment. I am quite certain I didn't bother to read any of them at all, which is the biggest reason I believe the pair received 9.8 grades. Most certainly, back in the day, I plucked each issue from the newwstand rack, got home, slipped them into a plastic storage bag, and filed them away never to see the light of day, until last October.

The high grades also have to do with the quality of the publications, as Spider-Man 2099 #1's red foil cover is printed on hard coverstock. And I recall, in the 80's and 90's, as the average cover price of comics soared, so too did the improvement in page quality, with cleaner and thicker Mondo and Baxter paper used in favor of cheap newspaper pulp.

Anyway... whatever the reasons for the high grades, I'm grateful they scored high.

Of late, I've become a big fan of the yellow labels. Take a look at each comic in their slabs; the yellow label seems to broadcast the indigos, magentas, and crimsons... the cover colors really pop with luster! And the CGC has done a fine job with their encapsulations. These beauties are picture perfect!

BTW: According to the census, issue two, as seen here, currently ranks as the highest grade with a yellow label. Yeehaw!

Thanks for reading!

SW3D

14944.png

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Congrat's on getting both of those back in pristine condition. I haven't had a chance to find Mr. David at a convention near me, but have a few of his that need that same yellow topped boarder as yours. For some reason the 2099 series was one that as a kid I jumped on early but for some reason just kinda walked away. Kinda wished with the future X-Men and all in the All New X-Men series they would have pulled in a few of the 2099 X-Men though. Could have spun up a little interest in the past series.

No worries K-Man... be glad to help.

We'll communicate a few months before the show to see if Peter David is going to do the show... and if there are others, we can work it out.

Happy New Year!

SW3D

BTW... if you need some signatures at NYComicCon 2014, you let me know.

If Tnerb can do it for RonnyLama and Bag O' Fleas, I should also lend a hand to you guys.

This message also goes out the Meshugga and Surfer99.

Just don't bombard me with too much. :)

SW3D

That's pretty cool. David is a talented guy and the character has shown lasting power over the years as he is written into various places around the Marvel Universe.

Congrats.

Thanks Brandon!

Happy New Year!

I know you are taking a break from the 30 day challenge, but I hope to read about some new acquisitions for your pen real soon.

SW3D

And a Happy New Year to you also! Yes, I have been taking a break from the journals but I have made a recent purchase, there are also some auction previews in the upcoming weeks that fit with my recent purchase. This will follow with a journal, regardless of whether on not the upcoming auctions yield any results.

Thanks Buzz. Peter David is a really cool guy. I bought some signed manuscripts he wrote for X-Factor which he signed. I'm hoping he comes back to NYComicCon in 2014.

Happy New Year!

SW3D